Newcastle United transfer rumours and bollox thread 2

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by sarabella, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Hey Spurs have been utter shit compared to your current squad the last few years (we were excited by the arrival of a 33 yr old Poyet for crying out loud) and we've been around 10th. Look how close the league was last year comparatively. 4th place Everton were closer points wise to the drop zone than 1st place Cheski. It's not like you have the squad of Pompey or Wigan.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Souness is angling for support from the fans and laying the ground work for his exit interview.

3. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    £18 mil for owen, you gotta be jokin!!!, and he don't even wana come here he wants liverpool, so if we can get him on loan sorted!, but if not no-way!, FF cnt even be bothered 2 give 8-10 for luque who can create things but go and splash £18 mil on table for a past it player :mad:

4. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm terrified. I just got up and read Alex_7's post. It would be a thrill to see Owen in black and white stripes. But did Alex just make it up? Freddie matching another club's valuation for aplayer? Unlikely. Do I check NUFC or Sky for the real srory and probably see my hopes for Toon crashed again?Maybe I should go back to bed... dream a little dream of Mikey and Alan partnering up top. Ahhhh.

5. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    i quoted that from sky sports website. i woke up had breakfast infront of sky sports news and then came upstairs no one had posted so i copy and pasted story from sky sports website.

But u gota agree £18 mil??? he aint worth that surly?

6. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex I'm afraid Toon are desperate and everyone knows it. Owen went for 8M to Real last year because Real didn't need him. We are on the verge of having to move for a couple CCC forwards (you could say we already did when Chopra got the one-year extensiopn...) or something, just to have bodies to be able to rest Shearer during the FA Cup ties to lower-league opposition. So if it's 18M, we pay 18M. Life in the big city.

But at least next Wednesday at midnight the window closes and we can just watch some football. The protractced Emre saga exhausted me, tho he does look a good player. The search for a striker has been humiliating. I'm looking forward to the window slamming.

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    No-one has ever said 18million. People have just said it is greater than our current club record which is 15million.

8. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    if hes got 18 mil 2 spend(as it claimed on sky sports news TV) why could he not take an extra million pounds 2 luque?

9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    People with more goals than NUFC this season.

Mark Viduka, 2.
    Lua Lua, 1.
    Nicky Butt, 1.
    Larry Roberts, 1.
    Mido, 1.
    Kevin Phillips, 1.
    Darius Vassell, 1.
    Andy Cole, 1.

There's this youngster in the Coca-Cola Division One named Dean Windass who has 4 league goals and put up a hat-trick last night against Rochdale in the League Cup. He also led the League last year. Maybe Newcastle could take a flyer on him :). A loan deal in case it don't work out.

Thx,

Jay!

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    LMAO.

Dean Windass is nearly 30 and his nickname is pies. :D

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wants to go back to 'pool but says he will come to the Toon on loan. So we instead offer a club record transfer fee for him?
    :rolleyes:

Do the loan deal. 15m+ is too much!!

Then take some of that transfer fee and get a left winger and another striker. It's all so very simple Fat Fred don't ******** this up as well.

12. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    Anyone heard of him before???

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but sounds like our new left wing target.

14. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree completely. Owen would be a god if he came to the Toon on a permanent deal, and I think that's what should happen. Try and bring him permanently, and do a loan if that can't happen, to buy time to get him to buy into NUFC and stay. It's not every day the chance to buy a striker of his caliber presents itself. Then move Jenas to Spurs for 5-6m and Keane, problem solved.

15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must admit that I originally wanted Owen to replace Shearer as the #9, but after further review it's clear that he doesn't want to relocate to the Northeast on anything more then a temporary basis. 15.5 m is too much for a striker with no other offers and no where else to go. So take the loan deal, sign another striker and a left winger for the 15.5 m. Sell Jenas for 10m and tell Spurs to keep Keane and save that money for the winter transfer window.

16. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably money better spent to improve the depth of the club as a whole to follow your ideas, I'll give you that. But Owen was the first option 'all along' for FF, despite all his flip-flopping of whether or not he was actually going to make a move. Now that the club have actually offered a legitimate bid which matched or exceeded valuation for another club's striker, they have to close the deal on a permanent move, imo, or it will be considered another failure.

If I were calling the shots, even for 15.5 million on up to 18 or so, I would do it without hesitation. Owen is 25, on the cusp of his footballing prime despite all his accolades to this point. Why not have his best footballing years wearing black-and-white? He'll bag 20-30 goals a season for the club, a talent which is sorely lacking here. The rest of the forwards/wingers available can't offer that, possibly with the exception of Anelka and MAYBE Keane if he got on a hot streak, the simple reason being that maybe one to two players of Owen's talent level become available every transfer window. Long story even longer, that's why the permanent deal needs to go through, and will be best for all parties involved. Even a loan deal, while good for the club to boost the options, will be seen as a failure to permanently rectify the problem.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think is time to start a new transfer thread.. Toon Toon what do you think?

I like Owen I guess I've never been totally convinced of his skills, but you bring up some valid points TigerDave.

Don't get me wrong I want Owen at Newcastle if he wants to be there, but if he wants to get ready for WC2006 fine then we should take him on loan and get some players that want to be in the Prem like Kuyt, Gouvu, or Luque.

It's really important that we get players that want to be on Tyneside and are willing to make a commitment to the club. If Arsenal, Chelski, Man U, or Pool had come in for him he would be gone right now. We're his fifth choice club.

18. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Don't tell me how to do my job. :D

I suppose so.