NFL Week 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by soccernutter, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Seahawks at Packers

Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Raiders at Bears

Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Dolphins at Giants

Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Bengals at Bills

Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Titans at Patriots

Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Vikings at Falcons

Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Broncos at Chiefs

Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Cardinals at Cowboys

Sun. Oct. 5 1:00 p.m. ET Saints at Panthers

Sun. Oct. 5 4:05 p.m. ET Chargers at Jaguars

Sun. Oct. 5 4:15 p.m. ET Redskins at Eagles

Sun. Oct. 5 4:15 p.m. ET Lions at 49ers

Sun. Oct. 5 8:30 p.m. ET Browns at Steelers

Mon. Oct. 6 9:00 p.m. ET Colts at Buccaneers

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Goin to 4-0 @ Ericsson..man I havent seen a Panthers game since Collins was QB

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I was 9-5 last week, bringing me to around .610 for my picks through a quarter of the season.

This week I see the home teams taking most of the games....

Kansas City over Denver
    The showdown at Arrowhead. KC will be pumped beyond belief for this game. The place will be rocking. Priest and Hall are striking fear in opponents and we lead the league in TO ratio. Jake Plummer had a terrible day last season in Arrowhead, albeit with a weaker cast around him. Portis is looking to be fragile, and is still a question mark for this week.

Giants over Miami
    The Giants offense looks like it can put points up on almost anyone. Miami's defense doesnt take the ball away much, but holds teams to few points. The Giants defense wins this game by focusing on Ricky Williams.

Green Bay over Seattle
    Farve is going to keep the ship heading in the right direction. His WRs are getting healthy and Ahman Green is incredible again. Seattle will make this game close with their improved defense and capable offense, but the Pack have to regain home field advantage at some point.

Minnesota over Atlanta
    When's Vick coming back again? Atlanta runs the risk of losing all hope of the playoffs if they cant get a couple more wins before Vick shows up. Minnesota, NOT underachieving anymore :D , will just throw the ball up and let Moss catch it some more. Minnesota is picking off passes right and left, which isnt good news for Doug Johnson.

Carolina over New Orleans
    New Orleans can't get the ball moving on offense. Carolina's defense will take advantage of that fact and hold them to very few points. If the Panthers can score 17 points this game is all theirs.

Buffalo over Cincy
    Buffalo lost at home last week to Philly. They'll be licking their chops to get back at someone, and who better than Cincy? Without Dillon, Kitna will be forced to throw early and often. Chad Johnson is the only chance the Bengals have in this one. If Henry can get healthy he'll have a big day.

Oakland over Chicago
    Will Chicago ever win? I'd love for them to win this one, and they're due, but Oakland may have sparked something in OT last weekend. Gannon stopped whining and started playing and look what happened. The AARP WRs got 15 catches and won't need that many this week as Garner tears up da Bears. A-Train needs help from Stewart, but won't get much against Woodson and Buchanan.

Dallas over Arizona
    Emmitt returns to the Big D, and loses because his team sucks. They can't sack the QB, even against St. Louis's poor O-line. Carter will have all day to run or hit his three WRs. Hambrick had a break out game and could do more against the Cards. Blake and Bouldin have been surprises for the Cards, and will hook up more as the team trails in most games.

New England over Tennesse
    I think Tennesse is one of the best teams in the AFC, but I'm not so sure they can win two tough games on the road in a row. New England needs this game pretty bad, and Brady knows it. This game will go to the wire, but Troy Brown will finally come out of the closet and get some darn catches.

Jacksonville over San Diego
    Some has to win right? The best matchup of this game is Tomlinson vs. Taylor. Both defenses suck and neither team has a passing game to speak of. If Brunell happens to start and Jimmy Smith (welcome back crack head) is cleared to play, the old connection should lead to victory. Regardless, Marty's Chargers are falling apart at the seems.

Philly over Washington
    McNabb is so pissed off at Rush Limbaugh that he throws for 250, 2 TDs and runs one more TD in. Washington might squeek this out if they take advantage of an injured Eagles secondary. Otherwise a close game, like most NFC East matchups, ends in the Eagles favor.

San Fran over Detroit
    Welcome back Mooch. TO and Garcia aren't speaking. TO needs to remove his head from his ass. He says hes not thrown to enough, yet hes been thrown at more than ANY other receiver in the NFL. Someone has a temper, and needs to shut the hell up and play ball. Harrington cant get it done without a running game, and Detroit doesnt have one.

Pittsburgh over Cleveland
    The Browns look bad, and that surprises me. Pittsburgh is awesome at home and will want to get back on track after seemingly handing the Titans a game last week. The Bus and Maddox get the job down while the Browns cant run and unless Holcomb starts have an average QB that makes $7Mil.

Tampa over Indy
    Really good matchup here. So many stories, most importantly Dungy going back to Tampa. As with every Bucs win, this will come down to their defense shutting down the Colts. Manning is coming off a career day against a crappy Saints defense and will get slapped around by the Bucs. Here's hoping Sapp learned a new dance in case he scores again. The Colts better hope James is back and ready if they want a chance at this one.

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    GO GREEN BAY! I'd call it a 31-28 victory for the Pack, Green going for over 150 yards and Favre putting in 2 TDs

5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    How much beer will BenC1357 stock up on for the weekend double?

Anyway, picks:

Minny goes to 5-0 with a win at Atlanta. Falcons can't find themselves, and they won't this week.

Tennessee wins at NE: I don't have much faith in the Pats this season, and the matchups don't work in their favor. Titans control the clock and game for a 20-13 game.

Giants find a way to beat Miami at home. They can score more, bottom line.

Carolina crushes NO at home, and Jim Haslett is VERY close to having NO job.

Cincy's better, but not enough to win at Buffalo. Bledsoe gets the passing gear in game from the get-go.

Raiders are still a mess, but the Bears aren't even good enough to be a mess. Silver and Black roll.

Emmitt returns to Dallas, but his team sucks worse than recent Cowboys editions. 3-1 for the Tuna in otherwise a bore.

Seattle at Green Bay: I can't see the Pack losing at home again. The Bears MNF game got Favre back on track, and he'll do plenty to pull out a win by a TD.

Don't care about SD at Jax, but I'll pick the home team and Leftwich.

I would really like to see Mariucci go back to SF and get an upset win, but I don't see it happening. SF will use internal turmoil as a rallying point, or will they?

Philly continues their turnaround with a win over the Skins. Too good for 1-3, and I'm not sold on the Skins yet. BTW, Rush Limbaugh and fuckoff.

KC goes to 5-0, not the Broncos. Plummer finds out the hard way what it's like to have a first real test at Arrowhead. KC's defense is better than people think too.

Steelers rebound and crush Browns at home.

Game of the year so far in the NFL: Tony Dungy comes back to Tampa with the Colts. Indy can move the ball better than TB, but is their defense really comparable? Not quite. Against the best team they've faced yet, Colts put up a fight but go down 19-13.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Now that the Red Sox are as good as done, when was the last time a NFL team had 2 safeties in the same game? Cowboys just got another, first one on a sack.

Pats just went ahead, but Vinatieri's missed 2 FGs so far, rare for him. Broncos-Chiefs seems as good as advertised.

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I don't even know what to say about Dante Hall's punt return. That was very well covered by the Broncos. This guy is beyond amazing.

8. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I'm still in shock about that one as well.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The return was just amazing, it just takes him one chance to break the game open.

10. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Touchdown for ex-XFL player

Speaking of returns...

"He Hate Me" returned a kickoff for 100 yards for Carolina in their win over New Ohawlns.

11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    The Jags Won!!! The Jags Won!!! Long live Leftwich!

12. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ATL QB Doug Johnson said:

“I don’t think they’re as good as we are. To come here and lose a game at home to a team that I don’t think is as good as we are…it’s tough. You’re supposed against teams you’re better than at home. That’s what good teams do. We didn’t do it. It’s frustrating.”

hahahaha. This guy needs his head checked. He not only sucked but dilusional.

Maybe what he meant was the falcons is a better team with Vick playing QB. Not himself.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm seriously worried about my Stillers. They looked like total shite against the Browns

14. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    :D I'm still wondering if the people at Arrowhead would just let me sleep in the parking lot. I leave Arrowhead around 10pm after Wizards games and am back tailgating at 9am for the Chiefs.

Once Hall broke outside and reached his own 20 the entire stadium realized he was going all the way. I've been to over 100 Chiefs games in Arrowhead, all through the success of the '90s, and I could only think of 4 or 5 times when the stadium was so loud and wild! And today, I can't talk my voice is so shot.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These Eagles made it hard to cheer for at the very end of the game as they let the Skins almost make an improbable game-tying effort.

I think the Birds should start featuring Brian Westbrook at tailback more and more...the guy has some incredible speed. What the heck happened to Correll Buckhalter? He was supposed to be the number one RB going into the season. Last night he had ZERO carries.

Still without their THREE Pro-Bowl defensive backs, the Eagles' D held their own enough for the win.

Who is a Cowboys fan????????????????
    BRING ON DALLAS!

16. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    This week Green Bay end Seattle's unbeaten streak at Lambeau... next week, same stadium, new victims... the Chiefs :D... Here's to "Brett Favre having a Brett Favre day" (a good one, btw)... and Daunte Hall & Priest Holmes getting a couple of crowbars to the legs

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many NFL games do you get to see over there in Ireland?

18. OtakuFC

OtakuFC New Member

Apr 13, 2000
    Florida
    Colts vs. Bucs [R]

Wow! Turned out to be an awesome game. Peyton is the Landon Donovan of the NFL ;) .

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelieveable game.

And if you turned the game off with five minutes to go, like my dad back home did, shame on you.

I thought the Bucs would be able to hold onto a 21-point lead deep into the final quarter-- which, in that case, I don't blame my dad for turning his TV off.

Let me pose this question... which is more impressive? Peyton Manning's comeback effort tonight, or the six TD passes he threw in three quarters the Sunday night before?

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gotta be the comeback. The 6 touchdowns are impressive, but the fact that they came from 21 down in like the final 5 minutes is just amazing. I mean, when the game is done, and you have a big lead, it's easy to just continue to pick apart a defense that isn't too good. But to do it against a team with a good defense like the Bucs is very impressive.

21. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That game was just nuts.

Peyton's comeback was more impressive IMO. That Saints D was just giving it to him.

Here's another question, who would you rather have to start on OT, Dante Hall and the Chiefs D or Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison?

22. OtakuFC

OtakuFC New Member

Apr 13, 2000
    Florida
    I'd say the former. Six TDs in a game is nothing to sniff at, but the Saints seem like easy picking this year. Just putting up 21 points against the Bucs D is impressive by itself, but scoring 21 points against the Bucs D with four minutes to go and one timeout is absolutely uneffingbelievable.

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the top of my head (and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this)...

Bucs defence, first three games (they had the bye last week): 1 TD allowed

Bucs defence, up until the end of the 3rd quarter tonight: 3 TD's allowed

Bucs defence, 4th quarter alone: 3 TD's allowed

Indeed, an amazing comeback, and that's what I would vote for.

The game was an instant classic. We get the whole game rebroadcast here at 9:30 p.m. tonight... hope my wife lets me watch it again. :D

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the highlights from the Monday night game on SportsCenter...

Wow. What a freakin' game.

25. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Last time I went to UK, I was surprised how many Europeans NFL fans support Green Bay packers. Most of their excuse is "Green Bay is a small market team". It is really not. Milwakee is only an hour away. Green Bay has highest merchandise revenue in NFL.