News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While I do not really like playing bad teams this actually makes some sense. It is necessary to be able to beat decent teams fairly easily but it is also necessary that the team learns how to bury the weak teams of the world.

If a bad team attempts to "play" the US straight up the US will, probably, run a score. However most bad teams bunker in one way or another against the US and the US has shown real problems scoring if a team, even pretty bad ones, bunkers with good discipline. That needs to be practiced to master.

Remember, in the WWC goal difference matters and we must run scores when we can.

One thing this team seems to lack a bit is the ruthlessness and general meanness that USWNT teams have historically had a "no mercy" attitude but that is lacking lately and has been since the last WWC.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3852 lil_one, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    No misprint, and the team isn't deciding who next to play based on how SheBelieves went. Match scheduling takes much longer than that.

According to an ESPN article, the team had another high-ranked East Asian team scheduled for these matches but the team backed out due to some government mandated COVID-19 regulations for the players (the other team pulled out in early Feb). USSF had about 2 weeks to find a replacement.

jnielsen and JanBalk repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of this morning's AGM, the deaf men's and women's US soccer teams have become official national teams:

CoachJon, jnielsen and BostonRed repped this.
  4. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious where the discussion about Carly Lloyd's comment about culture can be found? Is there a specific forum for it or is there no interest?

5. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    I have lots of thoughts and speculations, but I don't think they'd be appropriately categorized under "News and Analysis" :)

6. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let go. The mods will move it to the appropriate forum and then we'll both know where the discussion is taking place!

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's discussion anywhere because there's not much interest. Also there are no active mods in this forum, so if you want to discuss it, I think the appropriate spot is the Women's Fans forum , or at the bare minimum, starting a separate thread in this forum and not taking over this thread.

yabo repped this.
  8. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I could have sworn I made a reply to this, because I went looking for a discussion thread as well and didn't see one.

I think a separate thread in N&A would be good. It's not analysis, but it is news, and doesn't really fit anywhere else.

jnielsen and BostonRed repped this.
  9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3859 jackdoggy, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Men's World Cup gains relevancy and prestige with Carli on stage for the draw:
    wcdraw.jpg

jnielsen and Semblance17 repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...almost. :coffee:

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen, blissett and JanBalk repped this.
  12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    as i (and I'm sure others) suspected.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    L W Johnson
    @HelltownBeer

6h
    Notable viewership for soccer last week:
    608k Leicester v United (USA)
    573k Newcastle v Spurs (USA)
    463k Brentford v Chelsea (USA)
    456k NWSL San Diego v Angel City (CBS)
    123k MLS PDX v LAG (FS1)

jnielsen repped this.
  14. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    In the upcoming concacaf W championship, would you prefer to see the USWNT avoid playing Mexico IN Mexico?. There is a lot of pressure to win the championship to confirm the Olympic spot as well.

15. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Realistically Mexico is the only team other than Canada that could threaten to stop the USWNT from coming 1st.

16. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    The draw is on the 19th of april

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US are the heavy favorites to win the CONCACAF W Championship, and the team handles the pressure of not only qualifying for every major tournament but also the expectation to win every WC and Olympics. They are not looking to avoid any team, but even if that were not true, they will likely play Mexico regardless, either in the group stage or the knockouts. Honestly, I can't remember any WCQ tournament in which we didn't play Mexico. Has there been one?

18. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    But it could be different when Mexico has its 12th man behind them

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying there's not a (slim) chance Mexico could upset the US. I'm saying, more than likely, there's no chance of avoiding them.

And yes, we all remember what happened in 2010 when US faced Mexico in Mexico, but still the USWNT have faced sterner tests of playing a team at home with a 12th man (see 2019 WWC playing France). They're going to be unfazed, and they're still the favorites.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I remember, because USA subsequently eliminated Italy in the play-off. :(

21. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Funnily enough 2010 was the last time they ever played a game in Mexico

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why I keep responding, but I see what you're trying to imply. The simple fact of the matter is that Mexico hardly ever hosts these tournaments: 2010 was the first (and until now, only) time to host WCQ and only their 2nd time to host if you include OQ in 2008...those are the only two times the USWNT has played in Mexico. AFAIK, they've never been invited to play in Mexico otherwise.

23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen and Heeligan2 repped this.
  24. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I recall that 2010 match vividly. Maribel Dominguez, Mexico's best woman player ever and one of the absolute best to ever put on a boot, got two goals for Mexico. Abby Wambach should have been red-carded for a dangerous challenge in stoppage time -- and ended up gushing blood from a head wound.

No Dominguez this time for Mexico. Nobody even close.

25. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    You not been watching Liga mx femenil lately?