Nickname for Toronto MLS Team.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by petersoccer, Dec 4, 2004.

1. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    "Toronto Clockwork Orange"

Okay, I decided. Home kit just all brilliant orange with white lettering.

Hmmm, for an away kit: all white...and for an alternative kit, green hoops a la Celtic....

[​IMG]

2. sslazio_1900

sslazio_1900 Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Toronto
    if you want history, then the name should really be FC Toronto City
    check the link:
    http://www.canoe.ca/2000GamesColumnists/gross_aug27.html

3. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they putting drugs in the water in Ontario? A done deal?

My guess is that the team's name would be Rochester Rhinos. That's about as close as Toronto may get to the MLS.

4. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Great stuff, sslazio_1900.

By the way, you old enough to remember Toronto City FC's colours? ( I'd bet the colour was red, given the Brit content and the names of the other teams in the league)

With your name, if you were around, I assume you would be cheering against them for the Toronto Italia.

5. sslazio_1900

sslazio_1900 Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Toronto
    haha, Im not that old LOL!! :)
    but I do remember watching a documentary on the History of Canadian Soccer (it was on CFMT one evening, interesting stuff!!)
    anyways...they did show some old footage.
    I vaguely remember....but I think it was blue tops, red shorts and socks
    but hey good guess you were half right!!

6. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    A Brain Surgeon I see. MLS is going to put a team in Rochester before Toronto. There are over 7 Million people within 60 Miles of Toronto. Rochester has how many People within an Hour 500,000 maybee.

7. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Both cities would be good for the MLS and there would be a rivalry,that would be great for the fans going to the away matches.

8. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto wouldn't be good for the MLS. It would have to follow the rules of American players on the roster. And it wouldn't help develop the game stateside, which is the purpose of the league.

9. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    The Argos (cant stand the CFL myself) are soon to be rid of that problem, while the Jays (can't stand them either) own it now so i hope they lose
    a bundle on it.Vancouver will make a great MLS city and hopefully will keep the Whitecaps name,but Toronto must come first,bigger market,all the major tv is in Toronto.

10. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

As far as I saw Vancouver was the best venue for the WCQ's. In Kingston they had frigging trees in front of some seats and a crappy pitch (and thousands of empty seats. In Edmonton they had 9,000 people and 52,000 empty seats (and I hear they were giving away thousands of tickets to that match) and the pitch was a muddy quagmire near the centre field lines. Vancouver had the best pitch and most intimate atmosphere. If playing at Swangard made our program look third world thats because it is third world. Stop whining, at least we had a stadium capable of hosting a WCQ, Toronto certainly didn't.

Yes, Vancouver and the lower mainland is a lacrosse hotbed. Proper indoor lacrosse played on concrete floors in a professional type atmosphere. Nobody wants to see it played on astroturf with god awful music playing at an ear splitting level. Only loser wanker Torontonians find that impressive.

Stop whining about Vancouver type support. It's better than Toronto support, and good luck hoping for an MLS team before you start supporting local soccer because it's never going to happen.

11. adega1980

adega1980 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    east vancouver
    you are truly sheltered in your own little world out there in trana.the western lacrosse association is considered by the players of lacrosse in north america to be the premier lacrosse league in the world,the new westminster salmonbellies are the yankees,canadians,green bay packers,lakers of the lacrosse world.there is no support for soccer in trana.it was a couple of years ago that 1860 munich came to trana to play the lynx only 700 people showed up,pathetic.

12. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    The Lynx play is just as big a stink hole as Vancouver. The Lynx future
    is dying MLS is coming once that new stadium is built and the new owners
    will make an effort to build a quality,contending team something the LYNX
    has failed to do. Vacouver has great lacrosse player just no fans to fill the Ravens seats,pathetice really it might be there only winter sport at GM Place this season.

13. Saviola7

Saviola7 New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Leiden, NL
    I'll agree with some of the stuff you've said, but citing the Kingston WCQ matches is a little unfair. They were very poorly advertised, and during the first match (I can't remember the second match) it was pouring rain.

14. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004

Poorly advertised? Real Canadian fans new when and where the world cup games where being played. All we need is a site for the fans? The CSA should work on that.

15. jonesy55

jonesy55 New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Peterborough,Ont.
    adega1980,

I think you are forgetting about the Peterborough Lakers!!!

[​IMG]

2004 Mann Cup Champs
    [​IMG]

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No, actually your play on the field made your program look third world.

17. supernewf

supernewf New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Shooting Stars sounds to much like a figure skating squad we need something a little more soccer oriented ie: Strikers or Athletics. Even though these aren't the strongest names it sure beats shooting pansies, I mean "stars"

18. supernewf

supernewf New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Is that Brandon Sanderson in the bottom left corner of that Mann cup pic?
    I played lacrosse with the entire Sanderson family throughout my whole career when u hear the name Sanderson you definitley think LACROSSE!!
    The fastest game on 2 feet and definitley one of the best.
    Go NORTHMEN Go Go BEARS Lacrosse Ontario field champs 90-95
    Thanks for the years Jimmy

19. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Well to be honest I think all of the Canadian home dates were poorly advertised. The only advertising I saw for the second match at Swangard was a full page ad on the back of the World Football News, a local soccer paper with very poor circulation, on the edge of going bankrupt all the time. It's nice that the CSA was giving ad space to a local soccer newspaper that come out once a month but if hardly anyone reads the paper it's money wasted. We had fans coming up to us as we were tailgating outside the stadium with incredulous looks on their faces asking "is the WCQ game being played HERE tonight? They had no idea. As for the rain in Kingston, well it didn't look that bad, then again I stand at Whitecaps games in the rain all the time so maybe I'm just used to it.

Now as for CdnBhoy 67'd comment about real fans knowing that games are being played without advertising, that might be true. However we don't have enough of those across Canada. Advertising needs to be done to promote the games. The first WCQ in Vancouver sold out because there was lots of mention of it on the local sports news. By the time the second game rolled around and Canada was virtually out the news programs ignored the game. Before anyone brings up "Toronto would have sold out" I might point out that they should remember the last WCQ's where Toronto got under 7,000 at Varsity against Mexico!

While i'm responding to his comments, who cares if lacrosse is the only winter sport being played at GM place this winter? Our junior team draws 8,000 a game at the Pacific Coliseum and there's a multitude of other junior hockey teams in the lower mainland region, and unlike in Toronto Vancouverites do not need to sit and watch winter sports. The Vancouver Metro Soccer League runs during the winter as does the youth soccer program so we keep busy otherwise.

20. supernewf

supernewf New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Shooting Stars sounds to much like a figure skating squad we need something a little more soccer oriented ie: Strikers or Athletics. Even though these aren't the strongest names it sure beats shooting pansies, I mean "stars"

21. UVanMathias

UVanMathias New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Livonia, NY
    1.2 million actuall and the cities of Buffalo and Syracuse. Oh yeah by the way what's the average attendance at Lynx game. Compare that to Rochester jackass. :D

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

The goal of the league right now is to be profitable. I feel like money is the only motivating factor here. You could also make a case that a rivalry with a Canadian team would be good for the game in America. More interest, etc. I lived in DC when Baltimore and Toronto battled it out for AL East Supremacy. The US vs. Canada angle certainly generated more interest.

By the way, it's a done deal. Money. Money. Money. Who's got more Rochester or Toronto? OKC or Toronto? That's why we have a second team in LA when there are plenty of other good cities. Money Money Money. Vargera shelled out the bucks.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    People throughout the country underestimate the population and soccer community in Western and Upstate NY. I live in Syracuse and we had a very popular A-league team here. Rochester was 1st in attendance and Syracuse was 3rd. More than Seattle, Portland, Toronto, and all of these other MLS expansion candidates.

It will be interesting to see how many fans travel from Syracuse and Buffalo to games in Rochester. Syracuse's team folded this offseason. Will they now become Rhinos fans? Who knows? They certainly won't become Metros fans. That's a different group of people altogether.

24. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Nothing is a done deal, although they alongside Rochester and Seattle seem to be frontrunners.

I think that name should be Toronto Athletic, yeah its a traditional name, and they might be able to score a partnership (training with the teams, maybe loaning players, etc) with any of the teams in the world with Athletic in their name.

Another reason is that York Stadium, being built for use by the Toronto Arognauts will be shared with the proposed MLS expansion team.
    So A being the first letter in each team would kind of make some sense (although it can also be seen as cheesy).

P.S. 400 posts, respect.

25. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    After reading a thread on voyageurs entitled "MLS in Canada: Champagne on A Beer Budget", I have another suggestion for a club name:

"The Toronto Trailer Park Boys"