NFL Ripping off Donavan Fan Reaction?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by patricksp, Jan 9, 2011.

1. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you be the Judge.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8CaSIiQ_Y"]YouTube - NFL PLAYOFF COMMERCIAL 2011 SAINTS[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w"]YouTube - The World's Reaction to Landon Donovan's Game Winning Goal[/ame]

2. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    blatant...

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    As if. . . . .

4. LOSTT

LOSTT Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    yeah...but which one gives you the chills every single time you watch it??:cool:

5. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool NFL commercial. :D

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I bet the French are preparing to sue every filmmaker in the US who has blatantly ripped off the montage style of filmmaking.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all realize that the Super Bowl happened before the World Cup, yes?

8. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but the NFL commercial didn't appear until a few weeks ago. Landon's goal has been around for awhile and was featured alot on sports shows. I mentioned this to my girl that they were stealing it. I'm glad other people noticed it.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Be afraid , be very afraid.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a commercial to promote the playoffs. They generally don't show commercials to promote the playoffs in August.
    The Saints' Super Bowl win has been around for a while longer and was featured on a lot of sports shows.
    So when Saints fans made fan reaction Youtube vids in February, they were stealing from the soccer fans of the future?

11. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You missed the whole point. It is not that fans have reaction videos out there but that the NFL packaged them up EXACTLY like the soccer videos.

Blatant rip off? You bet. How can it not be? It is the same format of spontaneous reactions by fans. The NFL has been in business for what? 50 years? You would have us believe that the NFL just happened to stumble upon this format a few months after US Soccer and didn't know about it.

Right after a World Cup. HA!

Try again.

Now, if the NFL had this commercial finished before June you would have an argument. But it is a total rip off if not.

Not that I really care. I am sure the NFL is more than happy to pretend they came up with the format since, after all, it was just something watched by those soccer dorks on the internet and not mainstream. Therefore, the idea is "fresh".

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, it was quite clever of soccer fans 7 months ago to invent the concept of a video montage.

13. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    Just curious, but can someone come up with a video that has been around before the Algeria celebration goal \ montage format showing fans celebrating from home, bars, etc in the style of that video?

If someone can, then it is not a rip-off. If you can't, then it is.

14. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are we supposed to be mad? This kind of thing happens all the time. I hear they call it marketing.

15. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont see what the problem is here.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, any time networks do live look-ins during major sporting events, including troops overseas. In fact, I remember live Bourbon Street shots during and immediately after the Super Bowl. Not to mention the local news post-game coverage that regularly includes celebration shots from the local watering hole.

17. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
  18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted January 26, 2010

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTykWAH9Clc"]YouTube - Saints Fans Reactions to Game Winning Kick Against the Vikings to get to the Superbowl[/ame]

19. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Saints fan I would have to say I appreciate the NFL showing the passion we have for our team and city. I was at work when we beat the Vikings to go the SB and I took off running down the street for a good block in a half before I realized I was still working. You could here the whole city erupt. It was complete madness. The intereception in the SB was about 10x more. I walked outside and my whole neighborhood sounded like a stadium. It was truely magical. The goal Donovan had was amazing, but in New Orleans it wasn't anywhere near Tracy Porter's pick six.

So, some people might say it's the NFL stealing Donovan's thunder. But here in New Orleans we appreciate every second of it.

20. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
  21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    SO lame, whens the last time you saw a football fan crying in the stands after a touch down?

Remember that dude crying during the Slovenia game I think?

22. Kam^

Kam^ Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Clutch City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Liechtenstein
    I'm sure people in New Orleans were crying. They were losers for a long time. A real long time. 35 plus years is a long time.

I'm pretty scared that my local NFL team will have the same thing happen to them.

23. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Haha and that wasnt even us winning a 'superbowl'/world cup, thats just barely making sure we had a chance to maybe make it to the next round. :p

Imagine if USA won the WC? EVERY soccer fan would cry hahahaha.

24. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's different, only have a chance to win it once every 4 years.

In NFL there is the draft and the next season to look forward to.

25. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sincerest form of flattery