Nicol coaching all-star question

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Rev-eler, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    Having hard time finding the actual rules on who gets to coach the mls side in the all-star game.

1. is it based on a coach's straight pts or pts/game?
    2. does it end after the july 4 games? (fan balloting ends on the 8th, btw) or, does it end after the july 9 games? if it ends after the 4th...dal will have 1 more game played than the revs.....the 9th?....dallas is off so, it would be all square.

fwiw...right now, nicol is slightly ahead 2.154 to 2.143 in pts/game and behind 30 to 28 straight up.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    link

3. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Would points per game not be a more valid assesment? Not that it will make a difference this time, but would it not be extremely unfair if a team like Chicago had the one or two more points then the Revs because they had played two more games? Oh well, it is just the all-star game, but I think Nicol deserves the recognition.

4. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    yeah, the link sorta clears it up...and sorta not. 'best record' and 'total points' are not the same. in the end, i think if both teams with their next games and it remains dallas having more pts but less per game....i say they find a way to make nicol the coach under the pts/game scenario.

with fulham coming in.....it definitely makes for a better 'story' and i think nicol has earned his stripes with the league to date.

5. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when has that been an MLS priority? I mean this is a league where the team with the co-worst record in the league last year came within a penalty shootout of the final.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarke and Nicol are frontrunners, ESPN Soccernet.com.

Not once in this article does it make mention that this race will be decided by the fact that the coach will be decided by the coach who's played the most matches.

BTW, I wonder what the reaction would have been (from those few that care) had Chicago picked up 2 more points earlier this year, and their coaching staff had a chance to be the ones coaching the MLS All-Stars ... having played three more games than their competition.

What a joke. :mad:

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sad that Chicago can tie us with points today and we'd have FOUR games in hand. What is up with the schedule? Do they get a month off?

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if the Revs win Monday, Nicol will be coaching the All-Star game.

Boy that would be fun.

9. keeppah

keeppah Member

Feb 10, 2000
    Taunton, MA
    Let's hope it motivates the troops a little.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually amazed at how the media is handling this whole thing.

Yesterday on MLS Wrap (not that Bretos isn't an idiot or anything) they showed the standings at the end and were saying how even though the Revs have played great, Chicago is now in first place.

Again ... never mentioned that they have played four more games. :confused:

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post

12. sne1

sne1 New Member

Jan 23, 2004
  13. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    While I personally agree with the sentiment of the article I wonder if it would have occurred to the author to write it if NE and FCD were in reverse roles.

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Of course, what the author doesn't say is that points per game doesn't take into consideration the fact that FCD has played 2/3 of its games on the road.

Nicol or Clarke--either one would be worthy at this point.

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE played one more game at home.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can go back and forth with this ... as FCD has played five games against the two expansion teams (15 out of a possible 15 points), while we've gained the only three we could have against those two teams.

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  18. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i'd love to have seen what would've happened had the fire turned a loss into a win.....being up on pts after 18 %&$! games played!

19. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    To be honest, I really don't think SN would care all that much, but wasn't the decision made on a points per game basis, not total points? I read that somewhere, but I don't feel like looking it up now. (mlsnet.com maybe)

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was Little Frank D in one of his stories last week. He made a statement that I read to mean just that.

Maybe we all can breath out and say, all together, in one loud voice:

WHO CARES ;)