Next coach ideas?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Nick22, Oct 2, 2023.

1. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've learned that whatever the window is for expecting Rapids news to drop, add 2-3 weeks to that. When I heard a few different Rapids podcasters say they expected to hear something the week of the 6th, I thought, "Well that settles it, we won't be hearing anything till December."

COMtnGuy, rapidsmarc and JasonMa repped this.
  2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what you hear about the Rapids everywhere, and everyone's embarrassed except the ownership of the team.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Process "is drawn out" because no one wants to sign the dotted line until the other HC opportunities are closed.

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Every time I read about another MLS club spending over a hundred million on training facilities I think it must getting harder to recruit a talented coach as well as players.

Added to this are all the other MLS head coaching positions that may look more appealing than the Rapids and it's hard for me to believe that a quality candidate would be interested in Commerce City as the place to be.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    And if I just keep validating my decision to NOT renew as a STM when I consider the above.

Also, I think this is the quietest off-season on this Rapids' message board I can remember. No conversation about players salaries, the coaching search, etc. Heck, not even speculation about what the new primary kit will look like (or maybe this doesn't happen till January?).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, bona fide offers to free agents have to be tendered by next Wednesday, and option decisions have to be made by December 1st. It looks like we won't have a coach hired for the former and unlikely by the latter.

Quinn 33 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

12. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it, I'm out

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a ******* joke! Absolutely ridiculous. Straight up garbage. I’m pissed. But sadly and even more infuriating, this club has done this to itself and Armas is the type of clown we can only attract. This is what we deserve when you have a club that has no interest in forward progress and is stuck in MLS 2.0 while most have moved to MLS 4.0.

Quinn 33, safcfan and JasonMa repped this.
  15. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    This screams “everyone else turned us down.”

COMtnGuy, Quinn 33, safcfan and 2 others repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Riccardo55, COMtnGuy, rapidsmarc and 4 others repped this.
  17. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    COMtnGuy, Quinn 33 and JasonMa repped this.
  18. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help but give him a chance. It's the least I can do.

rapidsmarc and Quinn 33 repped this.
  19. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sadly, until there is some sort of fundamental change in philosophy and wallet opening, he is probably the best we can hope to get short of lucking into an unknown and hitting the lottery. Who would want to come here right now?

Rapids will market this as a former MLS player (who more casual fans will have heard of) with EPL experience and for most of the non-hardcore Rapids fans, they will eat that stuff up.

m vann repped this.
  20. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Would’ve even taken Phil Neville over Armas. Man this is really scraping the bottom barrel here. Man.

Why is it so freaking hard to be a Rapids fan?

21. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof. Can’t believe Armas got a job. If you wanted to hire an ex Redbull, you could’ve at least waited a few days and gotten Lesesne. I’m not saying he’s great or anything but at least the possibility exists that he can become a real good coach. But Armas couldn’t out coach a pet rock.

22. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

24. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's difficult to put into words how disappointing this is. I had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about this coaching hire and the general direction of the club.

This hire is clearly not a signal the club is moving in a much needed fresh, new direction. This is a signal that no one else wanted the job and Armas was basically the only person desperate enough to take the gig. I said before that Armas has been mediocre to terrible every other place he's been. It's highly unlikely he's going to magically become a great coach at the Rapids, where he will have SIGNIFICANTLY fewer resources than any job he's had before.

I know you need to give a guy a chance to prove themselves, but the prognosis is pretty bad. I don't think we should expect the Rapids to make the playoffs next year. I'm not even sure they'll manage to win 5 games. I think winning back the RMC is also not gonna happen. I honestly think is an absolutely terrible coaching hire that is doomed to failure. It's going to result in the next 1-2 years getting flushed down the drain.

Right now there is absolutely no reason for me to believe the team will show any improvement from 2023...and we all know what a miserable experience 2023 was.

COMtnGuy, m vann, safcfan and 1 other person repped this.