Next Club World Championship To Be Played In Concacaf

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by sidspaceman, Oct 30, 2003.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Seeing as how pissed CONMEBOL is about the whole thing I don't see the Cup being played untill 2007.

'I'm sure that the Conmebol and UEFA, even without such (a contract), will continue with their competition,' Leoz said.

'In no way do we plan to give up what is well established and forms an important part of our history.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=292140&cc=5739

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As I've said on the Fifa board, I doubt Conmebol has any real say in this. The opinions that matter are Toyota's and Uefa's...

Toyota has already (seemingly) agreed.

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well I guess CONMEBOL could decline to send a team or start legal action. The G-14 teams don't sound to happy with this format also.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Grahame L. Jones breaks down the situation.

Europe's rejection of FIFA's idea was equally unequivocal.

"The European clubs' party line on this is unanimous," England's David Dein, vice chairman of English Premier League leader Arsenal, told Reuters.

"We agreed on Tuesday [at a meeting of the 102-member European Clubs Forum] in Barcelona that any such world championship for clubs is ill-conceived and detrimental to the domestic calendar.

"All the clubs … agreed with this point of view and there was no support for any world championship whatsoever."

Scroll past the USWNT story.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Although the G-14 are really getting on my nerves, Fifa should go ahead and scrap the Confederations Cup to reduce fixture congestion.

6. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If the money is right, anything is feasible. :)
    My only point was that more teams would make it seem like a big event, akin to the world cup, copa america, etc.

Anyway, I think you are correct, no Mexican team would be allowed to represent CONMEBOL.