Next coach ideas?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Nick22, Oct 2, 2023.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll tell you a name that could get bandied about (maybe not with the Rapids so much) depending on the situation in Israel - Robbie Keane. He’s had a hot start with Maccabi Tel Aviv. He and his assistant - Rory Delap - have fled to Greece. There is potential he doesn’t return to the club. Keane knows the league and its structure. He has decent experience as an assistant with Ireland and Leeds United. If he becomes available it wouldn’t surprise me to see someone in MLS swoop him up.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two pieces of news tonight. First, former Mexico Nat Efrain Juarex is linked to the role:

https://www.tudn.com/futbol/colorad...eccionado-mexicano-para-que-sea-su-entrenador

Juarez just recently started as an assistant at Club Brugge after being at Standard Liege as an assistant for a season. Before that he was an assistant at NYCFC for 3 seasons.

Also an Arsenal correspondent is warning Wilshere not to take the Rapids job due to fan discontent and a lack of support from ownership:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/10/...ld-urged-to-stay-amid-rumours-he-could-leave/

Stuart95 and rapidsmarc repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juarez was one of the worst Celtic signings in recent history so I won’t hold that against him. :D

He followed former NYCFC manager, Ronny Delia to Standard Liege and then Club Brugge. I’ve always been a big fan of Delia - thanks to my Celtic love. Through many Celtic fans hated him. Anyways…. tutelage under Delia is not a bad thing. Juarez actually excites me more than Wilshere. Club Brugge also has a fairly reputable and robust youth system in Club NXT and Juarez may had some sort of involvement in that from what I can gather

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  4. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Hearing there may be a Bradley available for coaching….

Another Toronto member….no coaching experience, but plenty of MLS experience (and on a terrible team that knows how to spend money poorly recently) - and probably available on the cheap. Sounds like a perfect fit for Padraig-ball!

AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

6. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be my approach, hire someone that the players understand. Not Sir Alex, but his grandkid, maybe. Our best coaches were Mooch, Smith, Pablo, Fraser. Hmmmmm. We should have dumped Padraig and kept Robin, eh?

R

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just joined his father's staff at Staback in Norway

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

TheWarmBurger and m vann repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Whoever it is will be a primer to the next 3-5 years to come. Hopefully they get it right, and whoever it is can hopefully bring success both because of and in spite of the front office

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chris Armas being a finalist shows this organization is still deeply unserious about being competitive

11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JFC that would be an awful hire. Seriously, that would be flushing the next 2-3 years down the toilet.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armas? Christ Almighty. I don’t even know what to say……

13. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the most damning case against Armas in everyone's view? I say this not to defend him, but having a terrible run at Toronto is hardly unique to him.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His decision making in the 2018 playoffs

(And yeah, TFC is a horrible organization, but 1 win in 11 as a new coach there is not all on the org)

15. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His only real coaching success is the result of getting handed the keys half-way through the season to a team Jesse Marsch built. Everything else about his coaching career is remarkably undistinguished. He has ranged from mediocre to a disaster everywhere he's been. He's not going to magically become a successful coach here with fewer resources than any other job he's had.

m vann, COMtnGuy and Bridgeman repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either Wilshere or Juarez is out (or possibly both), because Kah is in the final 4 list along with Little and Armas:

17. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was not public knowledge, but there was reportedly some else from continental Europe with youth development experience the Rapids were interviewing as well (this is third-hand info, so take it with a grain of salt). This candidate may have been ruled out as well. I will say all three of these are far more interesting than the names we have as of today.

If the finalist list really comprises of Armas, Little, Kah, and a Mystery Box...I'll take the box.

This is a complete disaster.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kah wouldn't be the disaster of the other two (I put Juarez in the same category as Kah). But none of them are the experienced coach we need to fix this spiraling club. With Kah/Juarez I'd feel like we might be able to get a Oscar Pareja level of success out of them. Armas and Little are bad Fraser/Pablo level at best, Hudson level bad is possible in a worst case.

None of these names shout "good Fraser" to me, which is what we need at minimum.

19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 Quinn 33, Nov 3, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
    At this point I really hope Jack Wilshere is still a candidate, and who we end up settling on.

Based on the names we've heard, I legitimately think our odds of player recruitment and having any shot at the playoffs is better with Wilshere than Little, Armas, or Kah, all three of whom I consider pretty poor candidates.

I'd rather roll the dice on a complete outsider than someone that just seems to be a slightly different version of Fraser.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pa-Modou Kah Is intriguing simply because his name has been bandied about with a few MLS vacancies in the past year or so. The interest from those clubs (which clubs I can’t remember off the top of my head) has reportedly stemmed from his strong work with young players. To me…. and this is me thinking out loud….. this screams of a cheap option and an already built-in excuse / scapegoat of “oh, we have young players blah blah blah” when results become the same shit, different day for the Rapids. I don’t know if Kah has the chops of being a 1st manager. I have no idea. Sad to say, I’d almost take a shit MLS retread like Armas over the unknown of Kah. Really none of the candidates even remotely wow me. But I shouldn’t be surprised. We are dealing with KSE.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  21. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insider picture of the Rapids coach search headquarters:

[​IMG]

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Victory Crossing’s new development.

23. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The problem isn’t that we go to the dollar store. It’s that when we get to the dollar store, the team complains that is still too expensive and we start looking for a cheaper bargain bin IN the dollar store.

COMtnGuy, Rod1916, TheWarmBurger and 2 others repped this.
  24. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Phil Neville to Portland. OK. Not sure what that does for them. And still nothing about where our coaching search stands at the moment.

25. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    No news yet is kind of surprising, but I know acknowledging it is a jinx.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.