Nike/U.S. Soccer: Don't Tread On Me

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by The Magpie, Oct 12, 2005.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. :)

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This is such a **************** response. I know you're bigsoccer's resident Soccer Fema-nazi, Andy, but clearly the Womens National team has absolutely nothing to do with this ad campaign. The women's program has had great success in terms of generating sponorship. Obviously some NT sponsorship is shared but there have been plenty of big profile national ad campaigns featuring WNT players. Moreover the women have obviously had more success with that than the men for obvious reasons. To my mind this is be biggest and broadest scope of an advertising campaign for the men, lets not try to insert some socio-political soccer agenda into it just to be some kind of pantywaste smart ass.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Waahhh, waahhh, waahhh

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting back to the topic of this thread-- I still get pumped up when I watch that video again. I know this is a calculated business decision by Nike, but that's what we've all been saying we need-- more $$ behind soccer.

Think about it-- Nike just decided that men's soccer in the US is worth a significant ad campaign. I promise you this-- they ain't doing it out of the goodness of their heart. They are convinced that we are on the rise and they are going to see a big return. That's a powerful statement on behalf of US Soccer.

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wrong-- there are two.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is true.

7. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, why did you even have to start a women's team argument in this thread? Give me a break.

The whole point of the Don't Tread on Me campaign is to make Americans think of soccer like the rest of the world does. And the rest of the world doesn't care about their women's teams either. Let's worry about supporting our national team first. And you knew he was talking about the one that mattered, the men's.

8. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    How about instead of disrespecting the WNT, you respect both mens and womens? Is that hard?

Nike isn't promoting men over women. They're promoting soccer. Period.

9. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I think it's interesting that DMB is the focus of the campaign and not LD.

My guess is that because Adidas is going to own everything that is MLS next year, Nike wants to hype the players that are on the Nike teams..... like PSV.

I think DMB is the best and most exciting player on the MNT, but LD has been the poster boy for US Soccer the last 3 years.

DMB is very much the type of player that Nike has in the ads. Not from a soccer "hot bed", but from a small midwest town. I doubt he was your typical "minivan" player as a kid. Sure he had advantages once he made it into the US youth program, but I'm guessing he played in lots of games on playgrounds and back yards.

10. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Amen Brother!
    Anyone who was in Korea and experienced the transformation of the country when they rallied around the "Be the Reds" campaign will agree that it is exactly what soccer needs in the US. They are still selling the shirts on the streets in Seoul. Everyone in Korea had a shirt and wore it everywhere... to work, to school, and definately to the games or just watching in the parks.

Get the shirts, apply the logos and be the first on your block with the DTOM car. Buy some shirts and give them to friends. Let's fill up the band wagon before the WC so they know what to do next summer. It'll take all the bodies we can get to get the ball rolling but with a monsterous company like Nike backing it, it shouldn't be too hard.

11. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Theory 945 on the color of the new MNT jersey......
    So far Nike hasn't made a blue DTOM shirt. Hopefully this is a sign that they will make a red jersey next year.
    That or this is their consolation prize for another blue away uniform. Let's hope for the first variation!

12. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Yank Army flashback CH? ;)

13. Actually, you can.
    Windows automatically saves all internet files in its "Temporary Internet Files" sub-folder, which is located deep in your "Documents and Settings" folder. You can use Windows Explorer to go to this file and then copy it to another location... such as your desktop.

This is the file name to look for: nike_sstag_med_432

(ps... if you can't find it, I can email it to you. It's about 4.5 megs)

14. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong.

15. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if anybody's posted this, but in a cursory glance I didn't see it...just got my ESPN the Magazine on Saturday. Tossed it on the counter and I see the So Says This American Game manifesto on the back cover. Pretty cool to see.

16. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    I shall refer anyone who ever questions my prescience to you, Doggie.

17. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    It's been a while since I've posted, but I couldnt let Chowder go it alone on this one. I'm feeling pretty good about what the Yank Army got started with this. I wonder if anyone out there will "officially" recognize how DTOM first came about on the US Soccer scene. Likely not, but it'd be cool to see it somewhere.

I love the campaign; it makes me feel damn good on a whole number of levels.

18. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Just call me the Oracle :D

Missed you in Hartford CH.
    Jim

19. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Anyone seen the logo as a window decal?

Or is there any make-your-own window decal type of thing out there?

It would look good next to my US Soccer decal.

20. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, they handed out some decals while exiting the stadium in Foxborough. There are square ones (about 4" square I think) that are exactly like the huge banner Andy posted the photo of previously, and round ones (about 4" diameter) that look kind of like a target, outer ring blue, then white, then a large red area in the middle with a white star and the black coiled snake logo over it.

21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else get teary-eyed watching those commercials?

22. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was nice of Nike to make this into an easy stencil.
    [​IMG]

23. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
  24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As one who put the dosh in for the big DOTM flag i won't forget where it started. Good to see its caught on after a few years.

Mikey

25. cwt9

cwt9 New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Anyone know what's Nike's advertising budget for this awesome campaign?