News about Polish Players [R]

Discussion in 'Poland' started by karny9, Dec 28, 2005.

1. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    Yeah I read somewhere that Paul Jewell(Coach of Wigan) really wanted him in their system, and was fighting quite strongly to get him there.

2. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    Maciej Zurawski scored the first goal in a 3-0 win today over Dunfermline in the final of the SPL League Cup. Boruc provided the clean sheet as the polish bhoys pick up their first hardware in Scotland.

3. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Awesome!!! Congrats to Zuraw and Boruc.

4. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    Marek Saganowski scores again, this time in a match vs. Academica Coimbra (1:1). I was thinking about the NT's attack and Zurawski-Saganowski could be good :cool:

5. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    Sagan now has 11 goals in the season alone, and is 3 goals behind leader Nuno Gomes.

Zuraw-Sagan up front doesnt sound too bad, better than anyone-Rasiak

6. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Janas will be a complete fool if he doesn't take Sagan to the WC. Zurawski wasn't awesome in the Celtic win, but showed some class when he calmly scored after a defensive/goalkeeping mixup. Boruc diidn't have much to do, but was sure-handed when he was forced to act; and once again needlessly showed off by dribbling the ball against a Dunfermline striker.

7. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    the ego is slowly returning....

Magic's goal was kind of funny

8. johnz88

johnz88 New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Canada/Poland
    Hey did anybody else hear about Lukasz Fabianski going to Manchester Utd? I have read it on a few sites but don't know if it is really gonna happen.

9. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    probably everyone has heard about it as manchester was interested in winter. latest rumour is that 1,6 mln pounds will be enough to buy him and the terms have been agreed but i dont believe this one

10. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    Niedzielan scored his 10th of the season yesterday.

Szymkowiak scored his 6th of the season today.

11. Jaga

Jaga New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    in my house
    yes them too would be great since rasiak sucks

12. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Quick question. There are rumors floating in the Chicago Polish media as well as media outlets in Poland re: Sebastian Mila coming to play for the Chicago Fire after the Austria Bundesliga season is over, or after the WC if he gets picked, whichever is later. There would be a transfer fee or loan set up in order for Mila to come over here. I've read and heard that this kid is good but just hasn't stepped up to his potential.

I think this is the same guy who played a couple years ago in the Poland/USA friendly here in Chicago.

Any info or opnion regarding Mila would be appreciated?

13. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    There are differing opinions on Sebastian Mila in Poland. He was part of that Groclin team that had a little run in the UEFA Cup 3 years ago when they beat Hertha Berlin & Manchester City(Mila had an awesome free kick in that game) along with Grzegorz Rasiak(Southampton, on loan from Tottenham) & Andrzej Niedzielan(NEC Nijmegen). He was considered one of the country's brightest up & coming talents as he was only 21. However, he made a poor decision to move to Austria Vienna. He had problems there from the beginning, not with his skill, but with his relationship with the coach. Whenever he played, he did well. I remember watching Austria Vienna once in the UEFA Cup & Max from FSC said that he looks and plays like a very young Nedved. However, over the last 2 years, he's never really reached that potential everyone's expecting from him. Granted, he's still only 24, but by this time, people were expecting him to be playing in a top 5 league with everyday playing time and the like. However, he is still in Vienna and receiving minimal playing time.

In terms of his actual skill level, he is clinical on free kicks. However, he is physically small, and has a tough time playing in physical games, simply because he isn't strong enough or tall enough to handle the tough game. He is the type of player that can be invisible for long periods of the game, but than come out and make an awesome play.

In any case, I don't mean any offense to you or Americans in general, but for him going to the MLS would be a step down. I think the best case scenario for him right now would be to go back to Poland, play for either Legia or Wisla(though I'm unsure whether they want him), help them in the CL or UEFA Cup and than look for a better fit abroad.

Some people may disagree with this, but that is my honest opinion about him.

14. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    In today's games:

- Grzegorz Rasiak had 2 goals for S'ton in a 2-1 win over Stoke City. The first was from a penalty, and the second was from a volley about 10 meters out.
    Kamil Kosowski wasn't even on the bench.

- Tomasz Kuszczak played the full 90 in the Albion net against Arsenal. He let in 3 goals in a 3-1 loss. He could'ce done slightly better on the first, but it was a good shot and took a minor deflection. The 2nd and 3rd he didn't really have a chance.

- Marek Saganowski has 1 goal so far for Vitoria Guimaraes. The score is 2-0 at halftime as Guimaraes fight to stay in the First Division.

- Krzynowek came on in the 63rd minute in a 2-1 win for Leverkusen.

- Smolarek played the full 90 in a 0-0 tie with Hertha Berlin.

15. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

No offense taken, thanks for your insight on Mila.

We're used to Euro fans telling us MLS is a step down for any player worth more than US$250,000 per year. Of course MLS isn't equal to the top 2/3's of the clubs in the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A, League 1 or the Bundesliga and the Champions League is the best platform for clubs and players in the world . . . no doubt. But I think MLS can certainly be competitive with the bottom 1/3 of the aforementioned leagues, and definitely competitive with Europe's smaller first flight leagues (Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, etc) and several of the larger second divisions around Europe. MLS doesn't pay like any league around Europe so it's tuff to get top players. Then again, MLS isn't almost going bankrupt every year like some of the Euro leagues. But that's my honest opinion, and I'm sure some would disagree . . .eh.

I'm going to forward your overview on Mila to my fellow Fire fans, thanks again!

16. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    no problem

About the MLS thing, I consider it a step down more in terms of because he'll be away from home, and because he won't be able to compete in the CL or UEFA Cup. Although i do believe that the MLS is marginally weaker than some of the European leagues, I meant it in terms of a personal thing for Mila, rather than a general league to league comparision.

17. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Gotcha. Though I think Mila would be alright in Chicago even though its half way around the world from his homeland since we have a heavy Polish population (nationals and Polish-Americans), several Polish neighborhoods around town, various Polish community organizations and our own Polish radio/TV stations and newspapers. Though being in Toronto, I'm sure you probably knew that (sorry if I'm telling you something you already know).

I forwarded your message to my fellow supporters on section8chicago.com (quoted you). Check it out if you have time.

18. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    yeah I totally forgot about that. I bet he would find that really interesting. Moving to Chicago would probably help his confidence a lot too.

The site's pretty cool, I'm interested to see the responses that people give.

19. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    According to which source you read, Chicago has between 300,000 to 600,000 Polish and Polish-Americans in the metro area. We have Polish grocery stores (Bobak's! www.bobak.com), restaurants, soccer leagues, etc . . . in addition to the TV and radio stations and several newspapers mentioned above. Hell, we even have a Polish day parade and city holiday (Pulaski day - http://www.chipublib.org/003cpl/pulaski.html ).

Also a good website of Polish going-ons in Chicago

http://www.polskiinternet.com/english/info/chic/chicago.html

EDIT: Not to mention, that if a player like Mila came to our fair city to play for us he would be treated like a HERO. Polish communities would rally around this guy like we did when Piotr Nowak was here. Remember the Poland/US match a couple years ago her in Chicago? 45,000 - 50,000 fans, 80-90% Polish.

20. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    That's pretty awesome. I was there for the Poland-Mexico friendly a couple years back and it was a lot of fun. I bet that a lot more polish fans would come to the Fire games if Mila was there. I would definately go to the games in Toronto if he ever came to town.

21. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    Maciej Zurawski had a goal today in a 1-1 draw with Hibernian. The game featured 2 polish goalies, Boruc in net for Celtic, and Malkowski in net for Hibs.

22. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
  23. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    good for him. I heard Sporting Braga & Sporting Lisbon are interested.

I also read that Southampton are interested, and that he likes the fact that there are 3 polish players already there. If he goes to Southampton it'll be the biggest mistake of his life.

If he ends up going to Porto, that'd be pretty awesome simply for the fact that Porto has awesome jerseys and I could have his name on the back.

If Janas doesn't take him I'll be really pissed.

24. Jaga

Jaga New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    in my house
    nice il get a jersey too

25. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto