Nicholas "Niko" Gioacchini at SM Caen

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, May 17, 2018.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sic moments in that highlight video. Thanks for posting. He is a really talented young forward. Too bad the season was canceled. He is one to keep an eye on next season.

LouisZ repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what you hear, Berhalter has his eye on him and was ready to call him in for the March friendlies until COVID killed that chance. I know I’ve got my eye on Nico. He looks like he has the makings of a good player if he keeps progressing.

4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He looks like a Berhalter forward. Can receive and distribute or turn, can run at the goal, can receive in the corners and run at players. Reminds me a tiny bit of Jonathan Lewis. How well he will ultimately do those things will determine how high he climbs.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and edcrocker repped this.
  9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Global headquarters picked up his nice lobbed through ball assist.

USSoccerNova, ChicagoVT, TxEx and 10 others repped this.
  10. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Huh. Did not see that coming.

12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    well that’s a curveball

13. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    That's a bummer, but it makes sense. It's easier to get into the Jamaican team, but they also should be pretty good by CONCACAF standards and in the running for at least 4th place in the Ocho.

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    also have to consider the source and lack of quotes

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I am not ready to buy into that decision just yet. But if it is true then he is dead to me.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, later in the day he was leaving open the idea of Reece James and Ainsley Maitland-Niles playing for Jamaica. Wishful rumor mongering.

17. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With the insane RB depth England has that might be a possibility in the future.

Athlone repped this.
  18. CZM4

CZM4 Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Not buying this at all. Here are some quotes from an ASN interview a few months ago:

“I didn't even know it was him,” Gioacchini said of his call from Berhalter. “When I did realize it was him, I was like: whoa. It was quite an honor to see his number on my phone…I was not expecting that. I've been wanting to be with the national team for a long time. It is any kid's dream. As soon as I heard about it, I was so happy that it looked like I was in shock. It's been my dream since I was young and it's what I want to do. Representing your country is every kid's goal but not everyone can reach that. It's only a few selected players. I felt really honored and happy.”

“I watch all of their friendlies and the World Cups that they've played in,” Gioacchini said of the U.S. team. “I watched Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey - those were always my idols, Jozy Altidore too. I really appreciate all those players playing for their country. I want to play for it too.”

http://americansoccernow.com/articl...inue-breakout-with-sm-caen-once-play-restarts

19. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    I don’t know... To me that read like he prefers Jamaica....

superdave and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I respect the upfront approach

21. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    #97 Athlone, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    There is an agent on the ground in the UK contacting Jamaica-eligible players in the UK and Europe. Preston's information comes from the source, who is in direct contact with those player. Having known him personally, I can tell you that he is not a rumour monger. He is directly plugged in with both the Jamaican FA and the agents on the ground, as well as multiple current Jamaica players (he and guys like Adrian Mariappa are legitimately friends). If he's reporting it, it has some legs.

He has also openly acknowledged (as recently as tonight) that Reece James is highly unlikely to commit to Jamaica. He has merely been contacted, and so that was reported. Preston was not misrepresenting anything there, he's made it very clear which of the contacts are plausible future Jamaica internationals and which are more wishful hail marys (it doesn't hurt to inquire).

Guys like Mason Greenwood, Reece Oxford and Curtis Jones have already shot us down after being contacted this summer - this has been reported by Preston. He's not attempted to mislead on any of that.

As for AMN, he's a rotational player for your club and rather distant from an England call. As has been noted above, England has substantial depth at his preferred positions. I don't see how it is completely wishful thinking to report the possibility of his representing Jamaica. I won't bet money on seeing him in a Jamaica kit any time soon, but he's a player in precisely the kind of position that would warrant at least considering that switch. The chances of it happening are below 50% imo, but still quite significant (Reece James would be a much longer shot right now imo).

I'll just note that this report is 4 months old. Preston's report is based on much more recent contact. I don't doubt that Niko would want to play for the nation of his birth.

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if he sees his opposition being Reayna and Ladesma and thinks he has a better chance with Jamaica.

If he is confident enough he will go with us.

23. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Thing is, Jamaica has a few legitimate options upfront. He wouldn't play ahead of Shamar Nicholson (the undisputed current #1) or Dever Orgill right now, and I think Bobby Reid and Cory Burke could also conceivably be ahead at centre-forward (although Reid would usually feature as a second striker/attacking mid so he's not necessarily in the way).

Those guys are all significantly older except Nicholson (23) though, and we lack another player his age competing at a similar professional level so he would definitely slot quite nicely in the player pool.

The USMNT obviously has a deeper player pool but he will need confidence whichever choice he makes - no free lunch here.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker and Winoman repped this.