Newcastle vs 'Boro [R] 1/2/06 Pre/During/Post

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Jan 1, 2006.

1. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insert thoughts here.

Apparently Given may play. If he does, I give us half a chance at a draw. If not... :(

2. 'Strobaby

'Strobaby New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's Boro ffs. Surely Harper's not so inept as to let Boro score on him. If we get Emre back (please, Lord, please) and put Luque and Alan up front, we should be able to score more than they do. Of course, with our defense, I just don't know how many we'll concede. :(

3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT was my concern. I have faith in Harper, but he's no Given. Shay's saved that defense more times than I care to recount.

4. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    0-0 tie because frankly we suck.

5. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nothing like a scoreless sister-kisser.

We'll score though.

6. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Doubt it.

Our offense really lacks something without owen

To tell you the truth, I just want shearer to break the record and retire.

7. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    I doubt Shay will play. This will be a tough game, but one that you can win.

Is the game at home or at the canal-side?

8. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's at SJP.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45 Half time at St James in an entertaining first 45 minutes of football
    42 Nolberto Solano puts in Alberto Luque wide right and the Spanish internationals centre is poor and Boro clear
    39 Guidoni Junior Doriva overplays in a dangerous area and Alberto Luque almost capitalises but Boro's Brazilian defender manages to clear the danger
    35 Gaizka Mendieta has his flicked header destined for the bottom corner was cleared on the line by goal scorer Nolberto Solano
    32 Jean-Alain Boumsong again looks uncertain in his clearance putting the Newcastle back four under pressure
    30 Alberto Luque breaks through Mark Schwarzer comes rushing out but neither player with any conviction and the keeper manages to squeeze the ball to safety
    26 Nolberto Solano fires the magpies ahead from a 25yard curling free kick
    24 Mark Viduka is played in by James Morrison but the Australian fires over from 2 yards, the ball popped up of his shin and over
    22 James Morrison fires a volley just wide from 20 yards after a poor clearing header from Jean-Alain Boumsong
    20 The corner was driven in from Nolberto Solano but the Peruvian international could not beat the first man
    19 Nolberto Solano forces Gaizka Mendieta to concede a soft corner for the home side.
    18 Alberto Luque smashes the ball against the Boro bar but the linesman rules the Newcastle man offside
    15 Young Lee Cattermole has started brightly for Boro, winning a succession of headers while under pressure
    12 Newcastle bossing possession in the opening 10 minutes as Middlesbrough are finding it hard to pick up the second ball
    8 Alan Shearer and Nolberto Solano link up well but the ex-England hitman fails to control the final ball leaving the Boro defence to tidy up
    7 Alberto Luque beats the offside trap and has a clear run on goal, the Boro man rounds the keeper and hits the outside of the post from a tight angle
    6 Middlesbrough play the ball into the box early but Gaizka Mendieta is obstructed by Yakubu Ayegbeni and the chance goes begging
    5 Alberto Luque concedes a needless foul as he pulls on the shirt of Gareth Southgate
    3 Free kick to Middlesbrough from 25 yards, Gaizka Mendieta steps up and fires inches over
    2 Alberto Luque playing alongside Alan Shearer today in the absence of the injured Michael Owen
    - Newcastle get the game underway at St James park,
    Ref Steve Bennett

10. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net
    drew 2-2 ..we play crap !! and sick !! we miss emre ..parker .owen !!
    and luque he can see tha goal :eek:

clarck scored in last minute 90 ..

we just need new coach ..with this contract and big money we should by in top 4 .. i dont believe many team dont have big money like us but he play very good and batter than us ..

bolton ..wighn ..blackburn elc !!

11. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that we scored two goals without Owen in the lineup is encouraging. Even moreso is the fact that Given played today. Perhaps the injury is the kick in the arse that this team needed to step up. Then again, Boro could just be as bad as we are. :rolleyes:

12. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    It sounds like luque is improving each game he plays though, he may not have been great but at least you can see he is involved quite alot from that post above from THOMA GOL ^

13. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luque was a "mixed bag" today. He had moments of great play and he had moments of shear laziness.....but I think he is coming along.

14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    For 9 mil he should have been playing well from the get go, not improving. I say can the sad bastard and kiss his poor finishing and way too frequent offsides goodbye. And send Ameobi with him.

15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a couple other NUFC boards, some were quick to offer to fly Luque back to Spain. there were so many emotions going on at that match, so I've read. Bittersweet because it wasn't a derby loss, but it wasn't a win and the tie (allegedly) saves GS again. (sort of like the Columbus Crew's year! :mad: )

16. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure this game saves GS for another spell. The team clearly played like crap.....I think everyone was able to see that.

17. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net
    with 9 mil we can contract with some striker batter than luque ..

search in france league we can find great talent ..like what we have now like nzogbia ..he is great talent come from liga 1 for small money ..

pizzaro from B munich or klose from bremn can by great for us now..

18. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

Although they are not the Chimps, a match against the Smogheads is considered a derby.

19. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    ye but after tearing your hamstring for the first time your going to be very uneasy for a long time not playing the way your used to. and each game he is getting better and better, also you wana get rid of him now, but atm he is getting involved with nearly all of our attacking play and he can only get better as his leg gets stronger. as far as im conserned today was his real debut and i want to judge him from now on.

20. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Blah, clearly not the type of result we wanted, but thankfully Clark saved us there. Defending was horrid(what a shocker) The real question right now is where do we splurge, because we obviously need a CB desperately as well as a striker. A CM wouldn't hurt us either considering how many are injured and with Faye leaving for Nations.

I'm just shocked we scored twice without Owen, let alone once.

21. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When Clark scored, my wife saw my face and wondered "I thought you were cheering for Newcastle???"

My reply: "We were 2 minutes away from Souness being fired... crap!"

Is it just me or has constructing with passes from the midfield has been banned by Souness? All we seem to do is sending in long balls and praying Shearer gets his head to it.

22. 'Strobaby

'Strobaby New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The team has been playing like sh1t this whole season. But at least we got a point. If we can just draw the rest of our matches, we won't get sucked into a relegation battle. It was great to see someone other than Owen score, but we desperately need Emre and Parker. WTF has happened to Carr? I'm not even going to bother asking where Moore is, because I doubt even Souey knows.

23. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word. I got a good feeling about Luque. Before his injury I thought he did alright and now that he's recovering, he's gonna have to shake off the rust.

24. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    There has never been a spanish player come to england and performed in his first season. Just look at Xabi Alonso, last season he was ok but now he's adjusted his style of play and got used to the tempo of the game he's a different player. Luque doesn't lack confidance or skill, he just doesn't know how to play the english game yet. I just hope he's given time.

25. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Does anybody have a downloadable version of that sweet Nol goal?