NHL Hockey players leaving for Europe

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Nelziq, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Nelziq

Nelziq New Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/17/sports/hockey/17hockey.html?oref=login&hp

How does this effect/relate to soccer in the US?

As I see it this has two important points.

1) Less competition in the wide wide world of sports. More room for the MLS to step up and grab some of the mind share.

2) In todays globalized economy, the old monopoly, single-entity sports ownership is not going to work. Soccer in the US will be particularly effected by this since there is such a vigorous global market for soccer talent.

Discuss.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I watch ESPN and Fox Sports Net a lot and I havent seen them talking more about MLS since the NHL has now gone away. No NHL does not mean more exposure and attention for MLS on the major networks.

3. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    It will have no effect on MLS, NHL is during MLS "offseason" for the most part, they overlap at the ends of each but for the most part they don't.

There are enough "big time" sports still running in US right now to occupy the folks at ESPN, NFL is going, NBA, college football and college basketball. Baseball will startup in a few months and at least locally here in New England they have lots of baseball to talk about with all the free agents the Red Sox have to deal with right now, especially since Pedro spent the other day talking with the Yankees.

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

N H L...( R.I.P.)....drunk, overpaid canadians...fist fights on skates....the euros will love 'em...

Not

5. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    I assume you agree with the statement that all professional athletes are overpaid then, correct?

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    No....just the useless overpaid f--ks in the former NHL....

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    As attendance at Euro ice hockey leagues has jumped significantly.... I think they do love em.

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    what from 800 a game to 900 ?

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    And Texas is such a hotbed for hockey. :rolleyes:

High School football is lame.

Now are we even?

This thread has beans to do with soccer in the us, but anyway.

10. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding me? THis could have a major effect on MLS should they stay on their current course and lock the whole season out. Think about it. What does ESPN show mostly in the months of April and May? Playoff Hockey. Not to mention that ABC also shows playoff games Saturday afternoons in the general timeslot of Soccer Saturday, which is 3-6PM eastern time. With no NHl to speak of, don't you think ABC would take a chance to fill in empty space with something?

11. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Yep - baseball preseason. For the same reason our newspaper commonly gives a full page of baseball coverage each week in the offseason - because it will sell.

12. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But ABC doesn't show any baseball games. Even though they are owned by Disney which also owns ESPN, ABC cannot nationally televise any baseball games. That honor belongs to FOX. ABC already nationally televises MLS games(even if it is only three of them). So, since they cannot show baseball games, I don't see why they wouldn't think about showing some MLS games in the NHL's old Saturday afternoon timeslot, if there are no playoffs by then.

13. atlheel

atlheel New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Atlanta/Chapel Hill
    I think that's the only shot the MLS has at filling in, and I don't think that many people who are hockey fans are looking for a new sport to fill the void. Most that I know are falling back on one of the Big Three, so I doubt soccer as a pro sport is really going to get as much mileage out of the lockout as you might hope.

And as for the European leagues, they love the NHLers (unless "they" is a borderline pro player who has lost a roster spot to one). I mean, come on, those fans get to see world-class players when they're 16 and 17, not once they peak playing over here. It's a great opportunity for them. And a great opportunity for me to get better at reading Russian sports articles :rolleyes:

14. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Hockey is not dead, ok look at were MLS teams are located and if you still like hockey you still have places to go watch. NE- Tons of college teams, new BU rink opens soon, AHL. Chicago- the wolves. Dallas- Junior and Pro teams. CBus- college. Denver- College. Lets face it to think that because the nhl is not around that hockey fans will jump ship to watch the mls is crazy, the media will not cover the mls anymore then it does now. The MLS will only become better by making its product better, not by the lack of nhl hockey. The mls will not fill nhl time slots on tv unless you just wont to go from bad tv ratings to brutal tv ratings. College Bball will fill the those slots, Poker, other espn crap.

15. atlheel

atlheel New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Atlanta/Chapel Hill
    Agree, and honestly, even in non-traditional markets (Atlanta, for example), I think that the greatest beneficiary of the lockout isn't another pro sport. It's amateur and rec hockey (can't watch? Ok, then play), as well as the lower levels that you mention. In fact, Atlanta's ECHL team has pulled 10K+ a couple times this season.

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    giving away tickets will do this....I for one am glad the f--king nhl is gone...hope it stays gone....for a very long time...

forever

17. atlheel

atlheel New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Atlanta/Chapel Hill
    I'm sure it would, but they weren't.

Anyway, the NHL will get over itself after a season of this.