Newcastle v Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by liverbird, Nov 13, 2007.

1. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Momo was really, really, poor all match long. I'm sure he won't play a part in the Wednesday match.

Torres had an off day finishing wise, but he sliced the defence apart so easily and showed his class in all other aspects of his game. I'm putting him down fro a brace Wednesday. :)

2. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    great stuff -- no international hangover, whew

now the tension builds as we wait to see which Rafa shows up for the post-match press appearance . . . or will it be Miller?

3. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Excellent performance. 3-0 away from home. Up to third, 13 games unbeaten, three pts off the lead. Our players are coming back from injury. We're right back in the mix. Let's keep our momentum going and crush Porto.

4. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We are playing Porto and Masch has had a full rest...we didnt even need his destroying powers, Kewell had another 60 minutes, Agger is getting more fit...there are NO negatives that i can think of in recent times

5. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torres was total crap. Liverpool should sell him to some "little" club during the winter transfer window. Get a finisher. Tim Cahill, maybe. At least he can score, plus he speaks Aussie, so Kewell would be chuffed. Sissoko was brilliant. The tackle on Barton was no where near so physical as Wiley made it out to be. Sissoko was practically standing still.

Gerrard made pass after pass that didn't connect. Good thing he won't be involved in Euro 2008. He'd be an embarrassment. Lucky free kick goal though. And he almost got another one from the left flank. Given gave that one a chuckle.

Another rabbit-out-of-the-hat win against a really game side. Three points are three points.

6. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ......[silence]......

...Where are those damned intrusive supporters...why arent they here attacking our lack of attack and our poor performance in the summer transfer window...[Liverpool BS starting to sound like St. James Park]

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That has to be the most abject performance I've seen an opposing side offer since ... well, since Besiktas. But domestically, I struggle to remember anything worse. There was a game at home to Sheffield Wednesday about eight years ago that springs to mind, but that's it. Newcastle fans must be spewing (well, we saw and heard that they were) - what a shambles of a side. Talk about phoning it in.

I wonder if any of the Merseyside press contingent will ask Allardyce to revisit his comments from last season that Benitez was lucky to still be in a job after just delivering just a Champions League trophy, the FA Cup, another Champions' League final and a Carling Cup final in his (then) three seasons in charge?

Leiva was man of the match - he's got very clear potential. Assured and economical in possession, always unfussy and exact, able to tackle, able to take on a man when necessary ... very, very good performance.

Torres should have had five - sometimes it's good to get the fluff out of your system before a big match though. He'll score against Porto.

Easiest three points we'll get all season.

8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo!

You can see immediately why he has been the U-21 Brasil captain. I think he may have made one or two meaningless fluffs, but the kid sees the whole pitch, like everyone is in slow motion.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    No wonder Utd fans are NOT happy, that wasn't good
    I hope so, someone in big Sam's position should have learnt a long time ago when to keep ones mouth shut. He should have never left Bolton.
    Anyway, as I see it, that's 2 people in good contention for the England job. Sam and Mourine...oh!
    If you'd have asked me at half time I'd have said Arbeloa, I thought he was brilliant. Second half he slowed up a bit.
    Leiva's one problem, is a couple of times when he's been beaten, he'll hack out from behind. Get's him some mouth from Jaimie when he does, plus a yellow in the last match. Needs to control that but what potential for us.
    I felt for him,just wasn't his day, glad Rafa left him on hoping that he'd get the one to help his confidence. Given had his measure. Love his attitude and demeanour on the pitch though, always seems in control of his emotions.

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ******** me, I overslept. Ugh...:mad: The first Liverpool game I miss in months and its one of our best.

From the highlights it seems like Stevie had a really good game which is the most important thing. When he is in form, it seems like our entire team does well and gets the results. I'm glad Kuyt scored one, even though he didn't know much about it. And Babel seems to be more comfortable playing in the premiership, he has tremendous potential and we're seeing bits and pieces of it. Same with Lucas.

I couldn't freaking believe how unlucky Torres was with his finishing. Thats not the first time he had a game like that this season. Does someone have a voodoo curse against him or something?

Ultimately, what more can you ask for than 3 points away after an international break? Made especially great by Bolton's result. :D

I'm feeling good about our chances in Europe!

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What about Derby? That was pretty aweful as well.

12. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Liverpool make the opposition play badly with our pressing. It doesn't just happen.

13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    SG seemed a lot happier after the positioning constraints placed on him playing for England. Free to roam and create like the Babel goal. Imagine if McClarren had let him play instead of making him second fiddle to fat frank. Nah, imagination is not McClarrens strong suite.
    Oh well Englands loss and our gain. I wonder how they'll do under Big Sam.....:rolleyes:

14. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are absolutely right about Lucas --- very assured performance. Babel was excellent as well.

I loved it when the Geordie's started singing Big Sam for England -- the only time they sang all game.

15. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    *sigh*

I miss Babel...

16. RCCook

RCCook New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    He's quickly becoming one of my favorite Reds. His athleticism is amazing; once his footballing skills catch up a bit (and they're pretty good already) he's going to be a dominant Premiership player.

I'm just glad Rafa beat Arsenal to the punch- Babel seems like he would have been as great a fit in Wenger's system as he's been in ours.

17. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    What a brilliant result coming off the break! I hope Fat Sam is choking on it. And hey, Bolton beat Man U, so a cracking day indeed! I'll go ahead and state the obvious, this is the kind of fighting spirit we need for Wednesday.

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yup he certainly would be, he has all the attributes, skill, pace, creativity.

I just hope Rafa gives him more time to play centrally as that is his strongest position and where he is most dangerous but a big plus is his ability to drift wide and play well there too, similar to what Henry was like. All those comparisons make sense the more I watch him play. :D

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    He certainly likes a fluid attack. the one limiting factor as I see it, is he only has one foot and has to go to the right to line up a shot. A good defender can force him out of shooting by not letting him go that way. But not the way he linked with SG today.
    Hopefully the coaches have noticed (Ya think?!) and will work with him on it.

20. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you're correct -- are you ever not? ;) -- but he's sooo bloody quick! If he goes to his left and cuts back, what Torres can do in his sleep, he'll leave the defender counting his change.

21. RedRed

RedRed New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Didn't get to watch the game. Glad we won by 3.
    Fcuking Arsenal scored 2 goals the last 3 minutes.

22. kruG

kruG New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Lisbon
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Congrats people, now just be prepared for that wednesday match, because either you or Marseille are going to jump out after that match ;)

23. RedRed

RedRed New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    *Last 13 minutes. Can't edit. :- /

24. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    When I saw Lucas and Sissoko starting I thought Rafa was giving us all the finger for doubting him but there was genius to all that madness...total control by LFC.
    The first goal was great but the third was fantastic...2nd, although not pretty, was worth as much:D.
    Torres scares me a bit - he makes defenders look silly but he missed 5 clear chances - we are paying him too much to miss that - especially the open goal in the 1st.
    We're back baby...

25. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

I would not worry about Torres. He may not have scored today but he showed he is back to full fitness. He also displayed the ability to isolate a defender and beat him to get a shot away. The team is back to creating chances and is full of confidence. All our strikers plus Babel will all be confident in front of goal. Hyypia and Carra look very composed at the back and are playing better together now than just after Agger was injured. Agger will be back within the next 2 games and Yossi within 3. Kewell and Aurelio are back from long-term injuries. Alonso is probably 2 weeks away. As a squad we are looking stronger than at any time this season.

We have had our best ever start for quite a while and have shown we have addressed our frailties away from home. Let's give Porto a red-hot welcome on Wednesday and keep our run going.