Next Year's Roster

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by BVgolski07, Oct 1, 2007.

1. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would you like to see the starting XI next year? What players do you think we should release, what trades should be made, and could/should we sign another big name player?

Here's the way I see it as far as a starting XI:

Robison-----Conde-----Segares

Mapp----Menenzes---Armas----Rolfe

-----------Blanco-------
    ------Barrett---?---------

I think Barrett shows alot of promise with his speed and some nice passing in the last few games. Wanchope will not cut it unless he drastically improves. So I'd say another good forward should be the main priority. I think Blanco's celebrity may alow us to attract another big name Mexican. By losing CJ Brown, the Curtins, and possible Armas we should have some spending money.

People I think should def be kept are Barrett, Pause, Soumare, Franks, and all our internationals (besides Wanchope).

2. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If we're talking about next year, Rolfe absolutely needs to go back to forward.

3. salparadisejr

salparadisejr Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Hollywood, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------Pickens--------------
    Robinson------Conde-------Segares
    -------------S. Joseph-------------
    --F. Arce------Pause-----Guerrero--
    ---------------Blanco--------------
    ----Rolfe---------------Wanchope--

Manager: C. Osorio

Retired: Armas, Brown
    Traded: Mapp+Barrett for Joseph and draft picks
    Acquired: Arce from Mexico's Morelia by MLS' decision to grant 2 dp's for each team.

Guess which cup we'll be drinking out of come November 2008...

4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If you can figure out a way to drink out of this, I'll be impressed:
    [​IMG]

5. salparadisejr

salparadisejr Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Hollywood, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we have a few holes in our roster that will have to be filled from outside and we have no idea how Osorio will fill them, it's kind useless to say what our roster will be next year. It's easier just to say that we need to sign at least two and preferably three forwards, a right-sided middie, a back-up central attacking midfielder to cover for when Blanco get hurt/too tired, a right back, and another central defender to pair with Conde. This assumes that Brown and Armas retire. If Gutierrez also retires, we'll need another d-mid to serve as Pause's backup.

7. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a few things you should change:

First, Armas is retiring at the end of the year. Unless he changes his mind that is, so in his position I would put Soumare, and switch Menezes for(I can't believe I'm saying this) Logan Pause.

Secondly put Mapp out left(left-footed) and Rolfe up top, maybe put Menezes(or off-season aquisition) out wide right.

Besides that I agree with you, and prepare to get blasted for complimenting Barrett's play. Lots of people here hate his guts. I like him and hope the sparks of brilliance become a little more consistent, and I think he needs to work on his stamina.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That isn't a decision that should be up to him

9. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole Armas seems pretty un-settled at this point. Will CJ brown be gone for sure? and who else is likely to retire/get traded. It'd be great if we could pick up some more talent with money being used on old legs. I think Osorio's connections have worked pretty well for us so far although I'm not big on wanchope so far. I think we should pick up some young englishmen not gettin any clock in the championship.

10. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm sorry.....CJ's play this year has left me fairly convinced he is still a viable defender in this league. I just don't understand people saying he's got to go.

11. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have to say i haven't seen him done anything particularly bad i've just heard that he was retiring. and isn't he like 36? Personally I'd love to see Armas stay although seem to not like him much either. What do you think the chances of gettin another good mexican would be with blanco on our squad?

12. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    where there's a will, there's a chainsaw.

13. kornkid15

kornkid15 Member

Mar 16, 2007
    chi-city
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If by keep you mean to shoot or hang, Floyd is that guy. Unless its a reserve game, he can't do jack sh!t. Mike Banner is very raw still but i think JCO can mold him into a good one. He showed a lot of hustle and hunger in Columbus when the Fire were there and the next game if i remember correctly.

As for getting a young Mexican player, Juan Carlos Mosqueda (mid) is a good up and comer but the thing with him is that America is molding him so stealing him and bringing him over here won't happen i reckon.

14. Definite keepers:
    Blanco, Rolfe, Mapp, Soumare, Conde, Guerrero, Segares, Robinson, Pause, Both goalies
    Too old to start, but worth having around for the right price: Armas, Gutierrez, Brown, Wanchope, but only if he shows something the rest of the way.
    Young enough to warrant more time: Carr
    Don't know, so maybe they go: Menezces, Plotkin, both Curtins, Banner
    I've seen enough to know they'll never be any good: Barrett, Franks
    If the league adds a second DP and ups the roster size and salary cap, I'd like to see two forwards, two mids, and a defender, and a good young keeper would be nice.
    With expansion coming almost each year, we need a bigger roster for all the games they play now and to develop talent for the future.

15. Thebizkit

Thebizkit New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    ----- Pickens -----
    -----Conde ----- Segares----- ----- Robinson -----

-----Mapp -----Soumadre----- -----Pause----- -----DP/Draftpick-----

----- Blanco----

-----Rolfe----- -----Barrett

1. Pause has looked great in the stretch run, hes earned a spot on this team next year.

2. You got to give Soumare some extended playing time next year, make sure you drafted someone who you can count on in the future.

3. Rolfe is very talented and can play in the mid, but if the Fire dont find another decent Forward your going to have to play Rolfe up top.

4. DP/Draft pick= Probably the biggest move of the offseason, whoever the GM will bring in as a DP and draft will play the deciding role on if we win the Cup next year or not. The Fire dont need to draft a superstar but the will need to draft SPEED big time, if the Fire can come out of next years draft with a player similar to Dane Richards then I like our chances. We are probably going to be able to sign another DP and this is where our GM will need to make a smart choice, forget pandering to the Mexican or Polish fan base, sign the best player available.

16. crunch-o-matic

Aug 7, 2007
    Normal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plotkin, Carr, Soumare, Franks, Armas and Wanchope all need to walk.

Carr is worthless, he can't do anything. He has no control, his first touch is awful even when he should only be using one touch, he isn't tall enough to be usefull in a corner kick or set piece, he drives into the box and then waits for defenders to surround him and his crosses (the few that he has) and shots on goal are so horribly overpowered and off target that you just have to wonder what in the hell is wrong with him.

Jim Curtin needs to come back from injury so Conde can move into a defensive mid position moving Pause further up the field.

Buy 2 strikers. TALL ONES. Buy 2 defenders. TALL ONES.

17. DisgruntledFireFan

Sep 30, 2007
    Soumare will be back next year. Top end draft picks usually stay around for more then a season.

18. chitownfire

chitownfire New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey someone said what i've been thinking this WHOOOOLE season. If it wasn't for his speed Carr would be utterly worthless. But then again, what's speed if you don't have anything else...I completely agree with the assessment stated above.

19. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont see this happening... Osorio stated when he arrived that Mapp and Rolfe were the franchise players of the Fire... im sure they'll be around for some time, unless they go to europe... at the moment i dont see that happening

20. Rulas

Rulas BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    oh man arce on the fire would be sick. does he even have a long contract with morelia? maybe we will see a trend in some good mexican players coming to the mls for a better paycheck.