Nitty Gritty NE-Metro Analysis

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Vistula, Oct 27, 2003.

1. BobtheMetroStars12thman

Nov 18, 1998
    Without getting into individual players, matchups, lineups and strategy, all I know is this is an aggregate series. That means Metros have to score more goals than Revs over a 2 game series. Someone please explain to me how Metros can outscore anyone over a 2 game home and away series when they have rarely scored more than a goal or two in any game all year and are pretty dismal at home.

Then if it's that close and they're actually even on goals, well ok they would have a major advantage because we all know how they've been pulling the miracle goal all year, this time it would be in 30 minute Golden Goal. But if it comes down to PKs, Metros probably have the worst PK conversion rate all time in MLS.

So let's hope for some Metro luck because I'm not that confident based on this season's history.

GO METROS!!!

2. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    0-0, 1-0
    or 1-1, 2-1
    or 1-1, 1-0

Take your pick. You're right, I doubt Metro wins if it comes down to aggregate goals. But if we get a win and a draw the quesiton is moot. If we are even on goals, I like Woly's chances in golden goal period. And PKs, as crappy as we've been lately, are always a crapshoot.

It's definitely winnable. In fact, I like our chances better in a short series like this (which benefits defensive-oriented teams like Metro) compared to the best-of-3 series in recent years.

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Not this joke again.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm ...
    Let's see:
    Last team to win from either city in the major 5...
    Baseball, NY Yankees, 2000. Okay, that's one.
    Football, Patriots, 2002.
    Basketball, Celtics 1986 (God, whatever happened to these two franchises).
    Hockey, Rangers (mid 90s if I remember correctly)
    Soccer, neither team has won anything. We were in MLS Cup last year, and the Open Cup final the prior. NY was in the Open Cup final this year.

Yeah ... just like you said, in every sport.

Anyway, I am actually worried about this round. The Revs have played the Mutts very well this year, and I'm hoping they can keep it up. Come away with a tie on Saturday, and I will like our chances. But if the Revs lose, the following Sunday could be a tough one for our 11...

Monty

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Devils are technically closer to NYC than the Metros, by a few hundred yards.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. :) Actually I just mentioned the Rangers since the comment was about NY teams ...

7. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    If they are included then the Nets have owned the Celtics in the playoffs the last two seasons but of course they can't beat anyone in the West after that.

8. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Giants?

9. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    I am concerned about the plastic grass situation. Our guys seem to get hurt on it, as we play on the real thing. So a draw away will be a good conservative result, and then a sound thrashing at the big Razor should see us through.

I wonder if Bloomberg is secretly rooting for NE, like he was with the Sox? And will Menino bet him some proper clam chowder again?

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    All I know is that if Pat Noonan scores a goal early on in Game 1, it's series over. The Metros will think they're jinxed.

They're already playing a mental game right now of pretending the last two results didn't happen. As long as they keep dreaming, they're fine--I even think a 0-0 tie at home would be OK considering how well they've played on the road.

And if Dario Fabbro scores a meaningful goal, we might as well head for the storm cellars because the Apocalypse is on its way.

(By the way, there's no excuse for not being able to beat a team starting Dario Fabbro at striker.)

11. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    Noonan hasn't played against Pope the last two games. I relatively confident that it will be Pope keeping an eye on him and that Noonan will have a very quiet game. My guess is that it is going to be scoreless late and someone may get an ugly goal.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Rule #1 don't allow the first goal to the Revs in the first 15 minutes of the match. A bad start leads to climbing out of a hole you can't get out of. So add to this Rule get of to a good start at the beginning of the match.

Rule #2 get at least two or three defenders back when Noonan & Fabbro has the ball in their own end. So far it has been the Pat Noonan show in the last three matches, but when Fabbro scored his first two for the Revs in those back to back matches against Metro he looks like he has started to click.

So basically Metro must be ready for the Revs at all times and no let downs at any point of the match. In all fairness Metro should be a better side than the Revs because both Twellman & Joe-Max Moore are not available. Noonan has virtually picked up the scoring slack for the Revs and now that Dario Fabbro has netted two, he has confidence and that is something the Metro must kill on both these players before it really gets out of hand.

True that if Metro can get an early jump and continue to score and defend at a good pace then they can take advantage of the Aggregate.

Time for all the crap to get thrown out. It's playoff time and I am pumped for it. LET'S GO METRO!

13. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    GIO17 has good points. Cover Noonan and shoot for first blood.

If Pope & co. can supress the attacks, then what we need to see happen is several Metros having a go at the goal. Not just one, but a veritable barrage of attacks from the middle, wing, long shot, take on defenders, and have at least two or more having a go at all times. Variety and teamwork.

We've had that kind of intensity from time to time, usually toward the end, but if we could really take it to them right from the whistle then Metro will truly play the beautiful game.

Very psyched! (and glad I found the thread on the boards that actually talked about the playoff game itself)
    GO Metro!

14. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    I'm very confident that Pope & Company (mostly Pope) will shut down Noonan. I'd be very suprised if he scored tomorrow. I'm more worried about their attack from the flanks - Ralston and Kamler. That is where we are vulnerable.

Our record may not be great against NE - but I have a very good feeling that we will take this series. Their backline can be very shaky and that will be the difference.

15. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    metrosct: traitor! I can't find Rowayton on the map, but I assume it's in Fairfield County.

16. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    Pope will shutdown Noonan. There is no single player he cant shut down. if the outside backs play well we're thru.
    if we just try to shoot we'll score 3 goals. Hopefully 2morrow they'll give my "taking shots on goal" strategy a try.

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right around Darien.

18. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I completely agree. This has the makings of a game decided by set pieces. The Revs' back line (including Heaps) is not as bad as some would suggest, but the Revs are appalling at maintaining composure in physical matches or when they are behind. I think I agree with pretty much everyone that Pope is the Metros' key asset. On the other hand, Guevara has been looking increasingly fragile as the temperature has been dropping. The key for the Metros will be finding a way to maintain possession. Even with "Klank" Fabbro, the Revs will find a shooter if given adequate time on the ball.

19. TTweLLMan

TTweLLMan New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Middleboro MA
    This oughta be fun...

20. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    That's cause it's the size of a shoe, but I work about 3/4 of a mile from there. It's just southwest of Norwalk, east of Darien.

Look for Stamford, draw a line to Norwalk and look right of that line on the water. About 50 miles from NYC.

It's home of the $ 450,000 2 bedroom cape style fixer-upper on an eighth of an acre, but that's a lot of towns around there.

21. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be running on last night's fumes, but I think Clint is going to have a good game today.

To the defense, please find Noonan and mark him this time.

22. RevsNumberONE

RevsNumberONE New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    New Jersey
    wow you could not have been farther from the truth...or at least reality. You might need to re-think that assumption for next sunday, and makeup a new strategy, because that one didnt work :-D GO REVS!!!!!

23. RevsNumberONE

RevsNumberONE New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    New Jersey
    Start running...:)

24. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    We had no chance at beating Chicago and neither do you sad but true.

25. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States