Next weeks lineup??

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by 655321, Aug 18, 2002.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Dudek

Xavier/Hyypia/Henchoz/Carragher (assuming Babbel can't play)

Smicer/Gerrard/Hamman/Riise

Owen/Diouf

subs
    Litmanen (if healthy)
    Heskey
    Berger
    Traore
    Kirkland

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    D'oh, I forgot Murphy...

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would expect to see Cheryou at least on the bench, if not playing, very soon.

4. LFC Lineup: 8/24/02

Well, it’s early in the year, we’re at Anfield, and Southampton aren’t likely to be our most serious threat this season—so this is probably the best time to plug my “fantasy 4-3-1-2" lineup:

Dudek

Xavier Hyypia Henchoz Riise

Murphy Gerrard Hamman

Diouf

Heskey Owen

Subs:
    Kirkland
    Cheyrou
    Baros
    Traore
    Carragher

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Just got word that Didi had to pull out of the German squad. He suffered a knee injury on Sunday and may not play against Southampton.

If he can't make it, I'll look for the same lineup as last week, but with Diao in his spot. If he can, I think we may see a 4-3-3, with Heskey, Owen & Diouf up front, Gerrard on the right, Didi in the center, and JAR on the left.

Dave

6. Last night SSN reported that Didi would sit out today, but likely be ready for Southampton on Saturday.

And now this, from http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N136215020821-1519.htm
    (21 August 2002 by Paul Eaton )

"Dietmar Hamann is winning his race for fitness ahead of this weekend's clash with Southampton at Anfield. Southampton at Anfield.

Hamann was forced to pull out of Germany's friendly international this week after twisting his knee at Aston Villa, but following intensive treatment at Melwood he is set to be available for the weekend clash with the Saints.

Gerard Houllier will be hoping that his international stars who are on duty for their countries tonight don't report back with any injury problems tomorrow afternoon."

Let’s hope for the best . . .

It appears that all of our other Internationals made it through the day uninjured—can anyone verify that?

7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: LFC Lineup: 8/24/02

I know it's at home, but does a certain 3-3 draw at the Dell ring a bell? Soton is one of those teams that can surprise people occasionally, or get trounced 7-1. I don't think anyone thought that Bolton would be a real threat last season either. Take no opponent lightly. We SHOULD beat them handily, but they aren't just going to lie down for us.

8. Re: Re: LFC Lineup: 8/24/02

LiverpoolFanatic:

Agreed. A victory over So’ton is not a “sure thing,” and I didn’t mean to imply that it was.

Still, I would rather try a new, slightly different lineup (one that I think has great potential for us) now, at home, against this opponent—rather than, say, December 29 at Arsenal.

9. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Hell, why think back two years ago. Last year we could only manage one point from the two matches (remember JAR's OG?)

Dave

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Strachan has the Saints playing much better than a couple of seasons ago.

This is certainly not a foregone conclusion.

Things in our favour, is that it is the opening home match and I am hoping the crowd is revved up.

Owen is due a goal and will get one! I guarantee it. Often after matches where he has missed chances he comes back with a vengeance. I predict we will win, but a close fought win, 1 or 2 nil.