Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

1. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who’s on the short list? If it has to be an American (there are some in USSF that think that way), I’d feel like you have to give Jesse Marsch a call. Doubt he’d make the move, though. Tab Ramos? Hugo Perez has done a good job with El Salvador, in my opinion. Who else?

And I’d we were to expand our horizons, who is a reasonable option that might be open and would consider the job.

After the Berhalter experiment, I really think we need a coach that can be flexible with style of play (our pool will have holes for the foreseeable future) and has the tactical flexibility to make in-game adjustments.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Marsch, Curtin, Cherundolo, foreign options (possibly including Van Gaal, I have a sneaking suspicion)...

I can't be the only one who thinks that Van Gaal might fancy this job and we him, right?

CTS26, juveeer, acima and 7 others repped this.
  4. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot Curtin. Would be a solid choice. And I hadn’t even considered the Mayor of Hannover. One of the most underrated players in US history.

CTS26, olephill2, jeffmefun and 2 others repped this.
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And a smart one, too. His managerial career has gotten off to an excellent start after several years of a Bundesliga apprenticeship. I might even be inclined to name him as front runner if Marsch is reticent, though I think that one season in USL and one season in MLS is kind of light for a national team manager resume.

Burr, RalleeMonkey and nbarbour repped this.
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Somebody tell me that Van Gaal's too old. Because I'm thinking right now that he might want this to be his last job before retirement. Relocate to the US. Keep his scouting network in Europe. Manage one big tournament with a talented group of still young-ish guys that he can somewhat mold in a tournament that we host? Not have to worry about the pesky English or German or Dutch press. His contact at USSF would be a Dutch guy. It makes some sense, right?

7. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who wants the job is urged to avoid hotel kitchens for the foreseeable future.

Agenbite repped this.
  8. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Wagner may be worth a call, but his team is in first right now.

FTGOTC, adam tash, neems and 3 others repped this.
  9. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really have a hard time believing a non-American would be considered. The 2026 WC is a massive branding event for soccer in this country, and I think it’d be odd to have a foreign manager.
    Anyway, it’s tough to know who actually wants it.
    LD?

GreedyG, bbbmmmlll and Guinho repped this.
  10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    LD's still too green. He needs to wait until he has a track record of success at MLS level, at least. Cherundolo has that (though we're only talking about a season). Curtin has that. Marsch has that and then some. Wagner (just mentioned) has that. Matarazzo hasn't exactly been hugely successful, but he's at least reached a level that we'd ideally like and hung around for a few seasons.

nbarbour and usfootball20 repped this.
  11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not ready, USL not a real league. Would be a great assistant with Marsch or Dolo.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I've heard somewhere that he's not really interested in the US job at all. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but if he had any interest then I can't imagine him passing because of his job at Young Boys. Not exactly the same as Marsch perhaps saying "no thanks" to hold on to his job at Leeds Utd.

13. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD comment was meant to be a bit cheeky haha

Agenbite repped this.
  14. fishmonger

fishmonger Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They will go with someone they know, maybe someone like Ramos. Who we will all complain about, because its what we do, and because it won't produce stellar results. Where's Richie Williams these days? Now there's a guy who wasn't afraid to kick shins....

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    y’all remember the good ol’ days when Marcelo Biesla was coach?

Me neither.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Is that really who we want? Really?

Grumpy in LA, FTGOTC, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Too old.

Boysinblue, neems and Agenbite repped this.
  18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Fair enough.

19. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bora's still alive.

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Fair enough. I don't doubt that he might have himself a good managerial career if he remains focused on it. I don't know how badly he really wants to succeed at managing a club.

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Under no circumstances should it be an MLS coach.

Centennial and LetsGoPeay repped this.
  22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's simply stupid. Are you trying to tell me that Cherundolo doesn't understand how the game is played at the next level? Really?!

CTS26, The Irish Rover, shelbo and 7 others repped this.
  23. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    Well you'd think they'd want the USA to do well right? If so, they may have to find an international.

What about Roberto Martinez?

CTS26, FTGOTC, Cristobal and 2 others repped this.
  24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No, thanks.

25. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    I don't know who it will end up being, but I would guess if there's ever been a time that a highly rated international manager would be interested in the US job it would be now.

1. you know you're already in the WC for 2026
    2. you know there's quite a bit of young talent and a very solid nucleus
    3. you could be "the" guy that got the US to a level it's not achieved in the past

Again, no idea what will happen or who they'll go with. I feel unfortunately there's too much of a "good ole boys" club in the US Soccer offices so I just don't suspect it will be someone outside of the US borders. Marsch has recently seemed the compromise.

I would definitely prefer it to be someone who is a tactician and would use a #10 as I think, in my personal opinion, that may end up being the best spot to utilize some of the US talent.

juveeer, FTGOTC and superdave repped this.