Rumor: News/Rumor: 2024 Chicago Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Mar 1, 2023.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    They expect to sign 10 players in this window and Barlow is the first.

2. Not contemporary MLS, but the prototypical defensive forward was Dirk Kuyt.

goldclover repped this.
  3. They expected to sign a DP striker the last two windows and nada.

I'd be disappointed if they didn't turn over the roster, but it won't be easy to move bad players on bad contracts. Kacper will be bought out and Torres has some value in LigaMX. Souquet is on a high wage for a lot of teams he could move to, even if he leaves on a free. M. Navarro brain cramps aside he should have some value. I hope they don't resort to dumping them on Lugano, as that would really sour that relationship. Hopefully a few of the new players will be Fire II promotions.

schroncar repped this.
  4. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Maybe…

Bottom line, he’s not a starter, not a proven scorer, and will play some kind of depth role.

I hope he finds what he needs here to become what a decent number of folks thought he had the potential to be.

5. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    10?! Did this number come from the recent town hall or ???

Need to go back to review the drops, but I don’t remember there being 10spots opened up…

Also need to review the salary budget and see if we can guesstimate what we have to work with

6. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    and let's hope the worst!

bunge repped this.
  7. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I share your concern. Last I checked, Fire did not have enough roster slots or enough “resources” (salary budget+ League GAM + TAM + sale GAM) to do this. Maybe MLS is getting ready to shower additional resources on all clubs. Even if they do,this might only cause Fire to slip further down the pecking order unless “somebody” figures out to use the new assets. Personally, I am not convinced our FO can accomplish 10 good acquisitions in a short time. Maybe not even in a long time. This would be another complete changeover. It would be nice to have a coach.

8. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    "accomplish" is one thing, "do well" is another...

2020 and 2021 had large turnover numbers (aka rebuilds), IIRC one year there were 17 signings during the off season!

9. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said- am not convinced our FO can accomplish 10 GOOD acquisitions ina SHORT time.

goldclover repped this.
  10. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Will they be playing a 4-2-3-1 next season? It would be nice to have a coach lined up so he can share what his playing philosophy is? I know Klopas tried to move to a 3-5-2, but it ended in disaster. Is 4-3-2-1 the right call for this roster? Should Shaqiri being playing out wide right with Guti in the middle? This Barlow guy seems to be someone to allow Shaqiri not to play defense.

schroncar repped this.
  11. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Jiggly_333 repped this.
  12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Town Hall.

xtomx and overlap_old_coach repped this.
  13. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    This might not actually be true. Dumbia was a conscious choice, for better or worse.

14. Okay, close enough.

15. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Bummed I couldn’t go, life got in the way…
    But wow! That is implying a lot of action!

bunge repped this.
  16. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Agreed! Let’s hope!

xtomx repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Saying he might complement Koutsias is probably the biggest compliment you could provide to Barlow.

bunge repped this.
  18. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you defend them on this? Unbelievable! Not a striker, not even close to DP quality or stature! Do you mean consensus or conscious? If consensus- who was voting- three raccoons? If conscious- would they pass a sobriety test?

19. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    good to see that Heitz is loading up

bunge repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A striker who has managed a total of less than 10 goals and, what, 50 appearances in his career, including the second tier in England and Germany and Hibs?
    Kid has bounced around to something like 6 clubs in 4 years, without making much of an impact at any of them (he had a decent month at Shalke).
    I suppose he is a kid with a bit of an upside (22, has a few USMNT caps), if we could grab him for $1,000,000 or so, I'd be fine with it. However, he made $725,004 at San Jose last season.
    Probably a decent enough gamble, but he is not the striker of our dreams.

Better than Barlow?
    That's like asking if White Claw is better than Bartles (and James). Sure, I suppose, but it's a slightly different thing and not that much better.

Caveat, I have voluntarily consumed a few cherry White Claws in the past year or two.

21. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see your optimism. We can all hope for improvement.

22. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    was being cynical (goes with the territory, right?). well aware that the roster isn't set yet. love the promise and commitment from Mansueto, but am quite skeptical that Heitz will make us a contender (I've seen more than enough).

goldclover, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  23. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda wondered when coming from you, but we all have our mood swings. Sometimes I wonder if the acquisitions of last four years made the team better or worse ( exclude Gaga, Gutierrez and Brady as Homegrowns). Of course, there would major differences in opinion on some players, so impossible to do.

24. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I wasn’t defending them. Just clarifying that they weren’t looking for a DP9 in the last window.

xtomx repped this.
  25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    True, but that is so strange since there are far more players available in the Summer transfer window than in the January transfer window.