News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to guess that the Person of the Year is the only actual cover in stores. By the way, here's the Time article that goes along with the picture: https://time.com/athlete-of-the-year-2019-us-womens-soccer-team/

jnielsen and jackdoggy repped this.
  2. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Crystal Dunn and Casey Short's insta stories, Franch got married yesterday.

McSkillz and jackdoggy repped this.
  4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our ol' buddy Phil, doing some analyst work on the MU Match today just said that they are coming in March to the She Believes in Orlandooooooooooooo.
    Semb with a late Christmas Present.

Semblance17 and jnielsen repped this.
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For something a little out of the box in this thread: a podcast with Jimena Panduro, the social media manager for the USWNT, from the podcast Social on the Sidelines.

jackdoggy repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case some of you are not on social media at all, Ali Krieger and Ashlyn Harris got married yesterday. Sydney Leroux officiated. Megan Rapinoe also played some role in the wedding party. A number of former and current WNT players were present, and there are quite a few pics on social media accounts.

blissett, BostonRed and jackdoggy repped this.
  7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wwwwwwwwwwell, I guess my invitation was delayed, misplaced or lost by the United States Postal Service.:D:D:D:D

Congrats to the Happy Couple.

8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the glad tidings, JD!

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity to break up busy season with a well-timed USWNT Match-Walt Disney World combo vacation. A visit to both the Happiest Place on Earth and the Happiest *stationary* Place on Earth in the same trip; it just doesn't get any better than that. :D

CoachJon and jackdoggy repped this.
  9. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plausible. I've had at least a half a dozen pieces of incoming mail bounce as undeliverable for no apparent reason this season. The knuckleheads running that outfit now make Cliff Clavin from Cheers look good.

On a related note, I did run into the mother of Miss Harris outside the stadium in Jacksonville and congratulated her for the very good year she's had and the great talent her daughter possesses.

Come to think of it, she should have used that opportunity to hand-deliver your invite in person...too bad. :)

jackdoggy repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks, in fact that's my situation: I am not on social media at all so, if I hadn't read the news here, I wouldn't have known otherwise: thanks! :thumbsup:

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    '19 in review.

jackdoggy repped this.
  12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always defer Media technical issues to professionals like McSkillz but 12 minutes and 11 seconds in length?!?!?!?!?

At a minimum, it should have been 12 hours and 11 minutes.

Or my preference - - - 12 days and 11 hours.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    indeed, seems like they got no permissions from fifa for the really meaningful games of the year - thailand thru netherlands

don't think there was any video from play during the actual wc.

Mills repped this.
  14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea - - would clearance come from FIFA or FOX...or Both??????

Mills repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2015 highlight video is the same story. I know we like to blame USSF, but this isn't on them. FIFA ultimately owns the coverage (and gives permission to channels like FOX to broadcast/use it after they pay mega-bucks), and they don't just give it out for free use, even to federations. They're pretty heavy-handed about it, and were even known to get 2018 MWC fans' posts taken down that just showed footage on a tv in the background. For those fans, there is a fair use question there, but not for this type of video from USSF.

jackdoggy and Mills repped this.
  16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mannnnnnnnnnn, I respect their position, I get it. They don't want me to burn all 7 US Matches onto a DVD, and sell it under the title of The Second Time the USA Set Things Straight in France.

But a total blackout of the singular Women's Sports Event on the Planet? Seems to run contrary to their stated objective of growing and promoting the Sport. Seems like they could produce a 20 minuteish Summary video and tell all the Federations to knock yourself out with anything on that Video.

BWTHDIK

Mills repped this.
  17. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    #3417 Mills, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    I wouldn't mind, if they offered to sell the matches on DVD or BluRay to the public.
    How do people watch these matches again without having to go to pirated sources?

EDIT: Just found this 15 minute WWC compilation of all USWNT matches from FOX.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure this was ever posted: an interview with the Ertzes on NBC Sports that seems to have been recorded around Thanksgiving. Some of the questions are kind of duds, but it's around 45 minutes in length, so more in depth than most interviews.

Mills and jackdoggy repped this.
  19. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    My favorite sports couple. Go Eagles!!

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic interview with Kate Markgraf mostly on the process of hiring Harvey (didn't happen until the holiday season in December) but also what her job has looked like so far. Markgraf also makes her argument for the Chicago requirement (to be in the same room and get alignment), but its still stupid. (Has USSF not heard about video conference calls? And the job is literally not in Chicago when you consider the time in camps, travel for games, and scouting.)

jackdoggy and TimB4Last repped this.
  21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess different people have different ideas about whether "in person" is the same as "by video conference." I think of it this way: a video chat with my granddaughter is great, but it most definitely is not the same as chatting with her in person. Or, to use a soccer example, in college potential recruits have on campus visits and meetings. Why not just do it all by video conference? Of, to use another example, would you marry someone based only on having had video conferences?

The USSF has made a judgment about the kind of staff team work they want and how best to achieve it. Their decision may be right or wrong, but I don't think it's stupid.

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I get that. As an expat who lives the majority of the time overseas, I do see the value of at least sometimes being at a meeting in person. But it still makes more sense to have the occasional in-person meeting with people flying in than requiring them to move there. In the article, Markgraf talks about all the WNT coaches getting to sit down and strategize together in the same room, but that it won't happen until April. APRIL. And they still have to move to Chicago? It's ridiculous.

23. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because only the head coach has to move to Chicago, assistance Etc will have to fly in.

24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Hence why all head coach positions are vacant.

Namdynamo and jnielsen repped this.
  25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States