Next all star game, MLS vs MFL, it will be a sold out.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I've been hearing about the next Major League Soccer All Star against the best Mexican players. This game should be played in the new LA Galaxy Stadium in front of a anticipated sold out crowd. I think they should try this format. We, the fans have nothing to loose, but show Mexicans how good MLS is and how good American soccer is getting.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Why should we spend money when we can draw 30000 with only MLS players?

3. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Then there's that...

For MLS to make more money they would have to sell 70k+ tickets because MFL, in their utter arrogance, would demand the lion's share of the money. Just one more reason to root for KC this Wednesday in Morelia.

Another questoin is why would GM's and MLS want to expose their players to the kinds of injuries Cobi Jones had to put up with. The game would have much higher tensions than should be warranted for a friendly.

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I don't want to see the best players in North America vs. some hacks from Mexico, and I surely wouldn't pay $$$ to see such a game.

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    What's a sold out?

Besides, next years game will be at the Home Depot National Training Center and it will only hold about 25,000..

A gauranteed sold out.......

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    MLS needs competition, and I do not see any competition from the MFL!

7. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    I proposed the exact same thing to Garber in a letter entitled 14pts of enlightenment to no evail back in 99.
    I also said we could capitalize on regional ethnicities, ie: mls v ireland in boston, v Italy in NY, v poland in chicago. It would work, but the calender would need to be moved up as not to disturb europe's preseason. My bro made the same suggestion to his contact w/ the galaxy. These events would be 70-80k sellouts and would garner international media attention.

8. Miloco

Miloco Red Card

Jun 6, 2002
    West Palm Beach
    i agree, but what is wrong with MLS vs Mexico in Los Angeles. Dont discriminate. I love to be Hispanic. I'm sure u dont.

9. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    The 1st team proposed was MLS v MFL in the rose bowl.

10. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    There's only one thing different in MLS vs Mexico(or MFL) and MLS vs Italy or Ireland. The difference is that while there are thousands of irish and Italians in said places their time of immigration was 1900. Most of that population doesnt care about soccer. Most Italians in NY couldnt tell you the difference between Inter Milan or Ac MIlan and most grew up playing stickball in the streets dreaming about Joe Dimaggio, and Donnie Baseball rather than Alessandro Del Piero.

While I think the game would be well attended, I think we will see 30K-40K with minimal interest and "buzz".

Mexico on the other hand will have everyone in LA talking or atleast everyone will know about it.

11. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Re: Re: Next all star game, MLS vs MFL, it will be a sold out.

I agree - it would be a great match. It would clearly sell out - but if they also want to make some money - then they will have to jack up the ticket prices (I assume a 50/50 profit split between MLS and MFL) because at normal prices with the new smaller LA stadium - they will not make as much money from fan revenue. MFL will not draw as much advertising revenue nationally as the MLS playing the US national team - so two options are : jack up the prices (say $50-75 per) for the game or move it to the larger LA venues and lower the prices with an expected attendance of 50-75K.

Bottom line: it is a business - keep that in mind when thinking about Rubio's halftime show and next years all star game.

12. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    You could say the exact same thing about 2nd generation hispanics. I think their would be a buzz everytime the game was played in a different city. Besides, wouldn't a game pitting MLS Allstars against a recognizable international team be infinately more interesting than East v West?

13. chante gomez

chante gomez New Member

Apr 13, 2002
    I'm all for the MLS vs. MFL format. We might see players chosen for playing ability, rather than just noteriety. (read: Alexi Lalas)
    Also, it would be a sellout.

I'd sure as hell would love to see MFL get the snot beaten out of them, as much as Mexicans would love to see MLS get beat.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've been suggesting MLSvMFL all-star games for years.

But I wouldn't hold one in Carson. Why would the league limit to 25,000 seats what they could almost certainly sell out either the Colliseum or Rose Bowl?

We're talking about another million or so in ticket revenue alone, not to mention concessions and merchandising. Finally, the impact and visuals of a full stadium might be incredible.

Just my thoughts.

15. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Wishfull thinking

This game will not work. The MLS owns all their teams therefore they can work their calander to make an AllStar game and have no problems getting their players to show Up.

MFL "All Stars" will have more problems since MFL season starts at a diffrent time than MLS. MFL Clubs also play in Copa Libertadores and their best players are regulars with their respective National Teams.

So how will the MLS convice the diffrent MFL Clubs to let their best players compete in in an All Star game that only benefits U.S Soccer ???

16. Miloco

Miloco Red Card

Jun 6, 2002
    West Palm Beach
    Re: Wishfull thinking

You are certanly right my friend. If we want to see a MLS vs MFL All Star Game sold out at the rose bowl, the Mexican futbol federation will need to bring a real all star team. I cant be just Chivas or Cruz Azul. It needs to be a well represented Mexican all star team. Mexican and Galaxy fans are not stupid. They know better. I would to see a game between those two, but like Various says, it might be difficult, not imposible to bring a real Mexican All Star team.

17. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA

I did not know there were any MFL "All Stars"! ;)

18. chante gomez

chante gomez New Member

Apr 13, 2002
    It's worth a try, though. They have a large player pool to choose from at a decent level of talent. Besides, it's an exhibition. We have all stars that are just faces. (read: Alexi Lalas)

Besides, doncha think it's prime time for such a matchup. This summer's world cup will still be on the minds of Mexican fans. We can throw Mexican futbol some crisp American dollars, No?

19. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    It should be. I know that if I got my ass beat like they did, I'd remember it for a while.

Not if the pretence for this idea is giving $$$ to the MFL.

I'd give that league the back of my hand but that's it.

20. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This kind of match-up would benefit the MFL and Mexican soccer, too, through further exposure to American fans. Increase in fan-base? Increase in marketing potential? This sounds like being taken advantage of?

And the MFL would get a cut of the direct revenues.

Those shady American sharks, once again trying to weasel those poor innocent Mexicans and ride the back of their hard work. *rolls eyes*

- Paul

21. JohnMac

JohnMac New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Salinas, CA
    I like it. Doubt MFL will go for it, though. Better chance of getting one of the big Euro teams touring here for their preseason.

22. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
  23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Any decision regarding the All-Star game should be based on the finances. This is one game that brings in a decent amount of revenue. I don't want any changes that leave MLS with less money. If we're going to have to split the money with another club or league, we're not likely to be better off. It's possible, but seems unlikely.

24. Miloco

Miloco Red Card

Jun 6, 2002
    West Palm Beach
    I get ur poing, then let's do this:

1- Invite ( INVITE ) a Mexican all star team to play against us without charging any money for it.
    2- Samething, all MLS star to play IN Mexico Azteca against a Mexican all star team.
    3- This way, we will all be evened.
    4- Problem and Solution by Miloco

25. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    What about inviting Real Madrid... 70,000 last night at Giant Stadium.