News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it wasn't clear and without going too far down a rabbit trail that would need to be moved to the PCE forum (admittedly I was the one who started down the path), I'll just say that my initial reaction was primarily a misunderstanding of the council and the appointment (I'd never previously heard of the council.). That misunderstanding led me to think the appointment was odd, which led me to a secondary misunderstanding of who POTUS was referring to.

I corrected my initial misunderstanding, and realized it wasn't odd but a big honor for Lloyd, regardless of who's doing the appointing...so like I said, big congrats to her.

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Donald Trump and Mallory Pugh would be a nice combination to see working together in the white house.
    It would be good to see more members of the USWNT get this type of exposure.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hashtag #deja vu

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Semblance17, sitruc and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    sitruc repped this.
  9. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Two positives about the new red kit.
    1) It is a national color of the United States - unlike, you know, black.
    2) Solid color socks, no more faded out ones.

10. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #2735 holden, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Funny you say that, cause is has, you know, black stripes on it. The 2016 England away kit looks more 'Murican cause it has blue stripes:
    [​IMG]

Oh, and remember that whole, 1 nation 1 team thing and how the men and women are supposed to have the same kits... well apparently the men are getting their own special Gold Cup kits:

(though I guess the women got their own "special" kit for the 2015 WWC...)

Semblance17 repped this.
  11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2736 Semblance17, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Yeah, that 2015 WWC kit was real special. :rolleyes:

It still upsets me that the USWNT, upon winning their first World Cup in sixteen years and the third in the history of the U.S. on either side of the game, was forced to wear on the winner's podium the least patriotic kit of all time, a kit without a speck of red or blue. Just Nike brand colors: white, black, and highlighter green-yellow. Even simply including a full-color crest would have satisfied me. But no, Nike thought it was better to let arguably the most important part of the kit blend in [as it did in the 2014 firecracker popsicle kit] and have the socks "pop" instead.

In this new red kit once again the full-color crest is absent. Also completely absent are blue and technically even white [in favor of silver]. Almost everyone seemed to hate the black kits since using black as the predominant color seemed somewhat disrespectful to the American flag. But to be fair, that kit did include all of the flag's colors as well. This one does not, clings to traces of black as well as the Nike's atrocious signature pinstripe sleeves, and in no way looks distinctly American. Rather than paying tribute to the flag, it's just another gimmick, slapped on a Nike template for the sake of a catchy hashtag.

39 completely different kits for the 39 national teams that Nike apparently sponsors might be a tall order, but it would be nice to see a little more creativity and variety, at least for Nike's host nation.

12. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least the USWNT gets to wear the new kit first for a change.

It's something.

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    So special that the men never wanted to wear it! :whistling:

Yeah, it's understandable that they have to re-use templates when they've got so many team, but when they're using the same template for nearly every team they sponsor (and all the ones in the top 50 of FIFA's rankings), that's just lazy. I will say that they did a fairly good job disguising that Turkey used the same template, though.

Fairly certain that's because the men are getting that special kit for the Gold Cup, otherwise they would've waited until after the men wore it to let the women wear it.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    MiLLeNNiuM and Semblance17 repped this.
  15. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Texas been a poor showing recently in ticket sales for USWNT?

16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    IIRC, they had the CONCACAF qualifying tournament (?) last year - pretty much in its entirety - and attendance was abysmal (which is why those tweets that went out sometime late in the year explicitly left out competitive match attendance in trying to draw some sort of favorable comparison with the USMNT). Like, super-terrible.

Granted, Texas can be pretty crappy this time of year, but consider that in contrast with more than half of the rest of the country in February.

17. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! First thing that crossed my mind, & it's frustrating that they are getting rewarded with another game so quickly on the heels of their last. They're are half a dozen stadiums around the country that have not only not had a game in a while, but have never had a game. Heck when's the last time PDX has had a game?

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I believe USSF has a financial stake in Toyota Stadium so they seem to do well in the rotation.

19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Last time they played in Portland was November 28, 2012. But my guess is after that big stink the USWNT made about playing on artificial turf, we won't be seeing another game in Portland (or Seattle for that matter) for a long time.

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Toyota Stadium is owned by the city of Frisco. They have had 4 games in the past 5 years (plus a few days).

1. Feb 11, 2012 - 20,677 - sellout
    2. Jan 23, 2014 - 20,862 - sellout
    3. Feb 10, 2016 - 8,134
    4. Feb 15, 2016 - 15,032

I think based on those first two numbers, you can see why they decided to host the games in 2016. Unfortunately that seemed to split the attendance, rather than having 2 sellouts.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The recent USMNT friendly against Jamaica was on turf, as an aside.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But yet none of them would have any qualms about playing for the Thorns on the artificial turf every other weekend.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, a lot of people said that was so USSF could say, "See, the men have to play on turf too."

Yep, Portland has the best artificial surface in the country. It's just the USSF wants to avoid any bad press at the moment (especially with them trying to get the new CBA done).

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Uh huh. It's because it was a Camp Cupcake friendly, and laying grass over the field in Chattenooga was probably a logistical nightmare to even consider.

A lot of people don't really think much.

25. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #2750 holden, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Well, that is part of the reason for the jaded response.