NGR - Cups and Worthless Cups

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by shirteesdotnet, Sep 6, 2007.

1. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup is obviously important. And I like the new SuperLiga if it stays a USA vs. Mexican tourney, but it feels like the Open Cup is becoming useless anymore. Like its time has passed. Why should we be having a tourney between MLS and USL at all? Im generalizing the open cup, but thats pretty much what it is: MLS v USL. And the final is MLS v MLS. Kinda dumb.

Id really like to see a UEFA Euro style tournament between North, Central and South American teams.

And why not a Champions League between the Americas too?

Just straight out copy what UEFA is doing, but with our countries and pro teams. It would be an instant success.

2. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree, there should be an expanded North and Central American champions league. The current format (the Concacaf champions cup) doesn't do the region justice. As far as the Superliga, it's very interesting, but the timing this year was horrendous. It should be moved into the pre-season as a sort of warm up tournament for the league.

As far a the US open cup, I have to disagree with you there. I think, no matter how foolish it sounds, that it's kinda cool that me and my friends could put together a squad and play against a MLS team. Unlikely as it might be, the possibility of amateurs winning it versus a team of pros, still exists. It's also the oldest cup in the US. Because I value tradition, I would not be so quick to put this trophy in the dustbin.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Open Cup is only "worthless" to those teams that get bounced early. Its only "worthless" if you have no respect for or desire to promote one of the few American soccer traditions that actually exists.

When LAG won it in '05, the game against FC Dallas was, perhaps, the most exciting of the year, and a much better spectacle than the MLS Cup. The players played with an incredible intensity on both teams and it was clear they didn't think it was "worthless."

Is the FA Cup worthless. Is the Copa del Rey (I think that's the name for the Spanish equivalent) worthless?

The only "worthless" cups I know about are those worn by DC United players.

4. LosAngeles

LosAngeles Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hardly call the Open Cup worthless. Throwing it away is throwing away nearly 100 years of tradition of soccer in America. And any tournament that allows amateur sides in to play with the big boys is brilliant and tailor made for beautiful story lines. I guarantee you that if the USOC was marketed with a bit more verve any MLS fan would become enthused about it. Storylines such as Dallas Roma F.C. (some pub club) beating Chivas USA are what makes the tournament worthwhile in my eyes.