Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Didn't watch much Montreal but what little I watched convinced me Nancy was the real deal; not surprised the guy who ran the front office at Toronto in its ascendancy, Tim Bezbatchenko, picked Nancy to manage Columbus. (See last graf below for drawbacks)

Vieira seems to coach teams to a certain level, the team seems to play competently enough, but it gets stuck in second gear. When Deila came in at NYCFC, he made incremental, steady changes that ended in one of the better teams we've seen in MLS and got the most out of guys like their Argentine striker who was subsequently sold to LaLiga and had been foundering in MLS. Deila is familiar with concacaf play which is a bonus. Disclaimer: Deila was born in the same town as my Mom, Danielle. April's fool. The USMNT gig might suit Deila's family issues (the reason he left MLS for Europe and because...covid) since he'll have more time from the grind, plus we really want to spend time in Europe with our first team.

My list at the moment, in no particular order, Materazzo, Deila, Hugo Perez.

For me the criteria has to do with being familiar with Euroleague play so we can beat a top 8 team in R16 with the right tactics. Top 8 teams will have their players at top teams in Europe even if they are SouthAmerican nationality. That's why I prefer Hugo as an asst in case we hire a European without concacaf experience.

Boysinblue and Yowza repped this.
  2. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather have Berhalter back then Hugo Perez. I don't see that as a step up in any way shape or form and by all accounts the players liked playing for Gregg.

Marko72 repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another potential option

4. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I really think Berhalter had some major flaws last cycle, and I voiced them regularly. But provided I thought the Fed made a credible search, I’d be ok with Gregg. There are planes in the multiverse where’s he’s the best available option.

Boysinblue and gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I’m sort of in the place that Berhalter could be an option depending on who the alternatives are.

But USSF should very much canvass those options and figure out who those alternatives are.

Winoman and Reccossu repped this.
  6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

It ain’t just Central America. It’s everyone.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still all in on Dolo as one of my top 4 choices. Calm, no-nonsense, and correctly and succintly described a dreadful performance last night where they still got a point at Colorado.

deejay and edcrocker repped this.
  10. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Im all in just about anyone but one at this point. I see the one as affirmatively limiting the potential of this maturing, increasingly creative squad.

11. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK

My biggest issue with Dolo is his very limited Head Coaching experience.

He's coached a total of 79 games as a head coach and wasn't a head coach until 2021.

Interesting though, Jurgen had only coached 78 games as a HC before being hired as the US coach.

Bradley had coached roughly 300 games professionally as a HC
    Gregg had coached roughly 250 games professionally
    Arena roughly 130 games professionally

I'm not counting college coaching.

Winoman, Bajoro, gomichigan24 and 6 others repped this.
  12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A more than reasonable take that i can't argue against. If you are looking for a manager with years of experience than Dolo is not your candidate.

On the other hand Scaloni just won the WC with Argentina and that was his first head coach job.

russ, Winoman, edcrocker and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    True on Scaloni and pretty crazy.

I'm not against Dolo by any means, but it's just something I wish he had a year or 2 more of experience.

gomichigan24 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  14. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe by the time USSF gets their ducks in a row he WILL have another year of experience...and the longer it takes to name a GM, the more I'm inclined to believe they'll hire Cherundolo.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the three recently fired EPL coaches (Vieira, Potter, and Rodgers), Vieira seems like the most plausible candidate but I’d reach out to all three.

russ, Winoman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    LOL too true. It might be late 2024 at this rate :)

Winoman repped this.
  18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad USSF doesn’t know it’s rear end from a hole in the ground. If they had a GM/Sporting Director in place, that person would be able to give Graham Potter a call. I actually think he’d listen given the ringer he just went through at Chelsea and his history working with younger players at Brighton.

But since USSF is run just as poorly as Chelsea, here we are.

largegarlic repped this.
  19. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

The point I was trying to make was that a 1-0 win at home over El Salvador in the Nations League and a 1-0 win at home over El Salvador in WCQ should not be counted as equal results.

superdave and tomásbernal repped this.
  20. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    1. About Chelsea, a French proverb says “plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose”.
    More players you bring, more problem you create.
    2. About USNMT coach: Everyone is OK if it is NOT Gregg Berhalter. The guy has psych problem — a typical passive-agressive behavior. The way he called rosters, presented starting lineup, managed sub pattern, just as tools to piss fans and players off.
    Even his own players he managed to piss them off big time.
    For example, even most anti-3G fans would not object for Pepi, Steffens, Arriola etc to WC.

dspence2311 repped this.
  21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm hoping that the recently fired guys might still be around until the end of the club season in May. If the Fed was supposedly already doing 2nd round interviews for the technical director a week or two ago, maybe we can hope for a hire to be made in April and have a TD in place before the coaching carousel picks up after the club season ends.

But it's probably unwise to hope for decisive action from the USSF.

tomásbernal and RefIADad repped this.
  22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just hoping--with fingers crossed--that Sportsology has their shit together and is empowered to make those contacts, and said empowerment is conveyed to any of the potential candidates they are talking to. Time will tell.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Potter canned as soon as Nagelsman becomes available. (Disclaimer: I saw report Nagelsman intends to go into meditation period to figure out what went wrong at Bayern before taking next gig.) Surprised Potter was canned just before UCL quarterfinals, though. Same has been said for Nagelsman.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that EPL clubs are conspiring to offer up a whole bunch of options that some BS USMNT fans would love to have.

Kirium repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Looks like Cindy was right to hold up on the permanent hire. Lotsa options coming up.

B.t.w. - Gracia who took over from Marsch at Leeds is looking pretty good. My understanding is that there is no committment from either Leeds or Gracia past the last game of the 22/23 season.

Let's see how it goes - there's 10 games left for Leeds.

tomásbernal repped this.