Nickname for Toronto MLS Team.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by petersoccer, Dec 4, 2004.

1. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    The re-birth of the Blizzards?

2. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    "The Toronto Blue Devils of North York"

3. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Might of worked, but North York no longer exists.

4. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    Toronto Athletic, Toronto Dinamo, Ontario United, all of these seem viable options in my book. also, ReAL Salt Lake is by far the worst name I've ever heard. i would've preferred Salt Lake Mountaineers or just Salt Lake City

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LMAO!

6. BUSANBHOY

BUSANBHOY New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Busan
    The 'city' idea was the best thus put up, personally, if they ever come to pass, I'd call them the 'St. Pat's', I would dress them in green and white hoops, and I would offer up our services to develop young Canadian lads that may one day move on to Ghod's team.

By the way(to someone earlier) the american quota would not apply, or would be significantly altered - it would indeed develop Canadian players - this has already been addressed by the powers that be.

also - to numerous previous posters - whilst the need for as high a level of football as we can get in the Tee Dot, would mean that even I would travel up to that wasteland for a match. but these people who think that parking lots make a stadium or an atmosphere are wacked. When your children are put at risk by drunkin "tailgaters" then you should speak. We are not our southern neighbours (much as so many of us try to be) we don't need to adopt their rituals. For this blessed game many many tried and true riituals already exist. The pub with the lads...the bus/subway/streetcar ride to the ground amungst the support...etc. I don't know where 'brats and buds out the back of the SUV fit in. My basic point (dijointed as it may be (hey it's six in the morn after a cup tie)) is that we'll have to take it any way we can get it, but the people calling for a downtown park are bang on! perhaps I was wrong in the opening, perhaps the team should be called the " we're too good to actually live in the city, petrol fumes and endless sprawl rock, big box store-ers FC" Just a thought. Cheers all

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

You are clearly a parody of yourself.

8. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's been done and boy what a disaster. BTW, Francois Glassman would probably attempt to sue (for what it's worth).

9. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I thought that "Nobody Gives a ********" was your nickname Doyle!

db

10. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    I think Don Garber gives an F. As he stated today Toronto is front runner for team.

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    pass by Regent park or the intersection of Jane and Finch and say that. we're not all lumberjacks over here.

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    sure it does it kinda like what queens or brooklyn is in New York. The name Downsview still exsists in my heart I always liked the sound of it.

13. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    For a team name I'd have to say Toronto International or Inter Toronto.

That would be cool.

14. This suggestion shouldn't be a suprise:-

[​IMG]

15. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    I like that. Brings back many memories.

16. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    I'm gonna stump for more traditional and simple names:
    Athletic Club ( AC Toronto)
    Sporting Club ( SC Toronto, or just Sporting)

We have AC Milan, Athletic Bilbao, Sporting Lisbon, Sporting Braga and Sporting Cristal already, so these are proven, titles that are recognized as football names.

17. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Your on the right track. Lets get back into the proven footie names and awy from the NFL-type names.

Clearly you're Gooner , from the intelligence of the suggestion. :cool:

18. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    Since MLSE is looking like it will be the owner, maybe they will call it Maple Leafs FC.

Hell, why not Bay Street United. ;)

19. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree. Many, many memories.

db

20. Lifted these from a Luis Racanagua post from the Voyageurs forum. The sad thing is if the NASL had been stronger south of the border they Blizzard would probably still be around.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Joe MacCarthy

Joe MacCarthy New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Now, who can name all those guys by number? No cheating by looking at the caption if you have the photo.

22. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can name only 16 of them with any certainty (including the coaching staff and the physio).

db

23. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I'd love to think that this would be true but we have to remember that York Hanover, Karsten Von Wersebe's company that bankrolled the club, was hit extremely hard by the real estate crash of the late 80's.

While the team "might" have survived if the NASL had lived, it might have gone through various permutations.

The truth is that the teams north of the border also let the league down. Vancouver had no business going into the tank that they did and Molson's destroyed the Manic with their Team Canada concept. If the big three Canadian teams had all survived, the league may not have folded when it did.

db

24. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    i say we take a euro style name since if the team is going to sell well it will need support from torontos euro and south american communities i say we call the team FC toronto or something with some italian flavour since there are over 1 million italians in the area.

25. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yeah I'm sure the Portuguese, Spanish, Croation etc. would really love that :rolleyes: