NJ Watch Party: Ecuador-US March 25th

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Sweeper, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Spoke with a bar owner in East Hanover, NJ about having a watch party for US-Ecuador on March 25th. The place is the Sports Bistro on Route 10 in the Ramada. He promised to close off a wing of the bar with a big screen and several smaller ones if anyone is interested.

I need to gauge interest in this to see if it's worth pursuing and him reserving a space for us. He'll bill the game on the marquee outside Route 10 as well the week before the game happens. Please pm or email me (Kristianrdyer@yahoo.com) to let me know if you're interested in attending.

Here's a link to the place:
    http://www.ramadaeasthanover.com/Sports Bar.nxg

KD

2. GUYJ

GUYJ Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    I would be up for it. And I have been to the place a number of times - very good sports bar.

3. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there. It isn't a weekend unless I'm somewhere on Route 10.

4. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    No ESC Watch Party at Stout on Sunday at Noon?

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there will be...last i heard.

6. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999

Well, Stout Bar's no Ramada Inn...
    ...but we should be sorted for talent and taps in midtown.

Put in a reservation for the Ecuador match w/ Stout same time as "Dos a Cero". Let's hope the asian bartender from Mobile is working that day too. Her "Bammer" accent is twice as thick as yer friendly neighborhood ape man's. 'Tat jes aint sumpin ya see ever-day, or heah neithuh.

TRANSLATION: Its like the 10th wonder of the world...
    ...only differnt.

7. RichieZ16

RichieZ16 New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Denver
    I've been to the ramada on Rt10 and it's very soccer friendly. The owner will put it on the big tv's but isn't the shit ncaa tourney on then?

8. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basketball won't start until about 2:30 as it will be the regional Finals

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    BTW, her name is Shannon and while the accent does tickle the Yankee ear, it's no so much that you'd notice. :D She can pour my draft anytime, Er, whatever.

"Coke. Regular. In a Tall Glass."

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Even if you don't like it, there's no need to knock it. Millions more enjoy March Madness than MLS or the USMNT.

11. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    What Jamison is really saying, is that she is next on his list. ;)

12. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Yeah, you're right about that. 25 TV's and a full menu. How dare someone try to organize something convenient for NJ people. The horror!

13. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Right. Perhaps that thick skin you ordered from the Page 2 fan shop should have been overnighted, Dyer, as I'm just not seeing the perceived slight. But if Mr. Fish joins ya on Rt. 10 you will certainly have the best dressed watch party in metroland. Enjoy!

As for horror in this thread, its provided soley by our modboy master of dialectical nuance,
    Mr Tickler. <g>

14. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know how more convienent you can get for everyone invloved that to have the watch party located on the doorstep of the Long Island Rail, The NJ Transit Rail, the PATH rail, and the second largest NYC subway stop around. Jesus that area is accesable by almost everyone in a 30 mile radius with ease.

ESC has memebers from LI, NYC and is bouroghs, and NJ....can you name me a place that is more convienat for all involved? Sure it may be more convienat for you and a couple others to just stay in Jersey, but what about everyone else? It be more convienat for me to just stay in Hoboken and watch the matches with Kearny Army at Mulligans...but it wouldnt be so great for other ESC guys.

The above is more a Red Bulls related viewing thing. The US-equador match as far as i am concerned is a watch wherever match, if you can and want to make it out to stout then please do, if not, well dont. But for Red Bulls matches...we all should be together if possible, it just makes the game that much more enjoyable for all.

15. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Congorilla, point taken. The thick skin is on law-away until my cat juggling pays off.

For some of us an hour away from the city's outskirts, it is a bit of a haul time and expense-wise. Once in awhile, it might not be bad for the Jersey guys (weeknights and such) to meet in a central location and watch, especially if the guy is willing to support us. I mean, for some WCQ's and such, the guy is willing to give us space, a big screen and several smaller TV's in our own room. Worth pursuing, no?

16. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a balancing test really.

The reality of our location means that we have to do our best to satisy everyone as best as possible. ESC went out of their way to select a bar at a place where everyone could get to with minimal hastle.

Now if you live over an hour away somewhere, yes i can understand that you may not want to make the trip regularly. If you can get a few likeminded individuals to join you, yeah it is worth pursuing.

My comments where limited more to people that could easily get here from NJ or LI but choose not to join their ESC brothers/sisters for matches because it is "easier" for them to go to the pub across the street. If everyone thought that way we wouldnt have a pub at all.

A few people really put their necks out there to find a place where everyone can go and actually watch a game hassle free with other like minded fans and have a real atmosphere on match day when the team is away. I guess i just see it as counterproducive to have a bunch of alternative viewing sights popping up with only a handful of people here or there when we can have one centrally located place where we can get 50-100 Red Bull fans to watch the game together.

17. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    If you're in NYC, there is no excuse not to go, but for at least me, I'm not going to schlep an hour into the city and an hour back to spend two, maybe three hours when there is an alternative about 1/2 that distance away (at most). This shouldn't be about undermining Stout or the work put in by the ESC brass, but it might be a good opportunity to make new friends. The place is willing to host, clear a spot and bill our event. He said we can have ESC items and information in the bar. It's just a good way to get the word out.

18. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make some good points, but i think you are the execption to the rule here. I definatly understand if people are out the way time wise for transportation of or not near public transportation. i think as we grow in numbers it is inevidable that we may have 2 seperate viewing locations for ESC, one in NJ and one in NY. But we dont have the numbers now to pull that off. Maybe when we get closer to 500-750.

If you live in NYC or within a short train ride there should be no excuse either. PATH connects the Newark-Jersey City-Kearny-Hoboken areas to the city. NJ transit connects as far away as Woodbridge, Morristown, North Bergan etc and more only 30-45 minutes away. LIRR connects similar time and distances to most areas. If you live in this catchment area and cant be bothered to join your fellow supporters for weekend games...well i guess nowhere is going to be convienant for you.

FWIW- It takes me about 30 minutes to walk from my house to PATH and get to West 33rd.

19. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange &lt;-&gt; NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand both sides here.

As I father of two young kids, though, It's a much easier sell to the missus to be gone for 15 min. on either side of the game in NJ vs. 40-60 min. for the trip to NYC.

Will this be for every game? No, but it's worth finding a suburban NJ home away from Stout, even for 4-6 games/a season.

Don't forget, there's going to be A LOT of televised US & Red Bulls this season, with Gold Cup, U-20 World Cup, and Copa America.

and MAAAAN, the suit and tie will be in the closet for this one... :)

20. Beerman

Beerman Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Denville NJ
    I'll be staying in NJ for this one. Stout is a great place but the early start time and the one hour and 20 minute train ride ( it makes more stops than the special Ed bus does in DC) plus the $35 fare for Cindy and I make the Bistro a little more
    appealing.

I'll still go to Stout but it would be nice to have a local alternative on occasion.

21. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to either location due to the early start time. However, a NJ location is a good idea for the folks that don't want to commute to NYC.

22. jevanvoo

jevanvoo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Manhattan
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be in Charleston cheering for the bulls at the Challenger cup! :D

23. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I'll be there with 1-3 others. PM sent on the metroFan boards.

24. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Count me in.

25. Rose8675

Rose8675 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    New Jersey
    Sorts Bistro is a really good place to watch games. Although every time I have seen USMNT games there they have lost, so I now have to put it in my book of unlucky bars.

I think I might actually be in NYC though that weekend. Anyonme going to Nevada Smith's (one of my lucky ones)or Central Bar?