[NGR] Beckham in the Media.2

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Crimen y Castigo, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Ignorance of the UK commentator who said the US season was already over...

2. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    And that's the point! Those pundits who called him "a wash up in MLS", "block the progress of national team" were pissed by that MOTM. It might be a joke but hey, someone doesn't find it that funny. Nothing pleased me more than watching those clowns got pissed.

4. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought it was interesting that a sub for the last 30 minutes got MOTM...and then i, as i'm sure all of you, saw the impact that jose torres had on the game last night, as a 30-minute sub, and he certainly was my MOTM for the USMNT.

5. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's a Red Bulls' fan.

6. MrStench

MrStench Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I personally don't see how that's funny. I think it's DESERVED. Look how hard he wants to play for his country. After all he's been through and done for them, the fans' "adoration" is expected. Now, the MOTM could be debatable. But I'm not gonna argue against it. He did make a difference and his passing was great.

7. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Juke Box meant funny in a good way. Like it's funny that no matter how much crazy shit that gets written about him ("he's finished" "he's single-handedly responsible for killing English football") the England fans made up their own minds how they feel about him a long time ago. They appreciate his dedication to his country and they don't mind showing it. It's nice to see.

I also think it's funny that it drives some sectors of the media absolutely batshit crazy every time David Beckham receives any kind of praise or recognition and they feel the need to come out in force and piss all over it and yet nobody cares. Nobody that matters anyway. I think most of the England fans stopped caring about the never-ending media spin about the same time Capello made it clear that he doesn't listen to any of it.

8. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has defended his decision to name former Manchester United team-mate David Beckham as England's man of the match against Belarus.
    Beckham move to Milan "a done deal"
    Greaves: Capello should axe Beckham
    [​IMG]Ian Kington/GettyImages
    Beckham: Winning the "nobel peace prize" of man of the match awards.

Bruce, working on the game as a television pundit, handed Beckham the award after he came off the bench to play his part in a 3-0 World Cup qualifying victory at Wembley.
    One newspaper columnist later described the decision as "grotesque'', while England boss Fabio Capello likened it to Barack Obama receiving the Nobel Peace prize just months into his term as American president.
    However, Bruce was unrepentant when questioned on the topic today.
    "It's incredible," he said. "I have never known such a carry-on. When I was in the stadium, he came on to the pitch and let's be fair, for 50 minutes, it was dull, boring, uninteresting. That's the way I looked at it.
    "David Beckham comes on to the scene, the whole stadium in unison rises to him and I thought, 'Blooming heck! Wow! Fantastic! Now Dave, what have you got?'
    "For me, for the 35, 40 minutes, he lit up Wembley, the way his attitude was, and I suppose that's why Mr Capello keeps picking him to go into the squad, to do something like that for him. Maybe he can't do it for 90 minutes. However, for me, he had an impact. That's the way I saw it, that's the way I called it.''

--ESPN soccernet

Video interview from BBC sport

9. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL..I already thought that somebody MIGHT have misunderstood my comment when I said how funny the situation was, but I didn't expect to be taken seriously. Anyway...I was one of the fans who was really pleased when it was announced that he was the MOTM. Of course I was shocked, but happy nonetheless. And guess what..I think he deserved it. ;) :)

Thanks for clarifying! :D
    And your 2nd para there is totally true! Thank God England got Fabio Capello now..otherwise most of the fans and some people that matters would still be in delusion.

10. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There is something about Beckham's persona that has an extreme effect on the British media. It's like a Frankenstein monster that they themselves created and now can't control, and they are alternately trying to destroy it and then rebuild it again depending on what day it is and which way the wind is blowing.

Does anyone even remember who was named MOTM in the last five England games? Anyone? Has the press ever given the MOTM any more than a brief acknowledgment in the post game write-ups? Beckham wins and suddenly it affects the fate of the nation. :rolleyes:

11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Beckham stories = more eyeballs = more ad revenue. Simple as that.

12. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    David Beckham’s hard sell for World Cup bid

David Beckham has pledged to do everything in his power to aid England’s bid to host the 2018 World Cup finals.

The former England captain revealed yesterday that his two remaining goals as he nears the end of an illustrious career are to win the World Cup in South Africa next summer before helping to bring the tournament home eight years later.

The Fifa executive committee is due to make its decision in December next year and Beckham’s role as an official ambassador for the England bid could prove crucial.

Jack Warner, a vice-president of football’s world governing body who is thought to hold considerable influence over five of the 24-man voting panel, accused England’s bid team last week of failing to take advantage of Beckham’s unique pulling power, and the man himself is keen to have a greater involvement.

Beckham is committed to attending the draw for the 2010 World Cup in Cape Town in December, when the charming of Fifa executives will be just as important as the fate of Fabio Capello’s side.

“I’ll do whatever it takes, without a doubt,” Beckham said. “If I can fly to different countries and help us have a chance of winning, then I’ll do that. It would be special to win the World Cup and then host it, but there is a long way to go before that. It’s everyone’s dream to do that, but there is a lot of hard work for both.

“I was honoured to be involved in the Olympic bid, we were successful there and I was asked to be an ambassador of this one. I accepted and I’m serious about it. I’m still playing and it’s difficult for me to go to certain places, but given the MLS season ends in November, I’ll be in South Africa in December. I’m going there for a few days and will do what I can.”
    Beckham responded to Warner’s claims that England’s bid was “lightweight” and denied allegations of an arrogant belief within English football that it has a divine right to host the tournament.

The 34-year-old demonstrated the diplomatic skills of a career politician, arguing that England is ready to stage a World Cup finals next week while accepting that some of the criticisms are valid. “We have the people there and we are serious about this bid,” Beckham said. “Just because we’re England, love the game and are one of the biggest nations for the game, it doesn’t mean we’re taking this bid lightly.

“We don’t expect to get it because we can’t expect anything, but we will work hard and we want to get it. Everyone has their opinions and says things that we need to do. We need to take that on board. You have to take advice and criticism from people because you learn from that.
    “I think we’re right because we’re a nation that loves the game. The facilities around our country are exceptional. You look at the stadiums and they are second to none. If we were given the World Cup and it was held next week, we would be ready.

“If we want something like the World Cup in our country, it’s not just given to you, you have to get things right and make a lot of people happy. We plan on doing that.”

Beckham said that England are ready to make an impact at next summer’s tournament after winning nine of their ten qualifying matches under Capello. “We’ve had a successful campaign and know we have a good group of players and a good management staff,” he said. “But we’ve also got a willingness to learn.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6877118.ece

13. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay this wasn't in the media; but I didn't want to start another thread for this.

My question is that in the next two years if Klein is gone; do you think Beckham switches to his beloved 7? or does he stick with his 23 number?

14. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah..this is an interesting question, and valid. Of course, I would love to see him in No. 7 again. Let him retires in the one and only number that gave him glory and means a lot to him. It's like a religion to him. He wouldn't have tattooed the number on his skin for nothing. ;)

15. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    I don't think so. I think he will stick to 23.

16. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well here is the other thing; think of the huge marketing gimic that this could cause. Now you would have to buy another galaxy jersey so you can have him in the #7.

17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's had a few numbers. 32 when he came through at United. Was actually number 10 when he scored from the halfway line at Man U. Shirt was vacated by Mark Hughes going to Chelsea. Eric Cantona (the #7 IMO) hadn't retired yet.

But yes, 7 became his main number at United.

Are you sure the tattoo isn't a tribute to Chris? ;)

18. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    he was #24 before he wore #10. then #7.

19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're right. 32 was his AC Milan number.

20. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that would bring nothing but good to the Gs. I'm sure Timmy would really love it too! ;)

21. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice quote from Donovan about his relationship with Beckham -

Really happy to read this. It's good to know that what we see on the field between the two of them goes all the way through.

22. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    Yeah right, cause Becks is a real Man while Donovan is not.

23. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was unaware that Landon Donovan had recently had his penis removed. Because, clearly, this must be what you're alluding to, as there is no other way to not be a "real man".

Unless, of course, you're engaging in some kind of moronic hyperbole with no real meaning, to fuel some kind of bizarre hatred of Donovan. But that surely can't be the case, can it?

24. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    Nah, just some comment regarding Donovan's latest words about Becks. The more how his latest words contrast to his previous one, the more I despise him. Simple as that. Too bad he cannot keep his mouth shut otherwise we can all live in peace.

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I nominate this as the most ironic post in Bigsoccer history?