NFL Week 3 [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by skipshady, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    NFL probing Shanahan's fib about Plummer's injury: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1616424

I think the whole idea of reporting injuries in-game is silly and Shanahan was right to protect his QB. I also don't see much point in the Out/Doubtful/Probable classifications except for fantasy football or gambling.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Open Dates: Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia)
    Tampa Bay at Atlanta 1 p.m.
    Pittsburgh at Cincinnati 1 p.m.
    Minnesota at Detroit 1 p.m.
    Kansas City at Houston 1 p.m.
    Jacksonville at Indianapolis 1 p.m.
    New York Jets at New England 1 p.m.
    New Orleans at Tennessee 1 p.m.
    Green Bay at Arizona 4:05 p.m.
    St. Louis at Seattle 4:05 p.m.
    New York Giants at Washington 4:05 p.m.
    Baltimore at San Diego 4:15 p.m.
    Cleveland at San Francisco 4:15 p.m.
    Buffalo at Miami 8:30 p.m.

Monday, September 22
    Oakland at Denver 9 p.m.

Hopefully this will be a typical Raider/Broncos Monday night game.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BenC1357-"So the idea is that if the snap is botched try to throw an incomplete pass (the kick was on 3rd down IIRC) and then you've still got another play to try the field goal again."
    It was 2nd down.Take a knee, run the clock to 6 seconds and you can ground the ball if you have to_Of course an adequate kickoff moots all of it....

skipshady-"I also don't see much point in the Out/Doubtful/Probable classifications except for fantasy football or gambling."

I don't see much point in weapons except for war.... :)

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yeah, yeah. You know what I meant. :D

Well, of course, the injury reports are indispensable for fantasy football, but for real football players, they seem pretty meaningless. Is the other team going to prepare differently just because a player is upgraded from "doubtful" to "probable"? Highly doubtful. And you know coaches lie about their players' conditions too. If you're "probable, right knee" then you're kidding yourself if you think the other team won't go for your right knee.

I understand telling the media who will and won't play. But why is it mandatory?

5. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My prediction is the opposite of whatever Jeff predicts....and it's gonna be very good.

6. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    NFL Week 2 [R]

3 amazing games which went to OT especially the MNF game which the beloved Giants made a comeback to lead 32-29 with a field goal 12 secs from the end just to see the cowboys making their last pass to earn themselves a 53 yards FG attampt which they scored bringing the game to OT

back to sunday which a miracle has occured when Gramatica missed a last second bonus point to a TD to send the game to OT which the Panthers won(amazingly enough the worst record team last season beat the champs away)

and the 3rd one was at STL when the Rams beat the 49ers

BTW,i think the NFL should adopt the OT rules of the college football or that only a TD wins OT games and a field goal only wins if the 15 mins OT are over

7. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Wow, two good debates pop up in a short time....

1)
    I think the NFL is full of crap on this one. As Shannahan stated, he's got two QBs. If the other team knows that Plummer can't throw they'll a) go after Buerline and b) stack the run against a lesser QB. I understand the pregame designations (although those are mostly lies, because questionable status players often play and are fine), but when something happens in a game you shouldnt have to tell your opponent. Hell, if this were war would you openly announce to the other side that your top general had just been killed? I dont think so.

2)
    I'm torn on this one. I don't like seeing games where the team that gets that ball takes it straight down and kicks a FG for the win. Because some games are "great games" between two offenses and are tied at 38-38. Of course the defense isn't going to hold.
    The college system though, I dont like for the NFL. I dont like starting at the 25. Then in OT3 you have to start going for two no matter what.
    I say this: Start off like normal. Kick off the ball. If the receiving team scores, then there is one more kick off. If they do not score and the original kicking team gets the ball back in any way, then its sudden death from there on out. If the receiving team fumbles the kickoff and the kicking team recovers its sudden death.
    Basically I want both teams to have a chance to have their hands on the ball. If they blow it after that, its their fault.

8. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Bye Bye Bye

With Carolina off this week, it loses its advantage of momentum gained from defeating Tampa Bay.

Most of the time, the bye doesn't help a team, and often it hurts.

Why can't the NFL give everyone the same week off, mid-season? Or skip the damn thing, add in the week to 17 games, and allow a bigger roster to compensate for more injuries?

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moved the last 4 posts from Week 2 to Week 3 as they may effect the games of week 3. Though as I said in Week 2, this may be a larger topic that you guys may want to discuss in the NFL general thread.

Threads merged

10. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Bye Bye Bye

Depends on what team, and in what year, you ask whether the bye is helpful or hurtful. A team rolling high with few injuries will say they don't like the bye. A team reeling and injured with welcome a bye with open arms.

Reasons to have the bye the way it is:
    1) Money: You expand the season by one week. This adds four to six nationally televised games, not to mention all the local stations that get extra games. A lot of people stand to lose a lot of money if you eliminate one week of play.
    2) Give teams a rest during a long season. Sure a "mid season break" would do that. But the money mentioned in #1 is more important.

11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Weekly predictions...

There was a lot to learn from Week 2. Buffalo is for real. Tampa is beatable. Baltimore doesn't need a passing game. The Tuna is a pimp. A couple upsets and a couple of poorly placed upset picks made me 8-8 last week. Lets shoot for something better.

Tampa over Atlanta
    This is one of the harder picks this week. Conventional wisdom says Tampa because Atlanta has no Vick. Atlanta though showed the ability to come back last week. I think Atlanta's week secondary will be the straw that broke the camels back.

New England over NYJ
    NE showed that week one might have been a fluke. They came out and handed the Eagles their asses. Curtis Martin looks as old as Vinny, and the Jets defense lost starting CB Abraham for 8 weeks. This added with a resurgent Tom Brady spells a Pats win.

KC over Houston
    Holmes is questionable, but everyone says he'll play. Still, those words are a scare to Chiefs fans and fantasy owners alike. Still, Houston can't play with aggressive offenses like NO or KC. KC's new defense will cause Carr problems. Although I think KC will make this one closer than it should be.

Indy over Jacksonville
    Jacksonville has three starting CBs. They used a rookie safety to cover the slot WR last week. This means Marvin Harrison and Manning hook up big. James will finish out the game after the passing game gets the lead. Dungy's new defense will hold the Jags, minus another WR (Jimmy Smith is back in week 5), to less than 20 points.

Tennessee over NO:
    This should be a great game. Two really good QBs battling it out. If you look at these teams they are almost mirror images of one another. NO has better #2 and #3 WRs, while the Titans have a better defense. Because of the Titans playing style, this game will go to the wire.

Minnesota over Detroit:
    Harrington and Mooch are making this team better. But with no running game to show for (thanks to Mooch playing his star RB too long in the last preseason game) the Vikings offense will be on the field entirely too long to lose. Dante, Randy and Williams will rip the Liona apart.

Pittsburgh over Cincy:
    I want to give Cincy a chance after last week, but I'm not convinced that the Raiders are any good. Joey Porter is back after having the bullet removed from his ass. The Steelers 3-4 will shut down Dillon and Kitna will have the chance to work on an average secondary. Problem is, Kitna and Co. are below average. Burress, Ward and Randell El wreak ha-voc.

Washington over NYG:
    Heartbreaking loss for the Giants doesn't get any better this week. Did you see what Quiny Carter, Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway did to the Giants secondary with little running game to boot? Now replace those characters with Ramsey, Coles, Gardner and Candidate. Unless the Giants can outscore the Skins, Washington wins.

Seattle over St. Louis:
    Koren Robinson won't show up late this week and the Seahawks offense will give the Rams fits. More importantly, the Rams offensive line just plain sucks. Seattle has a revamped, and very good, defensive line, so Bulger will be running for his life.

Green Bay over Arizona:
    Do I even need to put anything in this space? Amahn Green alone wins this game. Favre could have any WRs out there and he's still win. Hell, they would play with two TEs, two RBs and one WR the whole game and win. Get the point?

San Fran over Cleveland:
    Garcia gets the job done even when people keep talking about his "injuries". TO has a headache, but I'm sure he'll play. The 49ers have the best "RB by committee" in the NFL. Cleveland is bracing for the next round of the QB controversy after this game.

San Diego over Baltimore:
    Ok Jamal Lewis. You're good, I won't take that away, but I saw the highlights. The Browns couldn't tackle my grandma last week. San Diego will make you pass. Enter Kyle Bowler. Enough said, Marty won't let the Chargers suck three games in a row.

Miami over Buffalo:
    Hardest pick all week. Miami showed that they can win the games they should win by beating the Jets. Buffalo has two impressive wins and Bledsoe is rolling. I have a feeling Miami's defense finally steps it up and makes a statement. Ricky Williams has to take this game over and give the Dolphins the time of possession battle.

Denver over Oakland:
    The Raiders look bad. On the road in Denver those old lungs will have to work even harder. Jake the Snake probably won't play, but that doesn't matter. This game will be close for a while, but the Broncos, riding Portis, win.

12. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Weekly predictions...

I gotta hand it to you, you have more optimism about the Chargers than most Chargers fans do. I hope you are right.

The Chargers have been schooled by running backs two weeks in a row, their tackling has also been grandma-like. The only difference that I can see between Lewis and Holmes/Portis that may help the Bolts is that Lewis does not have the speed to get outside the latter two have.

13. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    Did anyone see my Colts finally beat the Flaming Thumbtacks? It's about time......and in two games, the Colts have given up 13 points. Is Dungy a defensive master, or what?

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Soon to be my new Signature.

Tampa Bay rebounds in the Georgia Dome and slows down the Falcons.

Pittsburgh edges Cincy at Paul Brown. Bungles hung tough in Oakland, and will do so at home, but the Steelers get enough O to pull it out late.

Lions knock off Vikings at home? Nah, Minny wins a 34-30 shootout with the not 40 Randy but balance.

I want to say Houston beats KC with Holmes questionable, but KC's revised D will make David Carr's life miserable. Won't need a ton of offense, KC by a TD.

Indy kicks Jacksonville's asses in the dome.

Pats got back on track last week, this week they force lots of more turnovers and spank the Jets at home for once.

How good is New Orleans? Or Tennessee? Who knows but the Titans are pissed off and at home. The Saints go marching to a beating.

Arizona will actually draw 50,000 at home. 49,950 will be Cheeseheads, and the Pack roll 34-13.

St. Louis at Seattle: Interesting matchup. The Seahawks have their first litmus test of the season. They'll hold up just fine at home and "upset" the Rams in a wild one.

Giants lose to Redskins on the road. Last week's loss has to be eating at them.

Ravens edge Chargers on the road. Jury's out on Ravens, but Chargers are clueless.

Cleveland at 49ers: Please. Clowns get their ballons popped early, 35-10.

Miami puts it together and knock off Buffalo at home. The Fish are desparate, and it'll show.

Broncos over Raiders at home on MNF.

15. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    i agree it's more fair than the current OT rules and that both teams should have a chance with the ball that's why i think the college rules are the best to decide OT games and if not i think your suggestion is also fine consider both teams have a chance with the ball

16. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    This is so true also. Gonna be fun to watch. Was going to try to get out there, but not enough time now.

17. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    As for the NFL overtime. I would like to see a first team to six points. So a field goal doesn't win the game. But if you score a touchdown, game over.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    A part of me says, how about we have the team that kicks off play defense? There's nothing in the rule book that says the team that gets the ball first must score.

Then the other part of me says the first-to-6 may not be such a bad idea.

But then, I think, the current format's fine. It's fair and simple.

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: OT

Pretty good article, with my man Carl Peterson involved...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-suddendeathisittoosudden&prov=knight&type=lgns

Ironically I had no clue about this proposal yet came up with the same format. The Chiefs should just hire me now. :D

As for the onside kick senario, I thought of it as well. Put very simply, the first time the kicking team possess the ball the game is sudden death. If anyone can think of a secario that doesn't cover let me know, and its fair giving both teams a chance.

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    WHAT A FREAKING DRIVE BY THE BROWNS! Wow!

I had thought they were taking too much time in their own half of the field but I guess not. They need to hold on in the last :29 though.

Didn't really see the early games, but I'm glad the Pats won, 2-0 when the opponents don't have their playbook.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    how many mother *#*#*#*#*#*#ing games does martz have to cost us before the RAMS shoot his retard ass out of a cannon?!?!?!?!?!?!? [​IMG]

ummm lets see.... up 6 points on the road, 3rd and 3, already in field goal range to put the game away... what does he do? he calls a pass... the result? interception - seattle drive for the winning score, win by a point - WTF is this guy on?... and give me two hits!!!

gee i wish I could get paid 7 figures a year to be a complete freakin' waste of oxygen!!!!

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I thought he should have been fired for leacing Warner in the season opener. He sucks and thinks he's Vince Lombardi.

23. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am officially giving up on the Chargers this year.

Schottenheimer and his staff have run this team into the ground.

24. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Watching PrimeTime, I find out both Ted Washington and David Patten will be out for a while. Time to start looking at the waiver wire. 3 games into the season and they're completely beat up. That's ok next week vs. the Skins but for the playoffs, doubt it.

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I wish I could have watch games today.

Power still out 3 days after the hurricane came through the DC area.