NHL loses almost $300 million last year

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by RBourd52, Sep 19, 2003.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're exactly right, if by "damaged" you mean "expanded the game and brought in more money and fans." :rolleyes:

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was in Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, up unitl the 60s or so, when they built a balcony on that end to add about 3,000 more seats.

I agree on the basic point, that in Canada, people care about the game itself. It was a real shame to see the Nords and Jets move south a few years ago, and particularly in Quebec's case it was a lot more than just a local sports team, but a symbol of Quebecois identity. Note the blue/white uniform with the fleur de lis that matches the Quebec flag. Unfortunately, the province was faced with a choice--blow the money on luxuries like schools, hospitals, police and fire protection, or make a prudent investment in a new arena with lots of corporate luxury boxes so a professional sports team can "remain competitive."

A two-teir 40-odd team NHL with promotion and relegation might actually work, and teams like Quebec, Win-a-pig, and Saskatoon (who almost got the St. Louis Blues in the 80s) would be able to hang in there and make a run at the big time, but keep the continuity of the same team name/colors/identity even if they got relegated.

Tom

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, things have definitely changed in the NHL. i grew up as a kid in new york, finished out high school in tampa and now live in DC. I can't speak to the current situation of tampa, but when i was there, the team got NOOOOO support. If things have changed now, great, because my parents still live down there and i will be down there for a couple of weeks in december/january! LOL anyway, the general point is true though that the game itself is a lot less appealing. the amount of teams has clearly spread the talent thin. The games are a lot less skillful than they were. If it were just marginally so, then expansion might have been worth it, but it is definitely a matter of degrees. having said that though, a previous writer on this thread was correct. if you go strictly by support and the bottom line, the Capitols would be one of the first teams to go. the team was in the finals a few years ago and couldn't sell out!

4. alekhine8

alekhine8 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Tampa, etc

USAsoccer,

Im with you on Tampa. I live here and while I dont have season tickets or anything, they are selling great here in the area. And they have one of the best young teams in the league.

I havent done any research and given no one else bothers to before they post, Im not going to. But everytime I watch a game from Phoenix I see the fans going nuts all wearing white t-shirts and generating a great game atmosphere. I dont think the problem is these 'non-hockey' markets.

The NHL is in trouble. The problem is I dont see them getting a huge TV contract once its up because the ratings just arent that good. Thats going to drain the league of a major source of income and thats when its going to hit the fan with regard to player salaries and a possible strike/lockout.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Tampa, etc

http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoster/business/nhl_attn.html

Average attendance for Phoenix last season 13,229/game. No doubt that it's many of the Canadian "Snowbirds" helping to keep attendance up.

6. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    America West Arena: worst sightlines in the NHL.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If that's the case, we should've seen better TV raitings and more Americans in the NHL.

Neither has happened. Seems also that ownership problems are more rampant with southern teams.

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other points aside, this takes time. The effects of the US Olympic victory in '80 really weren't appreciable until the mid-late '90s (just like the effects of the '70s 'soccer boom' weren't really felt until my generation - those growing up in the early 80s - grew up). It takes rinks being built and lots of youth/high school programs taking root. Who knows if it'll happen there, but you've got to give it more than 4 or 5 years.

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's a very poor excuse. You've had more than a decade to make an impact and the programs to make an impact have been already in place.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your ignorance of American geography is showing. Pittsburgh and Buffalo are in what we call the "north." Also, dammit, which was the Canadian team that near about went belly up last year...was it the Sens? I think it was.

Maybe you mean southern Canada. :roll:

11. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    It probably would because in today's NHL, realistically, what's the difference between say the Atlanta Thrashers and the Lowell Lock Monsters of the AHL?

Probably about 3 or 4 players when you come right down to it.

And the average fan, I'm sure, can't tell the difference. If they could, no one would bother going to an NHL game because then they would know the product they're seeing is essentially minor league compared to what it was in the 70's and 80's.

And minor league caliber hockey for major league prices is a total rip off. Which is what the NHL is.

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, those three players are Heatley, Kovalchuk and Dafoe.

13. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

I'm assuming this has a point, but I'm afraid I'm just too dense to see it. Would it ruin the joke to explain it?