Nico's Southern Fried House of Ribs, Tips and Advice

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better Hong Kong Action Star: Jackie Chan or Chow Yun-Fat?

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's a tough one. You just have to be Ross, that's all I can say. I spent countless hours/days/months/years pining away over certain women in my past all for nought. Of course, I was tortured at the time, and not very keen to listen to reasonable individuals, but they were right. Just be you. If she falls for you, awesome, if not, that just means something better, a more perfect fit is further down the road.

I chased this one girl for probably 3-4 years and did nothing but torture myself. It really sucked. There were others too, but this one girl just drove me up a wall. Eventually, it didn't work out, and I'm not saying that's what'll happen in your case.

The cool part though, is that eventually I met Mrs. Nico. A woman whose beauty and kindness shines with the brilliance of a 1,000 suns and is infinitely more than what I perceived that other girl to be. My wife married me, and I'm still trying to figure out why as she is much better looking and cooler than me.

Basically, Ross, you're a cool guy (and your provided ample evidence of that in Columbus) and that's what's going to have to do the trick. Because if you try to be something or someone your not, and that's who she falls for, then your just inviting trouble for both of you.

That being said, I hope things work out.

If you've read this far, there's one other thing I have to say, women can be just as scared, nervous, and shy as men can and not read signals, etc. You might need to talk to her about it at some point, or just let it evolve naturally and see what happens.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that all depends. If you want slapstick and "cartoon" violence, you go with Jackie. If you want guntoting mega-violence, Chow Yun Fat is your man. Chow Yun Fat definately has greater range (Crouching Tiger...Contract Killers, etc.) and Jackie to some extent is a one trick pony. It all depends on what you're looking for.

4. Daizygrl

Daizygrl New Member

Oct 30, 2001
    Columbus, Ohio
    Why am I getting spam delivered to my work email?

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are several possibilities to why this could be happening:

1) Your system adminstrator is a dummy
    2) Anytime you send an email to someone and they forward that, somebody could be snagging it that way.
    3) I sold your email address to spammer.

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Shaolin Soccer-- yes or no?

7. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that the whole biscuits & gravy thing started when people would use their biscuit to mop up the pot likker, and eventually cut out the middle man.

Why do restaurants ask you to make silly choices like biscuits or cornbread? Don't they realize that it's just too big of an option?

8. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

the correct Southern terminology is sop up the gravy.

this might help.........

http://www.vaiden.net/convert.html

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is also the brilliance of Italian Bread.
    Why am I the only NYer who seems to post in B@W?
    And why is there no NY based thread?

(i.e carolinab, B@W, etc...)

10. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do yankees prefer their cornbread and (God forbid!) their grits sweetened, but they never offer you a choice between sweet & unsweet when it comes to iced tea?

As for the BBQ, I think I'm going to post a BBQ poll in my personal forum. Maybe. I've never posted a poll before. We'll see if I can handle it.

11. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why is Watson Brown such a tool?

12. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Nico,
    Should you, me, and Clint Mathis form a triumvirate and rule the world?

13. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D 'stick never ceases to amaze! Dang: you, Clint and nico? That's one-third of an actual triumvirate (hint: the other two-thirds are you and Clint). ;)

Nico, via some PM's crossing in the mail, so to speak, am I to believe that pvan4 is your bro? If so, that is cool! I can recall reading some very entertaining posts of his, many moons ago. That's just downright Darwinian!

Nico, Lunch with Musician today. She wore a black skirt, with a light blue, spaghetti-strap tank top. My very soul still aches. She was looking so stunning, I think I may have done irreparable damage to my brain...akin to a lobotomy. Do you think this will reverse itself, over time? Or am I condemned to a life as a blithering idiot? (Well, MORE of a blithering idiot than I've already been, anyway.)

I await your sage reply.

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just impressed you know who Watson Brown is. His toolness perplexes us all and it cannot be explained. All we can say is: "Watson Brown...at least he's not Mike Price!"

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Undoubtedly, similar plans were already in the works. However, I put in a call to Clint and he said that if I vouch for you, then you must be down. This will prove to all the world the greatness that is Southerness.

"What did he just say?" you ask yourself.

That's right, southerness. As it is widely know that I'm an Alabamian and Clint a Georgian (as in Atlanta, not Tblisi), how does 'stick an Arizonan fit into this? Simple, look at map of the USA. Now go to the top of Virginia and cut a straight line across to the west. Is Arizona under that line? Heck yeah it is. He didn't even know it, but 'stick is a southerner too, at least in the broadest, truest geographic sense.

So, look out people, because the Alabama-Arizona-Georgia connection is coming at you, and you better be ready.

16. IrishLass22

IrishLass22 New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    LAL & FRO
    Nico -
    If southerners are soon to rule the world, am I at liberty to hope that a recipe of fried chicken is soon to be concocted that does not threaten to expand the waistline?
    This would be my greatest joy.

17. ross from st paul

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:
    Hoo-boy, you candy-boys have clearly never crossed paths with a Minnesotan. Well, that's a mistake that many people make...

...ONCE! ;)

btw: by all dint of logic, it should be spelled with two "n's," and maybe even a hyphen: "Southern-ness." Eventually, I start to charge for my tutoring services, so let's hop off the short-bus, folks!

18. IrishLass22

IrishLass22 New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    LAL & FRO
    Does it happen to anyone else that, after you learn of a "common" expression for the first time, it is suddenly all over the place?

I heard this "short bus" expression for the first time in 19 years only about a week ago, and here it is again, marking the umpteenth mention of it that I have noticed.

Whoa!

19. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Nico, which is the better person?

A Southerner raised in the North? Or a Northerner raised in the South?

20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Lemme take this one for him. Raised in the south is the key. If he says differently, I'll be very surprised.

21. ross from st paul

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one fine book (observing that it refers not to the US south, but to South America (Chile, in particular)):
    [​IMG]
    Where the heck has nico been? :D

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

when Nico has no work, he has no computer.

23. ross from st paul

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is beneficial to my "quality-of-life" ...

...HOW? :p

Nico, hang in, my man. I'm definitely pulling for ya.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, we southerners love contraction and combining words: y'all, canihepya, howyadoin, etc. Don't lecture me on how to spell a word. I'm just streamlining the language and cutting out some extra, unneeded letters.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggity bam. Keep that up, and this'll be pvan4's southern fried house of ribs, tips and advice.