Nhleko contract status

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by gotyourback, Sep 22, 2003.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Thanks for the info.....I'm sorry I don't know where I got Sweden from. I guess I didn't realize the Burn were trying to buy him outright, not continue the loan deal. So would he come on a free or would there be a transfer involved? If so would that actually count as an allocation? That is if he will agree to a lower wage.

2. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer.

The origional loan deal had a purchase price of $50,000'ish attached. Not sure with expiration of the deal if that number changes. I would expect it would stay the same.

Then again maybe that is the sticking point. Frankly Eliott and Clarke won't tell me what they are working on with it except to "Lower his cap impact" which as I mentioned can really happen a couple ways. But probably is the afore mentioned contract issue.

Not an allocation Burn already own his MLS rights.

3. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking at it this way.

The burn will pay Brann the $50,000 or so, but his vlaue to Brann is not very much. If they can get Toni for $35,000, so much the better.

I think the real sticking point is Toni's salary. He could be a TI, but his salary dictatges he is a senior international. If the Burn can get his slary down to TI level, then they not only have more room under the cap, which could (at last) become a problem this year, but also have another SI spot open.

This would result in a substantial cut in Toni's salary, and I doubt he would really want to do it. On the other hand, he is in a bad situation at Brann, but in a good situation with the Burn.

That might be enough to do it, but I agree with Buzz. I do not think we will see the Big Man again.

4. Jinxter

Jinxter New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    Bergen, Norway
    Woohoo, Toni is sold to Burn.

The price is really low, totaling a bit less than $150.000, including both the transfer fee and what Burn paid during the loan period. But it's about what we paid for him originally, so it's okay. At least he's not occupying one of our non-EU spots anymore.

Hope he'll work out for you guys.
    Best of luck :)

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uh? When did this happen and is this official now? Can anyone else confirm?

Its not that I don't believe you Jinxter, but this is out of the blue.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    If Toni had a lower salary last year he could have been a TI. Unfortunately, because he turns 25 this year, he will be, regardless of what we are paying him, an SI [maybe we could get him one of those fake passports, though]. Assuming, that is, that we just acquired him, like Jinxter says.

7. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Please, PLEASE tell me it's true.

Buzz?

8. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    odor of burned coffee

If this rumor is true, this should clearly confirm the type of soccer style that you will see from Collin. Nhelko is a prototype target forward. If you commit a ton of team resources to a player like this, you are setting the foundation for the boring Euro retread /USSF trash type of style.

Since the Hispanics are gone, what the heck. Might as well let Collin express his stunted soccer imagination through this team. No none but Collin and a few of you who post in his defense will even care what is going on with the team once the season starts.

And to you who are attempting to give the benifit of the doubt to this coach, what is it going to take for you to wake up and smell the burned Irish coffee?

9. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Re: odor of burned coffee

If excellent distribution coming from tremendous target/holding skills is 'trash', I hope we're fully 'in-the-dumps' by mid-season 2004.

Don't hold out for many 'garbage' goals with Toni in charge up top tho. The chemistry that he's brought to this team is quite entertaining.

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

OMG!!!! I've made more sense from fish than this idiot.

MODERATORS: Can we block these morons? See my other thread.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got nothing right now, but I know they were working on it. I will try and find out Monday.

12. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You mean a target forward like Batigol?
    or Ronaldo?

13. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
  14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Chamo,
    That article is from August, I wonder if the issue has been resolved since then? BTW, I like how the article referred to the team as the Dallas Burns.

15. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Welcome aboard to "Chippa" if the rumor is true, and Jinxter seems pretty reliable. I wonder how Toni will fit in if we manage to play better possession and aren't simply lobbing long balls to him from our bunker.

16. ggh01

ggh01 Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    The article is from South Africa. It is hot off the press! In most of the rest of the world, 08/12/2003, means December, 8th. The day comes first, then the month in the middle.

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a kick out of this line from the article:
    Yeah, right. I guess they aren't familiar with some of the escapades of our NBA players.

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    D'oh! I should have realized that, I've been overseas enough to remember.

19. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Re: Re: odor of burned coffee

Well, I disagree about Ronaldo and to some extent Batistuta. But, I think that if you are searching for a Hispanic that fits the stereotype of a human rebounding wall, you are probably searching for Carlos Hermosillo.

20. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok talked to Elliott.

Toni is being handled by the league office, as these things are in MLS. Elliott says that nothing is final yet. He did say it is a front burner priority, and they expect it to happen very soon. The target is to have 95% of roster complete by Jan 1.

21. ggh01

ggh01 Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Interview with Toni

This interview was posted on the Jomo Cosmos website Dec. 10th, but from some of the content it sounds like it might have taken place much earlier. Still nice to hear how Chippa rates MLS and passion for the game in America.

http://www.jomocosmos.co.za/default.asp?AID=101186

He also states at the end of the interview when asked about 2004, "My primary aim is to settle down and make an impact in the MLS."
    I do hope things work out for him here in Dallas and he gets to make a big impact for us.
    GH

22. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nice find gg.

It's good to see Toni has such a great attitude. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do next season. He didn't exactly score a lot for us last season, but there was no denying the improvement in our offense when he was in the game and his good chemistry with the other players.

23. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought everyone would like an update, not that it is remarkable.

As of Monday 12/15 the Burn are still in negotiations with Toni.