Rumor: News/Rumor: 2024 Chicago Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Mar 1, 2023.

1. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Badgered? Well that’s silly…
    Maybe I’m better off being ignorant of that part of our community :coffee:

2. Just take it with a grain of salt. They're kids being kids.

schroncar and overlap_old_coach repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The "official" updated list of Who's in and Who's out has been published by MLS.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/who-s-in-who-s-out-mls-clubs-announce-roster-decision-for-2024-season
    Note a few teams have not made their decisions as these pesky, alleged "playoffs" are still ongoing.

Any players we would want?
    Of course, most of the players would go through the stupid reentry or supplemental or whatever they call that "draft" thing they have of other team's scrubs.

We could get CJ Sapong and Dax McCarty back!

Of course, Josef Martinez is available.

Diego Rubio? Sure Colorado flat out sucked last year, but he had 16 goals in 2022, and at 30, he might have a few decent years left in him. He made about $700k last season

Douglas Costa? Probably too old (33) and waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive. He made $4.5million, so hard pass.

Maxi Urruti? Probably not on a "maxi" salary, but he has been decent, although not great, everywhere he's been. He made $700k last season.

Miles Robinson from Atlanta? USMNT player, recovered from his torn ACL (suffered against the Fire last year). Of course, he was making the same as Czichos last season (around $1.4 mil).

Teeny, Tiny Michael Barrios? Just joined LAG in August and is out of contract. 44 goals and 62 assists for F_C_Dallas, Colorado and LAG in 80years. Made about $600k last year, played in 26 matches, but did not start many matches for Colorado (7) and LAG (0)

4. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    This makes much more financial sense…still not sure how he fits a plan.

5. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same price, same job (apparently) as Kamara. Younger, more likely to last all match/all season possibility for number of years, less scoring?, more defense?
    As a backup, willing to give him a chance. Why do you think he is not a fit?

6. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Who scores more goals next year, Koutsias or Barlow?

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  7. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If new DP9 is here for preseason, they each score 5. If DP9 arrives July or later, they each score 8. (It is pre-pre-season, be happy)

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This assumes that Barlow joins on the Fire, correct?

Hard to say, but I will go with Koustias. This season, they had identical goals and assists, but Barlow played 80% more time with way more starts.

Barlow's stats on decent RBNY teams:
    2023 34 games (20 starts) 1,847 minutes, 3 goals (2 assists)
    2022 22 g (8 Starts) 1,81 minutes, 4 goals (0 assists)
    2021 23 g (2 starts) 482 minutes, 1 goal (0 assists)
    2020 21 g (12 starts) 974 minutes, 3 goals (0 assists)
    2019 12 g (8 starts) 605 minutes, 3 goals (0 assists)

Koustias' stats on a crappy Fire team.
    2023 27 g (13 starts) and only 1,012 minutes scored 3 goals (2 assists).

9. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    a) Barlow is a downgrade from Kei (scoring, holdup play, passing, locker room, etc)...and FWIW Kei was fit AF and out worked all other attackers on the team.

b) For a team with a major dearth of goals, and is/has been committed to a single striker formation(4-2-3-1), it makes little sense to swap an aging scoring legend out for another teams "should have been good but can't score" late 20s striker.
    Couple of NYRB Supporter quotes:
    "One of the least skilled players ever, but always gives it his all. Never expect a goal when he’s on the pitch though"
    "Barlow does everything you want your striker to do except be good at his job. He will work hard but don't expect any competent passes or touches."
    c) It would be logical to think we will carry 4 strikers (Starter, Depth, U22, HG) on the roster...which slot does Barlow fit?
    2023: Przybylko, Kei, Koutsias, Victor
    2024: DP, Barlow, Koutsias, Victor....this presumes Przybylko is moved.
    or the 4 are now Starter, Depth, U22, & Pressing 11....DP, Przybylko, Koutsias, Barlow

Only things that are not drop offs from Kei are work ethic and size....and Kacper is "more likely to score".

Once more moves are made it might make more sense...for now, it's a head scratcher.

xtomx repped this.
  10. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Koutsias, IF he can learn to time his runs...13 offsides in 1000min! Otherwise it's a coin flip.

xtomx repped this.
  11. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    from what I can gather, it seems like the right role for Barlow is as a late sub with a lead -- a defensive presence up top

vibe I get is that he is what Herbers would be if he never got moved from striker

xtomx, bunge and Fuegofan repped this.
  12. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    That makes some sense, but what does that mean to the roster?

Hard to imagine we will carry more than 4 strikers...so if we plan for 4, what roles would they play?
    a) Starter, Backup, U22, HG
    b) Starter, Backup, Development, Defensive
    That might be it, but it feels super weird planning for and desiring a "defensive striker"...

13. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #713 schroncar, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    Agree Kei probably more likely to score in one 15 minute stretch last year. Not sure if that will be true this year and not sure how many appearances Kei can perform over an entire season. And what about future years? Kacper must be on the way out. Will they replace him? With who? It may be DP9, late game scorer, Koutsias, Barlow next year.

14. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We lost a lot of leads last year.

15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry, this post was an edit to my previous post, but the 30 minute time limit had elapsed.
    It covers much of the same as what is being discussed, but adds some money concerns into the conversation, so I will post it.

Why would sign him (and pay upwards to $400k in Garber bucks), when he have plenty of "light scoring" strikers?

I guess first of all, he is only making $200k per year, about the same as Kei was, but less than half of Koutsias' salary $470,800.

I suppose he would be the "replacement" for Kamara, but Kamara at 147 years old scored more goals this year, than Barlow has in any season. And that is even taking into account that Kamara failed score for half the season and only scored a single goal since April. At least teams perceived Kamara as a threat to score, based on experience and reputation.

Barlow seems more like a Herbers-type player (especially as Herbers was (listed as) a striker when we first signed him in 2019). Of course, we have a Herbers-type player, Herbers, who we just signed to a new contract (and made $330,000 last season).

What does Barlow bring to the table that Koutsias, Herbers, the "kids" and Kacper do not?
    Certainly not goals or assists.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  16. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    And replacing Kei with Barlow is the solution to that?

FWIW, I’m not ‘anti-Barlow’…the issue for me is our #1 issue is too few goals, and I don’t see this move helping with that. Hope I’m wrong.

schroncar repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ^^This^^

The moves just smacks of a "move for a move's sake" and for Heitz to be able to say "I signed a player within MLS, just like I did with Kei Kamara."

goldclover repped this.
  18. Barlow is another grinder, like Herbers except Herbers doesn't have the wheels any more. Koutsias has more quality. The two of them might be a complementary pair.

schroncar repped this.
  19. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. He may not be a fit. Or maybe he was acquired for a different reason. Or maybe it was a typical Heitz move that does not solve a problem.

20. Fixed

schroncar repped this.
  21. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we are talking about problems, this may be an appropriate time to mention that year-end moves ( pre-Barlow) only freed up roughly $1.5 million in budget salary cap reduction. Given that all information is not available AND given that rules sometimes are “adjusted”, unless a fourth DP is added or additional budget moneys provided by MLS, Fire will be limited in the volume of acquisitions they can make.

22. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    If Kacper stays
    The three keys to this off season:
    1) DP that either competes for the golden boot and/or top 5 in the league at their position
    2) Head coach
    3) Jairo & Kacper

schroncar and bunge repped this.
  23. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    if koustias can improve on the dribble a bit and play some spot winger, could look something like:

DP9
    Presser/grinder/defensive forward: Barlow
    Speed/striker-winger hybrid: Koutsias
    Traditional striker: Kacper or (hopefully) a replacement

Not ideal, imo, but plausible

24. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Be interesting to look at the top 8 teams to see how many play(or even have) a ‘defensive striker’…
    Can’t recall that being talked about as a part of ‘a winning formula’…

25. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a term I remember seeing. But I have seen a few mean, nasty strikers. Maybe he can be our designated agitator/ time waster.