Nico's Southern Fried House of Ribs, Tips and Advice

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Jul 15, 2003.

1. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, this isn't my forum, but I certainly don't see anything wrong you being proud of your heritage! Sure, a true Southerner will never find the walls of ice that build up around the sidewalks of Chicago & other Yankee cities romantic, nor will they find joy in taxi drivers asking "Where youse goin'?". And in your lil ole Yankee heart, you may wonder what type of person needs sweet tea in January.

But that's all part of what makes this country great: The inability to understand the regionalism. Enjoy!

2. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Hey Nico,

Why do fat goalkeepers all wear pants?

3. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear that. It happens all too often, unfortunately. It happens when the snow is wet and heavy. It's more of a strain than it seems at first to move that stuff.

I'm just glad I'm in a condo now and that I have all of 10 feet to shovel when DC does get snow. :D

4. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the youngest of three guys, so I know all about this. :D

And snowball fights. Can't leave that out.

We would do nothing of the sort. :D

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because if they scratch up their knees and get cut all the fat will ooze out.

6. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As one who 'personed' the massage station, I can attest to this as plain FACT! :)
    Now, honey! I'm shocked! That is a DELIBERATE slur against the yanks............

...........besides, that's only cuz you live in Pittsburgh. That there'd be Western-to-mid-PA speak (I know, my mom's from Lebanon, PA). Here in MN, our cabbies say "HEY! How'z it going dere? Cold-nuff for ya? Where-ya headed ta-night?" Simple, regional dialect! :)
    In any case, snow is the prime reason that if "the South's gonna do it agin," then the South's gonna get its butt kicked...agin. Good ol' General Winter!

nico, after mass yesterday, I bought that Mogwai CD, simply because you cited it. I am so nuts-busy at work, I haven't even listened to it yet! Will it be worth my while?

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on whether you like it or not. How's that for a non-decisive answer. I think you will, because your good tastes seem to not be trapped in one genre. It is kind of ambient instrumental stuff. Pretty cool for a bunch of guys from Glasgow!

8. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Nico,
    Where can a fella get some good Thai food without going to Thailand? My first choice was to check out http://www.mailorderthaibride.com but I'll hold off awaiting your suggestion.

9. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Nico,

How is it that some people haven't seen American Pie or the Part 2 and remain not interested even after their friends who major in Cinema tell them that both are good movies?

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will answer this question two different ways:

1: The serious answer

Believe it or not, we've got mad Thai food in Alabama. Not all of the Thai restaurants here are great, but the ones I like are some of the best I've ever been to, and I've heard people from other states and with large amounts of Thai experience backing me up on this. Topo (a BigSoccer person) traveling here on business, ate at the Montgomery Union Station location and totally dug it.

[​IMG]

Taste of Thailand is where it's at.

[​IMG]

plus, you've got to love any restaurant with this as a warning:

Our spicy menu comes in Mild, Medium and Hot. Thai Mild basically has no spice. Thai Medium is equal to Mexican Hot. And, Thai Hot is Super Super Hot! Please keep this in mind when ordering and always remember when in doubt, you can always add more spice but you cannot take it out.

2: The "unserious" answer
    If I were going to mail order a bride, she'd probably be Thai, or Estonian, because those are some superfly chicas that are itching to get to the USA. So, if because of your bad blind date, you're going to mail order a bride, Thai would be the way to go.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because they talked to someone like me, who, while not in posession of a cinema degree, has impeccable taste. I for one thought American Pie to be one of the most overrated movies of all time. Little more than a teen movie. Eugene Levy's performance is the only thing that could possibly make it fall under "cinema" and not "just a movie." The rest of the time it was just fake boobs and dessert fondling.

12. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to know what you're in for when you go to see movies, though. American Pie, I knew would be nothing more than a teen movie. In that subgenre, I thought it was done well.

Now, if you want to talk about overrated films, we can discuss The Matrix...

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew what I was in for, but still it just didn't do it for me. Everybody had just gone on and on about how funny it was and it had its moments, but it just didn't make me want to run out and buy it.

14. IrishLass22

IrishLass22 New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    LAL & FRO
    Does anyone else ever have the feeling that a seemingly general and anonymous question is really about them, or am I just paranoid? ;)

15. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Hey nico,
    What's that noise coming from my thorax? My liver calling for help or another beer?

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say you have ascertained this situation correctly.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More that likely it's your stomach giving your precursors of the impending vomitus erruption caused by the chick with the jacked up grill.

18. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    what happens when your wife gets pissed at how much soccer you watch? you can't give up soccer and ya surely can't give up your wife. it's a quandry.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a quandry indeed. I find myself in a similar dilemma at present. Mrs. Nico is whining a good deal about my voracious soccer appetite at present. I've actually conceded not watching the MLS All-Star game live. Saturday is the first time we've had an off day together in a while so I relented. What I haven't told her is about tonight's ManUtd-Juventus game. Not looking forward to mentioning that.

She asked me this morning about soccer in general and how long it is going to last and much to her disappoinment I said "pretty much forever." I said there'll always be either MLS or Premiership going at the same time and if not then there'll be Gold Cup or World Cup or Champions League or Copa America or European Championship, etc. Much to her relief though she found out that after the Champions Tour of the USA, that besides MLS and Premiership starting soon that the USA wouldn't have many games for a while. Somehow, and I mean, somehow, that made her a little bit happy. I don't think that'll work with your wife though. You can at least tell her I won't be there on Saturday!

20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

You read my mind! I was thinking of taping the game on Sat and watching it later. I also had the how much soccer is left conversation last night. I told her that this summer was out of the ordinary w/Confed Cup,Gold Cup and ChampionsWorld tour. Of course, you can probably get ABC over the air if you wanted to watch the MLS A-S game on Sat. It'll slow down too when my Saturdays are being taken up by coaching and I'm getting up at 6am to watch EPL. I know nobody's coming over then.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on whose playing, but that won't matter either because your wife is a late sleeper.

Also, anybody going to contact me about coaching?

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

yes she is.

I don't know. I gave him names and he is handling it from there.

23. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    For goodness sakes just say it. I WAS TALKING ABOUT ANNE!

But you should come see it with me Anne. Come. Come. We'll make Friday a double header. American Wedding. And Pirates of the Carribean. WOOHOO! Come on. You know you want it. You know, if you started a thread in my forum I wouldn't have to invade Nico's to tell you to come see it with me.

24. IrishLass22

IrishLass22 New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    LAL & FRO
    Honey, if you're still in the state, then I'd gladly give up my hesitations about said movies, and go. And I wouldn't agree to fill in for someone at work that night.

But you'd have to still live here. There lies the rub. :(

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would heartily endorse going to see Pirates. I haven't seen it, but it looks quite good.