Newcastle United 2012/13 Preview

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Russell1892, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With less than a week to go now, I'm looking for your thoughts on how you think we're going to do in the season ahead. Later on in the season we'll look back all smug at how brilliant we are at predicting the future (or not as is probably more likely). So, how do you think we'll do in the following:

Premier League:
    FA Cup:
    League Cup:
    Europa League:

Player of the Season:
    Young player of the season:

And any relevant thoughts you have on those, cheers.

2. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League:
    This is one I'm going back and forth on. Pardew has gone on record saying that the league is still their top priority. I see a little bit of a drop off due to a number of things, European hang over being at the top of the list and towards the end of the season the players just being exhausted due to the number of games. The drop off will not be that drastic though as I still see the team having a chance to play in europe again finishing 7th.

FA Cup:
    This is going to be a theme this season as I think the club forsakes the domestic cups to focus on europe and the league. Teams who only have the league to play or are having poor league seasons and are focusing on the FA cup for glory will field stronger teams than Newcastle will. I could see the team making the fourth round, but could also see them getting knocked out in the third round.

League Cup:
    As with the FA cup, the club will feature youth and reserve players in this competition and get knocked out in the fourth round as their are still enough weaker teams in the competition in the third round to get past the third round first game for the team and it will still be early enough in the season that the team will not have a lot of fatigue and still be hungry at this point in the season.

Europa League:
    I see the team actually having some decent success in europe before getting knocked out in the 2nd knockout stage or the quarter finals. I think they just draw a team that finally takes advantage of the lack of depth and fatigue in the squad. I would be happy with the team making it to those rounds though and feel if they don't make it out of the group than the European vacation was a failure.

Player of the Season:
    I'm torn between Cabaye and Krul. I think Krul becomes one of the top 3 or 4 keepers in the league this season and carries the team at times. Cabaye, freed by the arrival of Bigi and Anita, has a huge season in the center of the park and racks up close to 20 assists in all competitions. In the end I'm going defensive player of the year is Krul and offensive player of the year is Cabaye. I'll also go out on a limb and say both make the EPL team of the season.

Young player of the season:
    Again I'm torn with this one if just because of the sheer number of young players who will feature for the team this season in Ferguson, SAMeobi, Vuckic, Abeid, Bigi, Tavernier, Amalfitano, and Bigi. Based on the preseason and the amount of minutes he played, I believe that Vuckic will finally fulfill his potential and have the best season of all the youngsters. I believe he'll be a fixture in the cup/europe squads and could possibly hit double digits in league games as well.

Russell1892 repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    ManU, ManC, sp*rs, NUFC, Chelsea, Arsenal (finally), Liverpool, Everton, Villa, West Brom, Stoke, Fulham, Swansea, Norwich, West Ham, QPR, Reading, Wigan, Soton , s*nderland.

FA Cup, one win, replay in the next round with us losing on PK's to whoever is leading the Championship.

League Cup, two wins, loss to a top 6 team.

Europa League, Round of 16.

Player of the Season, Krul. Or Colo, or Cabaye or Ba or Cisse.

Young Player of the Season, Is Santon eligible?

Thx,

Jay!

4. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League: Fourth behind MUFC, MCFC, Chelsea.
    FA Cup: Fourth round.
    League Cup: Fourth round.
    Europa League: R16/quarters.

Player of the Season: Cabaye. Could honestly see him getting a ton of assists and a few more goals with two true DMs behind him.
    Young player of the season: Birigimana for me. Has the look of a class player and only 18.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Can I amend my answer? (we got ManU).

Thx,

Jay!