Nike Thread [19] - Post all info, pics & questions here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceburg333

iceburg333 New Member

May 17, 2013
    When
    When is the release date for these on soccer.com?

2. Zizou15

Zizou15 Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "As recommended by Scunthorpe's reserve centre forward". :D

3. Mercurial4991

Mercurial4991 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I could find a pair of those 2.1 Merc's in my size... :(

Jorma repped this.
  4. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

wish they would. was lucky enough that the shop i went to only had them in half a size smaller than my usual size. haha

5. Jorma

Jorma Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What size are you mate I can try and help :)

cliftonjosh, Dr. Boots and Mercurial4991 repped this.
  6. Mercurial4991

Mercurial4991 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Size US 9... Would love to try and get my hands on a pair.

7. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You have a good chance of getting a pair of Jorma is on the case! #MrNike

appleCORR

Jorma and Dr. Boots repped this.
  8. snowman3000

snowman3000 Member

Mar 11, 2007
    I remember seeing an ad for the mercurial 2.1 with Ronaldo dressed for a Safari hunt! Anyone can find it / remember is?

Dr. Boots repped this.
  9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Which ones were these??

10. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Since I've only been in the boot loving game for a few years, my favourites would have to be the IV's, as Dr.B said, the IV SL's though. I think the IV's had better colour ways for me than any boot I've seen released as a series and the black carbon fibre was just a wickedly mean looking addition! Add on to the fact, and I'm waiting for David89 to chime in here, that they used pine green (hands down besides black, my favourite boot colour ever), top notch boot for me anyway.

11. snowman3000

snowman3000 Member

Mar 11, 2007
    These: http://korki.com.pl/photos/korki-lanki-nike-mercurial-2-1-roz-43-44-5-45-1662815959.jpg
    It says something like, Ronaldo hunting for goals or something like that...awesome stuff!! :D

And yes, the Mercurial 2.1 had a fantastic outsole and great upper.
    I still prefer the III tho, especially the Zinc/Tart really molded on my foot after a short while. I love that snug slightly restricted feel, it seems to contain my feet better than K leather.
    The yellow heel foam worked nicely although it seemed to fall apart pretty quickly along with that useless carbon fiber piece in the midf0ot. Also the cement that secured the heel studs to the plate starts to fail after a while making the whole cleat quite unstable.
    Nike lost me with the Vapor IV. Never liked it esthetically, hated the cover over the laces and size wise it felt different.
    Now the IX are definitely growing on me, the FG pattern performs ok on turf, the chassis seems very compact (more than the IIIs) and the upper fits great and is very soft.

The other alternative I've had were the Air Legend. Loved the fit of the Air Legend I. Upper was very nice, could feel and strike the ball perfectly, seams over the toebox fail quickly tho. I liked the deep conical studs in the front and blades in the heel, always good traction.
    Air Legend II was pretty similar to the previous model but the upper didn't fit as nicely as the other and it felt a bit more boxy. Definitely a step down.
    Tiempo (III) this is where Nike lost me and I stopped getting Tiempos. I bought a pair of Tiempo Elites. Right out of the box they felt like useless Chinese knockoffs. Assembled terribly, they felt even worse, the K-lite upper was the worst I've ever had. I bought them the same size I've always had in the older models and now it was incredibly tight and short. I sold them on the bay.

Bolivianfuego, JayMike-DK and jayc23 repped this.
  12. Jorma

Jorma Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Yetk1w-gY

Ronaldo hunts goals great shout!!

My winner is always the airport though : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YePFGhCC7ro

So……Nike released the original Mercurial (117214 FG) in Black/Pearl/Comet Red with a long tongue and long tab on the back. The tab was removed for the Hyper Blue/White/Black pair he wore whilst at Inter and then the Silver/Varsity Blue/Varsity Maize R9. These two colourways also features a smaller swoosh. Ronaldo wore the Hyper Blue/White/Black and the Silver/Varsity Blue/Varsity Maize with short tongues and his R9 logo. Both types with the tab and not carried the same product code

The Mercurial 2 then came out in Black/Pearl/Varisty Royal (117298 FG) with the above advert and as part of the Alpha project. First commercial use of the short tongue. They did make slight changes to the last using the 'Nike Fit', the toe box and heel counter, although the heel material stayed the same as 'leather' based. The soleplate seemed to be more flexible and one piece moulded, where as the originals i believe had the stud sections layered on the soleplate. Also it had a fixed printed label under the tongue instead of hanging tag if that makes sense.

The Mercurial R9 followed (117314 FG), strangely called the Mercurial R9 when really it should have been a Merc 2.1 R9 taking into account its product code and tech! It took all of the changes above and then changed the inner heel material to almost a soft touch coating, which actually over time peeled but was much better than the original ones. It also features a spotted soleplate which was different to any of the others in colourway style to all of the other original mercurial. I have these boots in the original black/red boxes and the silver box from 2.1 and match mercurial……….odd

Then the mercurial 2.1 was a reissue of the original Black/Pearl/Comet Red colourway but with a small swoosh and small tongue, it carried the same product code as the 2’s (117298). It continued with the leather inner heel and really should have just been called a mercurial 2 as the product code was the same as the 2's! Think nike just had some naming issues back in the day!!

Finally a 2.1 reissue was done of the original R9 Silver/Varsity Blue/Varsity Maize I believe through Eurosport but need that clarifying. It carried all of the updates above, updated soleplate and new heel material. So basically the same boot at the Black/White R9 but with an ‘original colourway style’ striped soleplate. Although amazingly it carried the (117298) product code!

Potted history of Merc pre Match Merc.

So in short you want to wear the best Merc go for the ‘2.1’ R9 Black/white, as they are the only ones you’ll find for a decent price. The 2.1 Silver/Varsity Royal/Varsity Maize are impossible to find and ridiculously expensive.
    If i was at home i'm check the manufacturing dates to make sure i'm nailed on with timing but its not far off

Attached Files:

13. Jorma

Jorma Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry for the double post wouldnt let me edit
    Merc 1 1997/98
    Merc 2 99
    Merc R9 2000
    Merc 2.1 reissues 2001 (some manufactured later than Match mercurials)

snowman3000, jayc23 and b0sk1 repped this.
  14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In the USA they re-released the 2.1 in the WC98 colorway right at the start of the 2002 WC. Eurosport had them and so did a local shop that is now out of business. The local shop had a 1/4 sized pitch with turf where you could test the boots. I recall the 2.1 WC 98 being the best feeling Merc I had ever tried on, but I just hated the colorway too much to buy it. I spent ages on eBay trying to track down the 2.1 in the original Merc 1 color way or the black/white with blue tick models.

I also spent some time looking for the R9 that was black with white and the tiny tick. My mate had a pair in 2002 that he found in a shop and I was green with envy (he was a size 8, I was an 11, so I couldn't swipe them, haha).

Also, the SpeedTract plate was great, as Jorma mentioned. Little known fact, but RvN had it added to his Vapor II when he started wearing them again at Euro 2004 after using the Vapor I and then the Tiempo Premier...he ended up back in the Premier before the Legend.

Funny side note RvN was wearing the mango Laser IV at a recent United Legends match. That makes me wonder what his foot shape is like. He opted for the widest boot Nike offers when presumably he didn't have access to MTM service. Then again he also never converted to the Legend IV and was known to wear his boots until they fell apart.

15. Jorma

Jorma Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Haha so funny you say that. I remember scoffing at the original blue/black mercurials thinking they were gross and years later I now love them! The plain black soleplate on them is so slick.
    I'd love to have some 2.1 r9 silver/blue in my size to wear but can't find any, only got some new in a bigger size.
    I wore the black/white r9 and 2.1 black/red to death. I picked up the later a few years after release in some discount shop for £30, I was ecstatic!
    Love the SpeedTract just wish they had continued the match mercurial for a bit longer, ronaldos injuries at the time didn't help not did the emergence of the vapor! The match's were so light but still comfortable and the tacky 'touch' material was just about at the right level

16. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Personally, I think the black and chrome Match was one of the best looking boots, ever. The other black colorways were good, and the silver R9 was solid. I wasn't really down with the copper/bronze, but it was a fair shout at something new. I recall Ronaldo training in the copper Match pretty close to WC 2002 and then switching into the Vapor kinda last minute.

This convo is taking me back to that WC, watching games at 4 AM and Ronaldo just killing it. He is the one player I truly miss and actually get a heavy heart thinking about. For all he did, there could have been so much more had the injuries not taken so much time and natural ability from him. Heartbreaking.

rooster, Clash10, jayc23 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Jorma

Jorma Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wish I could double or triple rep.
    Ronaldo is my hero end of, theres no one i would rather watch when he was in his prime and it was such a shame the amount of injuries he had. To snap 2 patella tendons is unheard of and how he managed to recover was unbelievable. I was almost shedding a tear watching Nikes #pra sempre fenomeno video. I used to have a sticker on my window, it was like a little speech about how quick he was and a mercurial talent. Wish i still had it. I do however still own a massive shop window front sign of him from about 98/99 ill have to try and get a pic someday soon.

I think he started wearing the Grey/Red Vapor at the start of the 02 WC, and when Nike saw he was back on form and Brazil were going great guns they cracked out the Chrome/Limes in the semi's.
    I still wear a pair of Black/Chrome's now and they are awesome so light but also structurally sound.

Dr. Boots repped this.
  18. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he trained a bit before in the cinder colorway as well as the Match. A few pairs of his cinders have ended up on eBay. They are legit with all his hallmarks, the added heel tab, his extended and sewn down tongue with R9, extra stitching on the pressed lines/grooves, and the Walkable insoles.

He did play in the silver/red until the semi-final when he rocked the chrome and when he scored that toe poke. Funny thing - according to what I have read - is the chrome/lime was originally intended for him based on meetings with Nike well before the release of the boot and it was to be worn originally during the whole World Cup. Then Nike decided pre-WC they would hold the boot until the semi-final and put it on whatever Nike player was the biggest player up to that point hoping it would be worn in the semi-final and final. Other possible options included Henry, Totti (which seems off given he was T90 player - maybe they had some chromed out T90 II's??), Ronaldinho, Figo (again T90?) and a few others. Nike was worried about R9's fitness and his ability to perform (fair point to them) and they wanted their biggest ever statement shoe on a player making an impact. Had no one been worthy of the boot, it would have never seen the light of day.

Now history shows they actually made the right decision because it was an unheard of type of colorway at the time, it debuted when the spotlight was bright, they were used to score the best goal of the event (taking in the scale of the match and brilliance of the decision making), and then the final happened and Ronaldo cemented his legacy and made the Vapor a legendary boot.

I remember everyone going bat-shit crazy over those boots when they were sparkling on tv, no one had ever seen anything like it. I have never seen a boot cause that type of hype, partly because they were never leaked or even know of pre event (outside of Nike anyway). People were starting to make up stories about the boot - saying they saw for sale online when it wasn't there, they were spray painted, and about a million other stupid things until Eurosport finally made them available. I still kick myself for not getting them when they dropped. I had the second chrome version, but they didn't have the same aura about them as the chrome/lime version.

I don't think a boot will ever cause a stir like that again. The stars aligned perfectly on every level for them. Funny to think that I was also just starting to post on BS at that time and still a few months away from being a Mod. This forum didn't even exist at the time, it was just boot threads in the "Player" section. I pushed to create this forum as the boot community grew and the "Player" section became mainly boot threads. I think that chrome/lime played a big part in the online growth of the boot community.

PS...I did cry a bit when he played his last match. Not sobbing or anything but tears streamed when he was saying his goodbyes. Same at WC 02 when he subbed off. Seeing that level of ability is a once in a lifetime thing, even if we have Messi and CR7 now, Ronaldo shaded them when he was in his prime. I have never seen a player with that mix of everything and I doubt I ever will again in my lifetime. He was terrifying to watch, in a good way. The looks on the faces of his opponents when he touched the ball was pure fear on a primal level, kind of like I would imagine someone looking like if they saw a tiger or great white just before it attacked them, coming in at full speed.

rooster, nedoz9, jayc23 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Jorma

Jorma Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah I've seen a pair of cinder R9's before but only a non descript picture. I've seen a grey/red sg proper studded pair in a guys collection and all of the things you speak of on the match worn r9's are spot on. I've got one boot here which was made as a sample pre World Cup of the chrome lime and its signed by him. I've attached a pic. It doesn't have the r9 logo on but like you said they didn't know who to use for it and Henry at other points did wear the 'stock' chrome/lime with TH on the tongue. I didn't know about Totti being a possibility but I did know about Figo and ronaldinho, was a great Brazilian team though!
    The ones that were made for Ronaldo though were a different chrome if that makes sense more of a mirror finish its amazing when you see them in the flesh! I have some stock pairs now but never had them back in the day I wouldn't have been able to afford them at Uni!!
    You're right tho everything fell into place perfectly and it seems at every World Cup he had a blinder and I've never been more happy than in 02 for him coming back from everything to show his true class!
    CR and Messi have a long way to go to match his achievements as mental as that might sound to some people. Ronaldo @ Barcelona as a young lad was just irrepressible.

Attached Files:

rooster and Mercurial4991 repped this.
  20. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    You guys need to stop. *sniff* I miss the big guy already.

To take things aside, I'm curious that the Legend Elites never made it to anyone's top 5 or Any honourable mentions. I thought it was a really great boot, leather was pretty nice (not Morelia nice though) but the fly wire really made it tight to your foot and feel abit like a speed boot. Just wondering, what are some criticisms of the atiempo 4 Elites for you?

21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Those REAL chrome ones, with te Ronaldo tape...wow!!! So shiney! I too remember looking at those boots...and thinking...maybe I should switch to Nikes? :p

Never happened though. I actually burnt out of soccer going into college...my dark years. :(

Ronaldo was my hero though; remember watching him beat Bolivia livei n the final of the Copa America 97' when he was at his BEST! He tore mexico a new a hole, and essentially any team he played then. They beat Peru I think 6-0? That's insane!

Beat them like they were Venezuela.

I picked up my little 'moves' growing up because of him. I'd look at any video clips I could download to copy what he did lol. Wish they had youtube back then....

vanjory repped this.
  22. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The only thing that made the legend IV elites not amazing was the fit, people where either half a size too small or half a size too big

23. noob-bob

noob-bob Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Club:
    IF Brommapojkarna
    Well I was very surprised that no one mentioned the Super Ligera!

24. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think on a personal level I never really liked the FlyWire concept on boots or running shoes. Great in theory, so-so at best in reality, for me anyway. I think the carbon fiber outsole was another good idea but it cracked too much. I don't know if that was a tuning issue, or a cheap carbon fiber issue, but for a $350.00 boot, it should have held up better and longer.

For me it wasn't a better boot than the standard Legend IV which finally featured the outsole material on a retail boot that pros had been getting for years, a very soft upper, a great fit and relative durability and value for the price - especially as the colorways went on sale fast with so many being released.

The IV was pretty close to my top 5 and had I spent more time in the boot and less with a blown out knee over the last 12 months, I am pretty sure it would have been a top 5 for me.

It was solid, but I just didn't use it enough to justify an opinion based ranking. I borrowed a friends for a few matches and it made an impression on me, but not enough to buy my own pair. In retrospect, I wish I had because it had a lot of things I love. Good leather, conical studs, versatile outsole, and built to last though an atomic bomb drop.

I recall the sizing being slightly odd though...they ran big if memory serves me correctly.

25. noob-bob

noob-bob Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Club:
    IF Brommapojkarna
    Me who remember them running small...