Rumor: News/Rumor: 2024 Chicago Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I know I’m supposed to hate the Crew, but they play some really attractive ball and I’m glad that style won a trophy. Saying all that, I’m also incredulous that Columbus now has three MLS Cups to the Fire’s one. How far we’ve fallen. Thanks a lot Hauptman and Mansueto (my patience with the “good” owner is running thin).

Sting111, schroncar, goldclover and 2 others repped this.
  2. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC apparently acquired Bouanga for $5 million in August 2022. 38 goals in 2023. What are the odds Fire FO would ever make a deal that good?

goldclover repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nikolic...and that's it, really.

goldclover and schroncar repped this.
  4. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

splunge63 and schroncar repped this.
  5. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just laughed laughed...laughed.....cried..cried..cried

xtomx repped this.
  6. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please Alex C! Stop mentioning K Acosta. We do not need an expensive DM.

7. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You get what you get and you're gonna like it.

8. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far this off-season- “you’ll get nothing and like it” -would be more accurate.

bunge repped this.
  9. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    At 27, Gutman is three years older than Navarro, but doesn't take up an international slot. And I think you meant that Gutman is signed through 2026. It always bothered me that he didn't come here after IU, but given what was in the FO at the time...

willydonc repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That seems like a strange move. Gutman has bounced all over the place and I wonder why Colorado was so quick to get rid of him, when they just traded for him 6 months ago.

Should be an improvement for the Fire, though.

Navarro does not take up an International Slot, either. He was awarded a green card in March, 2021.

https://www.chicagofirefc.com/news/chicago-fire-fc-defender-miguel-navarro-receives-us-green-card
    https://www.denverpost.com/2023/12/11/colorado-rapids-trade-andrew-gutman-miguel-navarro/

splunge63 repped this.
  11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Maybe it’s good to have someone that wants to be here?

xtomx repped this.
  12. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    There appears to be chatter about a Kellyn Acosta move...presuming he would remain a TAM level salary.

13. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    I think I like it...it's not a big move...it gives up a bit of defensive ability/tenacity for more (but not elite) attacking ability.
    upload_2023-12-11_15-19-6.png

14. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    We’re throwing around a lot of GAM early, no? Don’t we need some of that to pay down some of these hopeful signings to keep them from DP status?

Gutman kinda uninspiring. I liked Miggy but he never seemed to be able to put it all together. But he’s young.

splunge63 and goldclover repped this.
  15. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Tricky to track GAM/TAM but there’s a new batch every season, there’s carry over, expiration, and an on purpose cloak of invisibility to the majority of its use.

I am curious when the clock starts/stops on 2023 to 2024 buckets of allocation funds…anyone know?

——————
    Each club receives an annual allotment of General Allocation Money. In 2023, that allotment is $1,900,000 per club.

A club may also receive General Allocation Money in the following cases:
    • Failure to qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs
    • The transfer of a club’s player to non-MLS club outside MLS
    • Qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League
    • Expansion Clubs (see below)
    • Expansion Dilution (see below)
    • Designated Player charge distribution
    <snip>
    Targeted Allocation Money Available Per Year
    • 2023: $2,720,000 per club
    • 2024: $2,400,000 per club
    Targeted Allocation Money may be used in the following ways:
    • Clubs may use the funds to sign a new player provided his salary and acquisition costs are more than the Maximum Salary Budget Charge.
    • Clubs may re-sign an existing player provided he is earning more than the Maximum Salary Budget Charge.
    • Clubs may use all or a portion of the available Targeted Allocation Money to convert a Designated Player to a non-Designated Player (assuming such player’s Salary Budget Charge meets the salary parameters described below) by buying down his Salary Budget Charge at or below the Maximum Salary Budget Charge. If Targeted Allocation Money is used to free up a Designated Player slot, the club must simultaneously sign a new Designated Player or U22 Initiative Slot player, subject to League approval.
    • A club retains the flexibility to convert a player previously bought down with Targeted Allocation Money into a Designated Player if that club has a free Designated Player slot.
    • Clubs may use up to $200,000 of currently approved Targeted Allocation Money to sign new Homegrown Players to their first MLS contract. It cannot be used on Homegrown Players previously signed to MLS.
    Targeted Allocation Money may not be traded.
    Targeted Allocation Money expires after four full Transfer Windows.

NOTE: To protect the interests of MLS and its clubs during discussions with prospective players or clubs in other leagues, amounts of Allocation Money currently held by each club will not be shared publicly. Only in the case of a trade will the amount of General Allocation Money involved be made public.

bunge repped this.
  16. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gutman is ok but I do not believe it was a good trade for Miggy And two years of GAM. Especially for an older player. I would have preferred just buying Gutman as depth/challenger for position rather then the trade and give money away. Maybe it was a salary decision?

17. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am curious why so often you guys seem to say that the Fire have 3 dp's. Who are they now with Doumbia gone? I count only Shaq and YDP Torres. Or was that 3dp thing including Doumbia?

xtomx repped this.
  18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    We must be rich!

Old Man!, juicecrewallstar and xtomx repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, we received $200k just for Gutman's rights back in 2019, so we are just returning that plus.
    It is the trading Navarro (which is fine with me) AND the $400k GAM that seems a bit much.

Their salaries are basically a wash at this point.

I would not say that Gutman is an "older" player, but he is older than Navarro.

The fans in Colorado are pissed, so that pleases me.
    What I wonder is why Colorado are shipping him out so quickly, since they just paid $400k for him in July.

From the official announcement in the summer:
    In return for Gutman, Atlanta receive a guaranteed $400,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) split across this season and next season, as well as a 2023 international roster slot. They could get an additional $150,000 in conditional GAM if Gutman reaches certain performance metrics.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/colorado-rapids-acquire-defender-andrew-gutman-from-atlanta-united

I guess they feel that, if they can get their money back AND receive a marginal MLS-quality starting player in Navarro, it makes sense for Colorado.

Let's hope this is the reason. Gutman wanted to come home.

We need a left back and one who has some attacking skills is always a plus.
    With Gutman, Navarro becomes superfluous.
    The money is what it is.

I remember him being very good against the Fire back in May, when he scored a goal and had 2 assists.

20. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    FWIW, Miggy was being paid ~250k and Gutman is $350k.

Miggy has improved a ton on D, but I can only recall him having 2 or 3 good crosses…we need more offense from the ‘wingbacks’, and Gutman should be an uptick there

Old Man!, goldclover and bunge repped this.
  21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I always figured that was Hauptman/Rodriguez' goal.

22. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    It actually was the process. Burn two years and save all the money, then spend it on players and “DPs” without anything coming from Andrew. Go for broke one year and start over. It was miserable.

Old Man! and xtomx repped this.
  23. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    saw there is a 50% sell-on clause for Miggy so that’s nice

goldclover repped this.
  24. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TAM/GAM -comments/ guesses
    1) GAM does not expire. TAM expires after four periods (2 years).

2) my notes from 10-10-23. Resources Available for 2024:
    $5,470,000. - Salary Budget
    2,585,000. - League GAM
    2,400,000. - League TAM
    $10,455,000 Subtotal
    2,545,000. - Est Sales GAM
    ? say 0 ? Other GAM ( you suck, new franchise,other)
    $13,000,000 Est Total Resources

3) my Sales GAM is based solely upon Gaga & Duran sales.

4)based upon various comments,etc ( including sales of Offor and Frankowski), it is my assumption that all prior FAM and TAM were used earlier, hence, no other carry forward GAM/TAM was included in my estimate.

5) Very Important- lots of missing information. Estimates subject to error.

6) Rules may change in near future!

goldclover repped this.