Nike Equipment Discussion Thread [8]

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Skizz, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I tried on the Black/Blue 4's today and I am very, very impressed. Nike finally made a Vapor that fits the profile of my foot through the mid foot to toe box very well. The Vapor 2's were close but lacked the stable base of a wider shoe and caused me to feel "off" when striking a ball.

The heel was a little tight and stiff but it should loosen up I think and over all the upper is very soft and not too rigid. I am usually a 10.5 in most Nikes like the Legend and the Laser but I am a 10 in these so consider a 1/2 size down if ordering. I am a touch unhappy Nike stuck with the same insole for these but gave the SL what looks like a cloth insole with air holes in them. I will find out soon for sure though because I am planing on getting some Vapor or Mercurial SL's in addition to the standard 4's.

I will say the foreskin on the laces has to go, it gets in the way of lacing the boot and I can't really see how it makes any more positive impact on the strike of the ball (call me crazy but I think lace covers are a major gimmick), other than that and the insole, this could be a great boot.

2. cjump

cjump Member

Jul 31, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so JC, how hard will the lace cover be to remove and can it be done cleanly?

3. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It should be pretty easy, it is super thin and added to the top of the upper, I think I will slice it down the center then trim around the inside of where it is stitched to keep it clean. I may also take a seam ripper to the edges of the lace cover where it is put on to make it even more smooth and flat.

4. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hahaha, I know, and that freekick he took last night was amazing. He really should of had his hatrick though. He did scuff a few chances. But i guess that shows he's only human after all!!

appleCORR

5. alarh

alarh New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    are you sure? :D.
    anyway, can somebody post here a picture, where's MVIV (black) in action. I'm choosing color and i don't know wich ones to choose :S

6. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Do it yourself. Go to getty images and search for pictures of Andrew Johnson.

7. alarh

alarh New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Thanks, i didn't know any player who's wearing black vaps.

PDS is selling (pre order) new Nike Jogo indoor boots. I've never heard them before..

8. Its Swanny

Its Swanny New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Midwest, USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the new Nike ball.
    [​IMG]

9. ricky2104

ricky2104 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    dallas
    cool pics it looks like thats the 1st players ive seen wearing the blue version of the IV's:)

10. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I picked up the Vapor 4 today in Black/Blue and also the First Touch's in turf and flat bottoms, the turf is the grey with navy and neon yellow tick (I like the white but my indoor kit is navy and these look good with it) and the flats in the bright blue with the yellow tick.

I will throw up some pictures later after I sort out the mess that is my apt.

11. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Still love the colourway of those lasers with the yellow vamps! I wasn't too sure about them at first but i think they look fantastic!!

appleCORR

12. alarh

alarh New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    New vapor owners, does MVIV blister you're heel? :D

13. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ..... PROBABLY! :rolleyes:

I think we are still waiting for a few reviews on the new boots!

appleCORR

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have yet to play in them but the heel cup and the external cradle on it are very stiff and tight, it locks you heel in place but will take some getting use too, which means blisters for some people I am sure. I have a "blister stick" that creates a slick non rubbing surface on the skin that I am planing on using when breaking in these boots.

15. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    ...and this stick is available where?!?!

16. quixoticelixir42

quixoticelixir42 New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I assume vaseline, or the like, would do the trick

17. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah just something that will act as a barrier should work fine!

appleCORR

18. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I bought it at CVS or Rite Aid, any local drug store should have it. I just can't remember if it was in the section with the Band-Aids (it is Band-Aid brand) or the foot care section. It does pretty much the same thing as vaseline but isn't as messy or goopy.

19. actusreus13

actusreus13 New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Any good running store should carry it as well. I've also seen it at big shoe stores. It works similar to Vaseline but it's designed to stay on much longer than Vaseline.

20. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  21. Barca106

Barca106 Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Connecticut, US
    is it just me or does the toe box on the torres lasers look a differant material? they look softer because of the creases that i did not notice on the stock version.

22. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Tried on some Vapor4s today, seem very much spot-on from my brief wearing!
    Im very excited for the mercSLs, may have to cop some Vaps b4 then!

23. teamryan

teamryan New Member

May 22, 2007
    it doesnt even say wat size torres boots are.

24. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    most likely are custom so as such aren't a size....

25. Woodworm

Woodworm Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Bristol, England
    Club:
    Bristol City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cant find any Vapor 4s in any stores around the Bristol, England area. they are all carrying the cheaper versions. really want to try them on before ordering on line, as the 3s never fitted my feet correctly, so want to check first.

Also how well does the FG soleplate do in muddy conditons??, as have seen a few people in FG 3s playing in the muddy condions and dont slip really.