NFL - Week 13

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Waingro, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waingro

Waingro Member

Feb 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Get your picks in early. Two games tomorrow!

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Okay, gotta be quick since it's about to kick off (some spotty guy is singing the US anthem). This time last year I was in the states after just seeing GB lose to Tampa, in warm sunny Florida. Now in cold, windy Dublin I just got home from school seconds ago (a good 2 mile walk) and cannot feel my face.

Green has had some big days this season... today will be HUGE!! Favre will get some good yards, with the Lions being so horrible. Davenport and Fisher will get a total of over 100 yards, too. Green Bay by a LOT.

I see the Cowboys doing it again, as a team. And by out-defending the Dolphins. It'll be good, since I liek to watch big defensive games as well.

GREEN BAY and DALLAS to win. AND IT'S OFF!

3. Waingro

Waingro Member

Feb 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I'm a little late to the game today. Another Wednesday-before-Thanksgiving parties to remember...

Anyway, it's 13-7 Lions at halftime...

Still gotta go with the Pack to come back in this one. Favre hasn't looked too good and the Lions' D is playing their typical inspired game on Thanksgiving. And still it's only a 6 point game. Think Favre will be able to muster up just enough offense to win this one 24-23 in a thriller...

Miami and Dallas have a little history on Thanksgiving. Dallas crushed Miami the last time they played on T-Day when Jimmy Johnson coached his first game back in Dallas as Miami's coach. But the game most of you may remember was on Thanksgiving in 1993 (I think) when Miami went into Dallas and played in an unlikely snowstorm that blanketed the field in white for most of the game.
    Miami was down by one or two points late and was going for the winning field goal. Dallas blocked it and it seemed the game was over. Guys were hugging and some even headed to the locker room. But Leon Lett chased after the blocked kick, apparently thinking that it was a live ball or something, and tried to recover it inside his own 10 yard line. Predictably he couldn't get a handle on it, but by touching it he made the ball live again and this time Miami recovered it. Stoyanovich came out for another attempt, and when Dallas called timeout to ice him (as if that needed to be done on this day), it actually allowed him and his holder to clear the snow away from kicking spot (shades of the snow plow game in New England) and this time he was able to make the kick as the clock expired. I've heard that game called the "Lett it Be" game. Now THAT's funny.
    I'm sure we'll see that infamous play a couple times during today's game. Poor Leon Lett. Two of the most famous boneheaded plays ever were committed by him and both get replayed over and over as the years pass. Gotta love it...

As for my pick, well I guess it's Miami's turn.
    Don't know what freaky events will transpire, but I love how Ricky Williams has come alive in recent weeks and think he can continue it even against Dallas' tough defense. Miami wins in a slobberknocker...

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    This is not kneejerk, trust me: that Green Bay performance was without a doubt the WORST I have ever seen by any team. Ever. Poor discipline, nightmarish playcalling, average Favre game, no running game, no Sharper & Barnett = no defense, bad coverage, bad tackling, no penetration, poor returning (way to go Chatman, you cost us any chance of winning), poor punting and poor special teams coverage. All I can hope for out of this is that the Pack will get some motivation.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed completely, Billy. Hit the nail on the head there.

I caught a radio webcast (free, if you can imagine that) of one of my radio stations back home in California, and listened to the fourth quarter (I tuned in late over here as well). Unless I'm mistaken, did Brett Favre actually throw THREE picks in the final quarter?? Absolutely pathetic.

And to think I had a punt and bet money on the Packers. :mad:

But on the other hand, good on Detroit... god knows they haven't had much joy this year, and winning on Thanksgiving in front of a national TV audience is going to do a bit of good for their overall morale.

So here are the point-spread tips I have-- actually, the ones which I actually backed up with money at the local TAB Sportsbet here...

Green Bay -6.5 over Detroit (lost)
    Dallas -3.5 over Miami
    Minnesota +6.5 over St Louis
    New England +4.5 over Indianapolis

C'mon, baby... let's win the last three and make daddy a happy man. :D

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, did I pick some turkeys for the Thanksgiving games-- and with my own cash, too!

Anyone seen my shirt? Seems I lost it yesterday...

7. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    The other one is my favorite ever. The fat bastard is running back a fumbled ball and he thinks that he's in the clear. he slows down and starts celebrating only for Don Beebe to come out of nowhere and strip the ball from him. Classic. Bills still lost though.

8. Waingro

Waingro Member

Feb 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I've always loved that one, too. Both players' attitudes towards the game were summed up in that one play...

On to this weekend's picks:

Arizona over Chicago. A Train is out, and Kordell is still Kordell. A healthy Shipp should be able to run all over the Bears' defense, and don't think that Kordell can repeat last week's heroics.

Houston over Atlanta. A bit of reverse psychology since I need a big game out of now-full-time starter Duckett in my fantasy league. Atlanta's been playing teams tough, but can't seem to put them away. This time I think Houston gets the lead early and stays there.

Buffalo over NYG. Both offenses sputtering, but Buffalo's defense has been solid for most of the year. Taking the Bills in another ugly one.

Cincinnati over Pitt. Saw the Bengals in person last weekend. Their offense is big time, and their defense bends but doesn't break. I think they're going to win the North, and if they do it'll be because of winning games like this one in Pittsburgh.

St. Louis over Minnesota. Vikes got a reprieve when Green Bay couldn't take care of business in Detroit. Don't know if their defense can stop the Rams unless Bulger has another crappy game on his own. As poorly as they've played, the Vikings can still afford to lose this one and win their division. The Rams are more balanced and are playing at home, which should be the difference.

Indy over New England. Bellichick may gameplan his ass off against the Colts, but the Pats are still too one dimensional (no running game) for my liking and can/should be beaten by a better all around team on the road. Assuming Manning is 100%, taking the Colts.

Carolina over Philly. The Panthers play just well enough to win at home. Philly is hot right now, but think Carolina's D will come up big against McNabb. The Eagles can absorb this loss as it's clear that Dallas isn't going to hang around in the division race. Plus, the Eagles can be run on and Carolina can run it with anyone.

SF over Baltimore. Think the game by Anthony Wright last week was a fluke. If you saw the game or the highlights, Wright threw a lot of jump balls and Marcus Robinson just went up and got them.
    As a QB, he doesn't look any better than he did with Dallas a couple years ago. Meanwhile, Garcia gets his starting job back and think he's less likely to throw a pick against the tough Raven D than Rattay would have been. Garcia controls the ball and the clock, and Anthony Wright comes back to earth.

New Orleans over Washington. Again, think Hasslebeck's decent showing last Sunday night was kinda flukey. With all week to prepare for him, the advantage has to lie with the Saints this week. Still think New Orleans has an outside shot at a wild card. Either way, I think they win this one and the speculation over Spurrier's future in Washington gets turned up a notch.

Seattle over Cleveland. The Seahawks find the perfect defense to bounce back against. They can put last week's gut wrenching loss behind them with an authoritative victory. Alexander approaches 200!

Denver over Oakland. Two starts and two solid outings by Mirer. If he does it again I might start believing. But the Broncos come in angry after last week's improbable loss at home to the Bears.
    If Portis can get untracked early, it will open up the little dump offs for Plummer, which will in turn open up everything else. It's going to be a long day for the Raiduhs.

KC over SD. KC hasn't looked too good in recent weeks. But San Diego will have no answer for Holmes, and watch for Tony Gonzales to have a nice game, too. Even the most mediocre tight ends look like Kellen Winslow against these linebackers. And the good ones tend to have career days (see Shannon Sharpe's performance two weeks ago). KC in a rout.

Tampa Bay over Jacksonville. If Del Rio is talking about benching Leftwich then you know he's in trouble against the Bucs defense. Tampa Bay can still make the playoffs. They've got an easy schedule, and 9 wins could be enough if Dallas starts to stutter like I think they will. A potential wild card deciding game in New Orleans looms next week, but expect the Bucs to handle the Jags beforehand.

Tennessee vs. Jets. If McNair starts, I'm picking the Titans. If not, it could be too much for Volek to handle on the road on MNF, in New York no less. So, McNair = Titans win. No McNair = Titans lose. Either way, the important game is next week at home against the Colts. For that reason Fisher may decide to sit McNair as a precaution.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

what the hell were you thinking?!? have the wife give you a good slap

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bye bye Steelers. No post season.

They had that damned game won and their defense just completely choked.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That was unbelievable. They take the lead with 1:05 left. My neighbor knocks at the backdoor to return the shopvac and the carpet cleaner. I go up stairs and the Steelers have the ball back. So I think, good... then the score pops up.

A couple of yinzers on the call-in shows are extra pissed because of the numbers Kordell put up today, too. Probably the same ones that wanted him tarred and feathered a couple years back.

12. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Steelers pass defense sucks beyond belief. They give up so many freaking big plays that they have no ability to win close games anymore. They need two new corners, they better go out and get the best damn CB available in free agency and make that their number one draft pick. I'm so sick and tired of watching other teams convert 3rd and 10+ yards. Keep Polamalu only in the secondary, everybody else has to go. Teams just lick their chops and spread out the Steelers defense, keeping their strength -- the linebackers and D-Line off the field -- and forcing them to insert some of the suckiest players in the secondary I have ever seen.

And, for the love of God, mother f&*^&*(^%ng get a kicker who can kick the *&^(* ball into the end zone. Nice time to have a short kickoff, Mr Reed, you prick.

13. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

Trouble isn't even the word to describe. Whats a word worse then trouble?

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm slapping myself now! Although I'll invite her to join in when she gets home from work. :eek:

Honestly, I do make some dumb handicapping decisions, and that was one of them. Backing it up with my own cash, that was another one of them.

But at least I can claim money on New England. That worked out for me today.

15. Waingro

Waingro Member

Feb 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Chargers?

I hope we're both right about Leftwich, because if the Bucs win - or lose by 3 points or less - I'll hit my 6 team teaser!

Speaking of pointspreads, watching Doug Flutie drive the Chargers down the field with less than a minute left, then throw a "meaningless" 25 yard TD pass with no time left on the clock, was a thing of beauty. The score was 28-17 before the last-second TD. The line was Chiefs -7. I didn't have any money on the Bolts (I had the Chiefs on the tease so I was safe), so it wasn't nervewracking for me, but there are plenty of new additions to the I Love- or I Hate - Flutie clubs after today's game...

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gotta love the Steelers fans. They are not giving up yet. From a post at a Steelers fan site:

The Steelers can win the division at 8-8 if....

They win their last 4, 1 scenario in 16 (1/16)

Baltimore loses to Oak and Cle (as well as PGH) (1 scenario in 4) 1/4
    Cincy loses SF, StL and Cle (1 scenario in 8) 1/8

It matters not who wins the Balt/Cincy game. In this case Cincy or Balt (but not both) are 8-8 PGH has a better division record or head-to-head record vs Cincy, Balt or both.

Doing the math this is 1 scenario in 512. (1/512), or about 0.2% chance to win the division. Which also means a 99.8% chance of not.

This is the difference between being mathematically eliminated and still being in the "hunt"

17. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Man, Levante must be pissed after his Colts losing like that today.

18. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    The Chiefs just keep taking care of business. No predictions lately, work and personal life have taken a turn to the hectic.

I'm backing Levante next weekend. The Chiefs need the Colts and Titans to both get 3 losses. :) Go Colts!

19. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Man........that is an understatment :(

Good luck to your Jags...so far they look good.

20. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Thanks Ben.........it looks like K.C. will have home field wrapped up before Chicago visits.

Man........The Patriots have had our number over the years. I hope we see them again in the playoffs though. Hopefully we won't get outcoached next time.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    well the RAMS beat the fiery piss out of the vikings 48-17 with a 31-0 second half - good to get back to blowing teams out

oh and for those who laughed at me in a few weeks ago when i put forth the idea that leonard little was the top DE in the NFL this season... he came back from a month out yesterday to get 4 sacks and force two fumbles on culpepper - LL could miss four games and stil lead the league in both categories (he has 12 sacks, 1 off the lead and is tied for the lead in FF)

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did I hear the highlight narrator correctly that the Colts had NINE plays inside the 20 before getting snuffed out by that goal-line stand? Man, that's bad (not mocking, just noting: please refer to the Steelers' performance if you want to see another bad way to lose an NFL game)

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    News flash! This just in! The Vikings O-line isn't all that good. LL is a good DE, no one said he wasn't. What many people did say was that there are plenty of DEs in the NFL that are as good or better than him. One game, one month, or even one season does not make a player the best. Need you be reminded of those who said Kurt Warner would become one of the best QBs of all time???

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

NEWSFLASH:

i didn't say he was the best... i said this season - so how does one season not make somebody the best for that season? and as for the vikes O-line, it doesn't change the fact that culpepper ain't easy to catch and drop - before the RAMS got him 8 times, the vikings had allowed 28 sacks in 12 games or 2.3/game - little got DC 4 times so it's not simply business as usual for the O-line - oh and strahan got DC twice when they played the giants

25. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Everything clicked last night. Everything. Add Larry Fitzgerald to the mix, and I'm a happy guy.