Rumor: News/Rumor: 2024 Chicago Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Mar 1, 2023.

1. I know, our 2023 season hasn't started yet so why am I rolling next year's thread out? I stumbled upon the fact that barring the club exercising options there are 13 contracts expiring at the end of this year. I'm grouping them in 3 subsets.

Likely back:
    Pineda - no explanation necessary

Could be back:
    Omsburg - reliable depth at worst
    Gimenez - only with a pay cut

Probably not back:
    Kamara - one year stop gap
    Gal & Richey - only if they're OK backing up Brady
    Herbers - should upgrade here
    Haile-Selassie - likely returning to Lugano

Last chance to impress:
    Burks
    Casas
    Dean
    Monis
    Rodriguez

goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  2. Fire II players who have decent chances for 2024 first team contracts:

Glasgow
    Osorio
    Ostrem

There were hints that some young foreign professionals will be Fire II players, but no word yet.

Academy players with decent chances for Fire II or HG deals:

D. Borso
    Cupps
    A. Deppe
    Healy
    Kruz Held
    Stechnij

There are also some college players like Quintos that could get HG offers.

goldclover repped this.
  3. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    I’ll review when I get home, but I think Gaston added a year in his contract rework
    upload_2023-3-1_18-18-12.jpeg

willydonc repped this.
  4. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per 10-7-22 Heitz announcement, Gemenez contract was reduced from DP (to Max-TAM?) and extended 2 additional years to 12-31-25!

harrylee773 repped this.
  5. Madonna mia!

6. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what that phrase means. I do know his contract will be a heavy load for three more years.

7. A more gentle version of jfc in Italian.

8. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Che cavolo!

9. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gesundheit!

bunge repped this.
  10. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump! Idle thoughts while waiting for the Austin lineup news. Some teams play young players and/or non-starters in non-league matches and tournaments. The team gets an opportunity to review players outside practice, reward them for their efforts in practices and manage the minutes of key players. The players relish the chance to compete, especially if it is something that matters, and it improves morale.
    The obvious downside is a weaker squad for the match.
    The Fire has 7 players in this category (Burks, Casas, Dean, Gal, Monis, Omsberg and A. Rodriquez) with contracts expiring at year-end. Bezerra, Oregel, Reynolds and M Rodriquez contracts expire in
    later years. Thoughts/ Comments?

11. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would not play Burks. Seen enough of him. That is my only thought.

juicecrewallstar and xtomx repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    First of all, at this point, the US Open is too valuable for us to risk playing a "weaker squad" for the match. It is our chance to salvage the season. We should not waste that opportunity to "reward" the kids.

I only see two players on your list who are close to MLS quality-Omsberg and Dean, and I am not really sure about Dean at this point.
    I actually had to look up a couple of the players as I did not recognize their names.

I think the problem is that we have had very few league games this season where we could "afford" to toss those players out there.
    We are damned good a giving up leads late in games with our starters/regular subs, just imagine if we tossed a couple of those guys out there and gave up a lead.

goldclover repped this.
  13. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    I think MHS and even Kamara have slid up the list since the OP

14. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify-I am not proposing we start them, just asking for comments/ thoughts. In addition to making it difficult to sub in late game situations, a weak bench makes it harder to manage minutes, less play by backups and reduced morale. MLS Next helps a little but it is not the same. US Open play would benefit the players more.

xtomx repped this.
  15. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Agree with both of you...can't "roll out the kids" in the USOC and MHS+Kei have shown clear "MLS roster value".

I'd add, as much as it's easy to throw shade at Herbers, for $310k he has provided more value than multiple players making more than him. He is a good example of the type of depth player you need in the MLS...unfortunately he has had to start a lot(9 of 12). I'd keep him around.

Not out of contract, the "concerning players" are Jairo (1.1), Przybylko(1.1m), Mueller(600k), & Aceves (300k but might be a loan).

We have room for 1DP + 1TAM, so it makes you wonder if there is a new player that would "unlock" something with the concerning players, OR if there are trades possible (other teams have "good on paper" players they want to get rid of too).

goldclover repped this.
  16. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe both MHS and Aceves are loans, at least at this time. Not sure of their impact on budget/salary cap. Clearly we ( need to) have room for a DP striker.
    Given the mandatory DP, 2 players on loan and the recent salary information, I am not sure how much room we actually have. There are always a number of unknown items, often relating to amounts carried forward. I have not seen any attempts at estimating the answer in about a year. Anybody seen a new one?

17. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022

schroncar repped this.
  18. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any detail available?

19. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm NOT starting this rumor, I'm repeating the rumor I heard from a source who knows as much (or as little more specifically) as I do. Has anyone else heard rumblings of Brian McBride being approached to be the new Fire GM/Sporting Director? I can see Mansueto likes Heitz and maybe moves him to another role in the club (or Lugano?) and brings the recently former US Soccer TD and Chicago area resident and former Fire McBride in. Maybe it was just wishful thinking from said Fire fandom collective but it makes a lot of sense both timing wise and as a fit. It also makes sense because then the new TD could get a jump on the summer transfer window before this season is a loss.

From January '23
    https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/report-brian-mcbride-out-as-usmnt-general-manager/2955329/

goldclover repped this.
  20. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know little about his administrative career but given his performance as a player and an all-around icon with Fire, Fullham
    and the USMNT, I would love to see that.

goldclover and Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  21. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Nah, but I had some DMs with LoganSquares and they have a working file with multiple eyeballs on it to track what is publicly stated/published.
    I had been doing the same, by myself, and stopped when I determined they had found a couple of things I missed.

22. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Why can't the Fire sign Cho Gue-sung?

23. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, not meaning to imply they were not a valid source. My “ guesstimate” is that Fire has at least that much room. I was hoping there might be a source for carry forward.

24. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would we do with a big, strong, fast two-footed aerialist striker with an international reputation?

xtomx, goldclover and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  25. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI- forgot to include young (25)

goldclover and Jiggly_333 repped this.