Nirvana weren't that good (or were they ???)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Doctor Stamen, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll admit that I think of my favorite Floyd as being what a lot of purists would probably call the more commercial stuff, from Meddle to The Final Cut. I've been thinking of doing a short NFL Films-style (that is, narrated in a deep John Facenda-ish voice) YouTube Winning Eleven highlight video using parts of Echoes, Welcome To The Machine and Time for the soundtrack.

But why do you think of it as pretentious? Really, I'd like two answers to that- one specifically regarding Floyd, and the other regarding music in general. How does one determine what music is "pretentious" and what is not? It's music, period, IMO.

:confused:

No, like I said, I'm partial to the Gilmour and Waters-led albums. I know that's everything but Piper, but of those, really only from Meddle to The Final Cut. I saw the Division Bell tour in Birmingham, but I was never that impressed with the album itself.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can't edit. "Everything" meaning Piper up until Waters split after TFC.

The mods said this card would be a badge of honor. I'm about ready to trade in some of that honor for some convenience. August 8...

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    They were, no foolin'... the melodies buried in honest fury, the dynamics between verse and chorus, the challenging yet sincere lyrics, the powerful rhythm section.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

4. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Why would they not be able to strip it down to their Punk Rock roots and rebuild from there? Why does it have to be the Blues?

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not my opinion. I think that everything from them is class. I have heard from others who believe they know more than we do about music that everything from Animals on until Roger left had a certain smugness to it.

The album, eh. The stage show, killer.

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you meant

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sounds like maybe they met Roger and found him smug. That I could believe- I suppose anyone who attracts positive attention and/or conversation because of something he's done is going to puff his chest out at some point or another. The music? IMO, no character trait such as smugness can be attached to that.

Absolutely. I'm walking under the stands at Legion Field, and I pass an area where I could see the stage as I was walking by. That first glance was awe-inspiring. Even better once I got to my seat. No wonder they played only one venue every other week or so... probably takes them that long to tear down, pack, transport and set up again. All this while the band itself flies to the next city (or wherever) and chills for a few days.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Phish the night after that show (at 5 Pts Music Hall) and they had gone to the Pink Floyd show. They opened up their show with "Great Gig in The Sky" :)

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they actually sing it or did they use the vaccuum cleaner like they do for Purple Rain? That's a hell of a song for a lady to sing let alone 4 dudes.

10. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I like their unplugged set a lot.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start it. I'm in.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Always cool to hear about musicians suporting other musicians, especially when they're famous enough that they don't have to.

Sorry Nico- I cannot get into this tune. Probably because everyone I know who knows it thinks it's the most incredible thing they've ever heard. It's nothing but gospel/R&B vocal masturbation. I grew up hearing better singers on those rare occasions when I went to church.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vaccuum :p

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's one of my least favorite Floyd tunes. I was merely relaying a memory. I didn't have enough money to go to the Floyd show, so I went to the Phish show instead since they weren't huge at that point and the ticket was only about $15.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know. Sorry- I've just been around too many people who have not grown up listening to the vocal music that is the basis for what the woman in Gig tried (and failed miserably) to do.She's just wailing with no rhyme or reason, and the credit she gets for that both astounds and sickens me.

I could sling a deat cat in any Black Baptist church east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon line and hit three girls who would have done a better and more focused job. Not going any further along this line of thinking, but if she were not Black, no one would take her seriously.

I'm going to find out more about Phish one day. I'm just waiting for the hype to die down.

16. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Composed while watching the tornado scene in the Wizard of Oz :p .

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Huh. forgot about that. I've never done the album/video thing. Does it work?

I swear, every time I hear that part, I wish Floyd had just hired Cher or Carole King or Barbra Streisand or Carly Simon or somebody to do all that yelling. Then we could just fast forward through it and listen to the rest of the album.

18. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Yeah.. it's a bit eerie, but over-blown. I think you could find coincidental matches between lots albums and movies if you try enough combinations. The crescendos and decrescendos of that song and the movie match particularly well.

I agree though. It's one of the weaker songs on the album.

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She wasn't black

[​IMG]

If you do start with "Rift" and "Picture of Nectar" for studio albums and try to get the bootleg for New Years Eve 1997 from MSG and Halloween 1999 from Vegas. In both shows, they did an extra set (they usually did two per show) as a cover of a great album. At the MSG show they did the White Album, in Vegas they did Loaded by the Velvet Underground.

Just a taste for you

[youtube]om2EQ7YXork[/youtube]

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Busted and informed. Thanks for the info.
    Without the prior knowledge, what would you have guessed?

Thanks!

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The White Album show was Halloween 1994 (Glen Falls, NY) and the Velvet Underground show was Halloween 1998 (Las Vegas.) Both were officially released.

I wouldn't start with those two for a live show though. As fun as those shows are, they're kind of gimmicky (and my favorite one is Halloween 96 when they did Talking Heads' Remain in Light.)

A great live disc to start with is New Year's 1995 from MSG in NYC or the show from Fukoaka, Japan in 2000. Both officially released.

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. So close.

23. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    How is the blues descending into minstrelsy? Curious to hear this opinion fleshed out.

24. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Somehow, a discussion about Nirvana has segued into a discussion about bloated arena rock dinosaurs and jambands.

To get it back on task, enjoy this bootleg (in m4a format) of one of Nirvana's shows in Rome, recorded about a month before Cobain killed himself. Look for the "download link" link at the bottom of the screen.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wjqdf0

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how that could happen, staying on topic has always been on of BigSoccer's strengths. ;)