Newbie to EPL needs help

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by AndrewGK, Sep 2, 2002.

1. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Hi :)

I am making a better effort to follow European soccer this year along with MLS. I have a couple of questions that hopefully some of you can answer:

(1) I am looking for some good websites that follow the EPL pretty well. Looking for league stats, especially.

(2) Noticed that there are NO EPL weekend matches, this upcoming weekend. Any reason why?

Thank you very much for your help.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2) This week is an "international" week, so the weekend are set aside for international friendlies. Since every EPL team has a bunch of them, no games are scheduled. Some of the lower division teams are playing though.

3. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
  4. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Should have known ;) Thanks for the heads up!

Brian, thanks for the websites.

5. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I just found out that this weekend they are having Euro 2004 qualifying matches, hence the weekend layoff.

I'm assuming that at this stage, it's a 1 game setup, winner advances, loser stays home... or is it a home-and-home 2 game series to advance to the next round?

6. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

it is a league table. consists of 5/6 teams played over the next year.

7. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the heads up, there.

8. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    for someone who's new to EPL i suggest definately checking out soccernet.com it's really easy to pick up on things there. once you find a team to root for then moving out to skysports and such is easier because you can be team specific. but i started by following soccernet and shortly after got my feet under me. :)

9. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    More dumb questions from your typical Yank ;)

I have heard about the FA Cup and the Worthington Cup. Are both cups open competition where all teams in England can compete for them?

10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The FA Cup is open to any team in the country to compete in, providing they meet a few minor criteria.

The Worthington Cup is competed for by the 92 League sides.