News About el PATO Abbondanzieri (r)

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by zombie 10, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA
    Re: YOUR OPINION ABOUT eL PATO

That he recieved a red card and the manner in which he recieved it makes me think he is even more deserving to not only go to the WC but to be the starting goalkeeper. He is the reason why Boca was able to tie yesterdays game. He responded in the only we he could and did so excellently - if he hadn't been out there, Gallardo would have definately scored the 2-0 and Boca's chanced to tie would have been non existant.

Do I believe he's not as strong as was in a few years ago? Sure. But I also feel that he's playing with a weaker defense than in the past also...at Boca and in the last few games on the NT.

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Interesting point of view. For me, it's the complete opposite.. In the manner that he recieved the red card, it makes me think he is even more deserving to not go to the World Cup. If you do that in the WC, it could destroy your team. Every player is important for the team, and being left with one less is no help at all.. Besides, if he would have stayed at goal, who says Gallardo would have scored? Gago or Krupoviesa could have stopped him by the time he reached the goal, since he still had to run almost half a field more. Plus, we all would probably have said that Farias would have definently scored his other two chances when he was 1 on 1 with el Pato, or Montenegro his one chance.. But they missed them.. Gallardo could have missed his opportunity as well..

Either way, my point is that Abbondancieri is no where near WC level, not even to go as a sub.

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

On Farias's goal he stumbled out, then didn't get back.

Bad positioning, caught in no man's land.

And as for the red card, he'll be facing Didier Drogba or Arjen Robben or Meteja Kezman, not slow-ass (though talented) Marcelo Gallardo.

He wouldn't even get a sniff of those players in the open field and he'd be left standing at midfield while they waltzed into the net.

Is Leo Franco starting for Athletico Madrid right now? If he is, I don't see how a guy starting for a team in the top half of La Liga doesn't beat out what we've seen from Pato recently, including the gift goal against Croatia.

Please don't turn this into a Boca-River thing. Argentina has a real shot here and I'd hate to see bad goalkeeping wreck their hopes. Look at it objectively.

4. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA

I am looking at it objectively, hence the explanations I gave for my statements. As opposed to others on this board who just blurt out a declarative statement without giving objective, hell even subjective reasoning.

The point is this: the defense was in a bad position.

As for the first goal: again, bad positioning from the defense which forced Pato to head out to try and intercept the ball. When the ball didn't meet him, he didn't get back to where he needed to be. Certainly, he shares some responsibility on that goal.

I'm certainly not turning this into a Boca-River thing. Especially since I think Lux should be one of the three GKs.

I wish everyone would just stop thinking that players are better just because they play in Europe.

5. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Well I will no longer be a nice guy,,,, and keep in mind Im a huge Boca fan..... PATO SUCKS and he indeed is garbage..... if he goes to the WC we dont stand any chance at all, his horrific positioning, terrible timing, lack of cofidence almost cost Boca a shot a the title and it may still,,, if Pekermann even still has him on the call up list I have little confidence in him as a coach>

6. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA

To say what you just said, Matias, I question how much of a fan you are. It's one thing to say the guy is going through a bad time - which I do believe he is. (I also think there is more than just his performance which is exposing or placing the blame on him. i.e. a weak defense) But to say the guy is garbage....where were you for the past titles that were one at both the hands and feet of Abbondanzieri. You can't just forget the plays tragectory- ignoring his past accomplishments.

Regardless...Argentina's NT problems are not in the goal (B/C I think Pato, Lux, or Franco will all do fine). It's in the backline...we have no Libero, unless Ayala gets back to form. Burdisso did ok---but he is also missing a year of futbol. We also don't have a stopper--Heinze is not back. Samuel is doing better ---and is probably the best choice there---along with Milito. We also have no DM. I think Mascherano will be back---and that's great. But if he isn't back----the players I've seen play there haven't convinced. Demichelis can play there---but needs a little more support---can't play as a single DM if he's sharing the field with 4 other offensive players up top and Cambiasso.

7. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england

wrong on three counts. one because you are perfectly capable of being a fan while recognising your keeper is shit. just because you are a fan doesn't mean you have to be deluded. two because pato is shit. really really shit. three because argentina's problems are in goal. outfield we have a really strong team. these are just my opinions of course.

8. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Exactly, it doesn't matter who you support, you still know when someone in the team you support is shit and lets face it even Stevie Wonder can see that Pato is a huge, stinking pile of dung.

9. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Ha, ha, ha.. question me as being a fan of Boca?????? Firstly I became a fan at the age of four by choice... my father, my uncles, and cousins all support River:eek: . Only my mother and I support Boca:rolleyes: . Secondly I was there at the Bombonera 25 days ago,,, to the museum, and paid 9 pesos for the stadia tour as well... I cried:D I made it a point to go from Canada to Argentina and spend a day at La Boca and see my beloved stadia... my Dad was told we have no time to see the Monumental .

Now that over with... I find your comments ludricous about Pato being so highly regarded for Bocas succeses over the last few years... have you forgoten that they are not in the Libertadores this time around?? Is Teves not a reason we did so well a few years back?? Heck lookie here we even had Riquelme, Samuel, Burdisso, a fit Schiavi, Ibarra... a younger Schellotto ... but no it must be Pato that made us win... get real!! I did not want to get rude because we are all entitled to our opinions here, but when you question my loyality to Boca.. seriously that was low and when one is so clearly blind to what good goalkeeping should be it then begs the question as to whom is really not being objective here.

On Farias's goal.. yes the defence was caught flat footed, but a good keeper would communicate with the back line and at the very least stay by his line and trust the defence to take care of the onrushing forward.... Pato did not communicate, came of his line with out cutting any angle and in act opened the opportunity for Farias to even attempt a shot on goal from such a position ... solution stay on your line and the shot would have been easily parried over the bar.

On the red card,,, WHO SAYS GALLARDO WOULD HAVE SCORED?????? Not only if this was a WC situation would the number one keeper miss the next game the keeper is now out of the current game, the team is reduced to ten men, the ensuing freekick could have resulted in a goal anyways and the team is still down to ten men and who the hell is Pato to think that that as his position to play?? Once again stay closer to your line cut the angle the best you can and maybe you threw the forward of enough he misses the shot.

10. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Xeneize12:

You're trying to make out as if he planned all along to bring down Gallardo, as if it was a well thought out strategy. Lets get one thing clear, he, Pato, a goalkeeper was standing, virtually, on the half way line. If a player had spotted it he could have lobbed him, played it to another player to the side who could have run on and scored. This was part of no plan but rather another example of Pato having completely lost the plot, what was he doing out there, what was he doing for the first goal. If this guy is no.1 choice as goalie in the world cup I will have a bet with you now that Argentina will not get through the group stage. What if he does something like that in the first 15 minutes of a game, then what, you play with 10 men for 70 minutes, against a team like Holland, this is just pure madness. :mad:

11. chipotaple

chipotaple Member

Mar 31, 2006
    CA
    Club:
    CD Chalatenango

I have been saying all this time: Argentina, wow, what a lineup, but I had totally forgotten about the goalkeeper, what will they do!!

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

A Franco ayer le hicieron tres. Alguien vio los goles? Por lo menos se atajo otro penal, aunque lo hicieron repetir.

13. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe

don't worry pato will get injured before the WC as will Colocini.:)

14. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA

God help us if that happens. :)

15. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    [BigSoccer News] Un año más con Abbondanzieri

Sólo una oferta importante de Europa haría cambiar de rumbo al arquero.

Link To Original Article

16. zombie 10

zombie 10 New Member

Well,...I hope Pato can prove me wrong today, I'm worried!:confused:

17. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe

i am hoping it too. But i know onething, Pato will give absolutly everything because he don't want to be the cause for our failure.

18. shaf-argentina

shaf-argentina New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ

Come on El Pato, we are all behind the lad, arent we? Lets hear some supportive comments here, I know that will motivate some of us fans here.

19. Argentina Girl

Argentina Girl New Member

Jul 7, 2004

Well, El Pato has done some good games on club level, let's hope he now can transform that knowledge into NT level.:)

But if he again plays as he usually does in the NT I hope Pekerman has the guts to put in Franco instead.

20. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The one postitve I can give is that Pato is a solid shot stopper and that many keepers are going to have difficulity with this new seemles ball. I have more faith in Agentinas compusure in the team and the flow of their game than I did even 2 years ago, so that is a good thing and having Heinze, Ayala, Mascherano, and Cambiasso in the squad should very well settle things down for us. From what I have seen from England just now, and Germany yesterday I am not all that impressed by these two so far, hopefully in a few ours we can show we should be considered one of the faves for sure.:)

21. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Am extremely happy that Pato had a good match. Agreed, he didn't have to save too many balls, but he has not done any mistake. And this will give him confidence for the next matches.

22. shaf-argentina

shaf-argentina New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ

The major thing was, he caught a couple of lateral crosses, and kept hold of them. Also a very good point blank save.

23. kevinucho

kevinucho Member

Mar 3, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

pato played 100 times better than usual (with the seleccion)....i was hoping he would show his better side today. hopefully he keeps it up. vamos vamos argentina!!!!!!!!!!

24. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX

Pato didn't play like the pato I have been seeing, excellent job!! Very solid he was unpenetrable today. :)

25. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

I hope today's performance will quiet down some of his harshest critics. Yeah, he had not been in good form but for God's sake, Boca has been playing winning football with him. So how can he be all that bad? In my book, el pato distinguished himself quite well today.