NHL Off-Season Thread..

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by IBleedTeal, Jul 17, 2002.

1. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The National Hockey League Offseason..

Guerin's in Dallas
    Holik n Kasper are in NY
    Selanne stays with SJ
    Amontes in PHO
    Wheres Fleury Goin..

Discuss..

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the hell is Fleury goin? Haven't heard any rumors of the Rangers re-signing him. He'll play for less so I'd say go for it but he doesn't have any Edmonton roots so I guess Slats can't sign him.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Sykora goin to the Ducks? Looks like they got somewhat of a team now.

4. Golden Curly Locks

Golden Curly Locks New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    California
    BOO!!!

He should have come to SJ!

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Rangers traded the rights of Fleury to SJ. So whoever signes Fleury, SJ gets a future draft pick. Something like that anyway. I say the Sharks should sign him. He's a good scorer if he isn't causing trouble. With him and Selanne, this could finally push the Sharks into the West Finals and even the Stanley Cup Finals.

6. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Fleury's just about done, keeping Selanne was paramount. Slanne is much younger than fleury so how do you "boo" that move?? And having both of them was not an option with the Sharks payroll restrictions. But I feel the Sharks will be more than ready for next season...

7. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Fleury wont choose till right about training camp..
    Fleury to the Ducks :D
    They are contenders now :rolleyes:

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well whatever Fleury does, I wish him luck. He went through some tough personal crap in his life and was man enough to admit to it. I'll always remember him for when Eric Cairns was skating back to his bench and Fleury comes over and nonchalantly takes Cairns' stick out of his hand, heads over the to Ranger bench and smashes the blade into the ground, snapping it off. Classic Islanders/Rangers.

9. Golden Curly Locks

Apr 26, 2000
    California
    I boo that we have Selanne and not Fleury because I believe Fleury plays with more heart. I think Fleury would be a better fit for the Sharks; he'd be a better compliment to our team, and I can think of multiple lines he would work on. Plus, I love watching him play. And, like otterulz, I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A question for you Sharks fans. Is Graves popular with the fans? I only ask cuz I love old #9 and still consider him a Ranger. You won't find a more classier athlete on and off the ice. He plays with heart, grit, and determination. Off the ice he does so much for kids and different charities. I got all choked up when he made his return to the Garden. I know New York still and always will love him. Does San Jose?

11. Golden Curly Locks

Apr 26, 2000
    California
    Graves is popular with this Sharks fan. I think he's a favorite and everyone I talk to really likes him here. I remember a little story from an article or a bit on a TV show which was about how Graves is such a stand-up guy with the example of how he was at a Sharks event where he asked two of the younger Sharks to move to the back of autograph line with him to make sure everyone waiting got a chance to get something signed. He's done more, I'm sure; it's just the story I always remember.

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gravey went through a tough time his last couple of years as a Ranger. 99-00, one of his newborn twins died because they were born premature. Then the next season his father, who means the world to him, passed away. He went through tough times and had his worst season as a Ranger. A lot of the Rangers and Ranger fans wanted him to stay even though there were persistent rumors of him being traded. Unfortunately Glen Sather traded him to SJ. In a way I'm happy since he's on a great team, but dissapointed cuz he should've finished his career here on Broadway.

13. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Can some NHL insiders give me an outlook on the perspectives of the German players for the next season?

There are:

Sven Butenschön (D) - Florida Panthers - signed as free agent, had only 54 games in 5 seasons (Pittsburgh, Edmonton) scoring 1 goal and 2 assists. It's definitely his last chance. His plus: he was in the AHL all star team last season. His chances on making it in Florida?

Jochen Hecht (F) - Buffalo Sabres - was traded against two second round picks from Edmonton. 247 games with 56 goals and 80 assists. 40 points were not enough to satisfy the Oilers last season. His chances in Buffalo?

Olaf Kölzig (G) - Washington Capitals - not much to say about him. Does the head coach change somehow affect his position? Is Billington still the backup?

Uwe Krupp (D) - Atlanta Thrashers - 37 year old veteran with more than 800 games. Just recovered from an almost 2 years lasting injury. Atlanta plans with him to strengthen the defence. Does anyone think he can still do it?

Marco Sturm (F) - San Jose Sharks - basically no questions. He'll confidently play his part as every season.

Christoph Schubert (D) - Ottawa Senators - 20 year old who was signed for three years. Is thought to play in the farm team. How are his chances to see playing time in Ottawa this season?

Dennis Seidenberg (D) - Philadelphia Flyers - same as for Schubert, just with the exception that he hasn't signed yet, but probably will.

Does anyone have info whether the Sharks are planning to get Christian Ehrhoff to America?

14. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, I didn't realize there were that many Germans in the NHL.

15. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Krupp's washed up. Can't offer too much about the other players other than I think Hecht might have been traded to free up some cash to hold onto Comrie and others.

16. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Fleury is going to Chicago, plain and simple. He seems right to fill Billy's shoes.

17. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I feel for Straka. That sucks to say the least.

18. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    I also got my doubts, but I heard that it's a fair deal. While Krupp earned $16.4 M for four years in Detroit, he's now accepting 500K basic salary.

yellowbismark:
    Yes, it's getting better with German hockey. But yet only 11 made it to the NHL (33 drafted, with Kölzig, Sturm and M Goc three first round picks), and except Kölzig, Krupp, Sturm, Hecht and Hiemer (mid 80s, Devils) nobody had more than 100 games. However, in 2001 seven were drafted, Seidenberg and Schubert get their first America steps; Christian Erhoff (as far as Seidenberg/Schubert) and Marcel Goc (needs more time, both San Jose) might get a shot while the other three won't have realistic chances. But finally German hockey is developing talents and not only seeking for German roots in Canada.

19. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Yeah, but *which* Daigle?

Sharks announce in today's SJ Mercury that '93 #1 overall pick Alexandre Daigle will be in camp.

If that guy really wants to play now, could be a good move (100 goals, 141 assists in 5+ seasons ain't that bad, but certainly didn't live up to the hype that came with being dubbed "the next Mario"...). Otherwise, big waste of time, IMHO. Sharks need a solid fourth-line center, and I'm not convinced, given Daigle's ego, that he'd ever consider himself the man for <i>that</i> job.

Merc also reported that Stephane Matteau!Matteau!Matteau! and Gary Suter will be offered reduced contracts for reduced roles. Looks like more PT for Jillson on the blue line.

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Daigle's a washed up, never was schmuck. He had a good attitude once with the Hartford Wolfpack when he couldn't make the Rangers. It lasted about a month. Don't count on him, concentrate on signing Theo.

21. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Sharks are stocked at right wing (Nolan, Sundstrom, Selanne and Bradley). The need is apparently at center, specifically fourth line. And I hope they're not giving up on Mark Smith, who did pretty well in that role as a rookie last year. Maybe they're thinking of moving Smitty to left wing and putting Daigle in the middle. And Steph would be watching from the skybox a lot (thus the offer of a reduced role...). They also have to give their top prospect in the minors, Jonathan Cheechoo, a serious look in camp; I heard he can play either wing pretty well.

My opinion of Daigle going in is the same as yours. With this guy, definitely guilty until proven innocent.

22. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's Billy?

23. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daigle was a Ranger for most of the 99-00 season. He impressed some and showed signs of why he was drafted #1 in 1993. Of course he faded though, but then again, so did that whole Rangers team that year. But who knows, Daigle might have something left to prove.

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Whoops, my mistake. TONY's shoes