Next week (if you need an R you're not a fan)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MikeLastort2, Oct 31, 2004.

1. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you just put the words concentrate and work in the same sentence as it relates to United in the Eastern Finals? I didn't think so!

My definition of work this week:

work - A place I will go for 8 hours Monday through Friday to smack talk the Revs, get hyped with my fellow United fans, and plan more banners for RFK!

Revs, gets ready to get thrown down the well with the Metroscum!

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Dukie myself (from the Sonny Jurgensen days) I would love to see that annoying Jay Heaps steamrolled Saturday night. Since Dema won't be able to do it, I guess it will fall to Mike Petke to make Heaps wish he had stuck to basketball.

Of course, had the Crew won, I would have said the same thing about that super-annoying Frankie Hejduk.

3. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Another shot for me, who was at College Park enjoying Maryland's upset win over Florida State.

I plan to bring my wife and nephew Joseph. This is going to be outstanding!

4. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I am SO pissed I can't go. @*#$^@!~!!

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a song to celebrate RFK, our team, and our record.

To the tune of the chorus of "Our House" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young:

Our house is a very, very very nice house,
    Games used to be so hard,
    Then we whipped the Metrotards,
    Now everything is easy.

6. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I see a red door and I want it painted bla..aa..a..ack
    No colors anymore I want them to turn bla..aa..a..ack
    I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
    I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Hmm, hmm, hmm,...

[​IMG]

7. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Dammit Jessica!!! Not only did you spill paint on my carpet....I also LET you clean it up! Now you are going to Cali without me??? I feel cheapened somehow.... :(

:D You go girlfriend!! Bring back the cup.....otherwise, you'll have to make Susan clean my house! :eek: :D

Vicky

8. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Not to mention furthering our domination over them in Cup play to 3-0. ;)

9. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I thought that was implied... ;)

10. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    In the Bruce years I just had a feeling of destiny ... I expected to win because it was quite clear that the players were capable of winning and expected to win every game. I cannot put my finger on it, but this team has that same ever-present confidence and expectancy. I like our chances.

New England is the most thuggish team in MLS by far IMHO. I dislike their lack of flair and constant brutality. A team with Heaps, Pierce, Franchino, Joseph, etc. really shouldn't be in MLS Cup. It's up to us, the 12th man, to carry our team to the promised land. Promised ... as in 'our stadium is promised to be this good so we'd better get used ot it' land. If/When we get one, it'll have one major difference from the HDC ... it'll need a larger trophy room.

Twellman, Noonan, Dorman, etc. can put a bulge in the ole onion bag. Header's are a real weakness against the Revs because these guys have the quickness to create separation from a defender and reach headers, particularly at the near post. While Ezra is dominant in the air, I don't think he has the quickness to keep up with the danger men of the Revolution, so I think Prideaux would be the better option ... but we'll miss Nelsen.

If we go through to the finals we should be ok. I think the Wizards are overrated and we're playing better soccer than they are. We'll also probably have at least as strong a crowd as the Wizards in LA. The Galaxy are a different story, deadly scorer in Ruiz, plus a lot of talented players, and playing at home, that will be tough. But, I have faith in Samson messing it up, so I like our chances against them too.

Vamos United!

-Digital

11. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revenge for 4-2?? Are you kidding?

I'd gladly have us lose every midseason game to the Galaxy for the rest of the millenium so long as we win the only DCU-LA matches that matter. MLS Cups.

OT, but this reminds me a little of the Mexico side whining about 'Revancha en la Cancha' as if a win in a meaningless friendly (that they didn't get ANYWAY!) could actually be considered revenge for the US bouncing them out of the World Cup.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I was talking to Jan last night when we watched the New England v Crew game, and said the same thing, that this team just feels like we're going to win. Used to be in the Bruce years (at least in '97 and '98) that when we went to RFK we had a foregone conclusion that we were going to win. I feel the same way now with Nowak at the helm.

Man, just thinking about this gets me all emotional.

I'm a little verklempt.

[​IMG]

13. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    outta the sack.

14. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Looks as though Greenbill and my prayers were answered!!!!
    I've never screamed for New ENgland, but last night I sure did.

I predicted a 2-1 win for DC in LA against LA back in June and it looks as though that dream is taking shape.
    One set of 90 minutes at a time though..... :D

15. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah this team has really come together. I like our chances for advancing and winning our 4th Cup. As for California... well it'll be good to go back home to the Golden State to bring back THE CUP back to DC!

16. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    Well it looks like maybe I won't be able to go after all. My work is hassleing me about taking Monday off. What really p!sses me off about that is we're all being laid off in December, at Christmas time. Trying to make me feel guilty about taking time off for MLS Cup is incredible. :mad:

17. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    this is my last season in DC as i'm moving (back) to CT in Dec

been here since 96 and lived through all the ups and all the downs

but as a going away present this is just GREAT

thank you DCU and than you Coach for making my last season (as a home fan) a season to remember

UP UNITED!!

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guilt is for the weak.
    Joke them if they can't take a ******** :)
    What're they gonna do, fire you? You earn vacation, you are legally allowed to take it, screw your boss. Hey, that may be another way for you to get him to allow you to leave :) heehee

This Saturday may rock even more than last Saturday, especially if we score early !!!!!! I hope they left a banner or two up :)

19. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shall be missed. And be thankful you won't ever have to experience RFK as a dual purpose stadium!

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    You are going to be coming to games through the year, I hope!!!

Don't make me come up to CT to drag your ass back to RFK.

21. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    can't promise anything, all decisions will have to be approved by my new coach (getting married in June) :)

in all seriousness, don't worry, DCU will remain a priority and i'll be looking forward to coming back to DC for games as much as i can (not to mention all the away games at NE and NJ)

22. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    marek, we're going to miss you!

It has been a nice send off for you so far, lets hope it continues in LA.

23. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, they're giving you a hard time because you'll take a day off when they're letting you 'pursue other opportunities' in a month?

Screw them. Sideways.

It's unbelievable what companies think they can do to their employees.

24. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear that. You'll be missed. Hope you can make it down quite a few times next season!
    I think a few people will be catching the redeye back on Sunday night in time to go to work on Monday. Would that work for you if you absolutely can't take off?

25. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    It's a she.
    I think we've worked something out though. Can't wait for California!