New York/Montreal Road Trip in September

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Formulaic, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of early to start this, but I was wondering who if anyone is going to try and do this away trip September 19 in NY and 22 in Montreal.

Part of the reason I bring this up now is that I want to ride the Amtrak from NY to Montreal. As of now, I don't have anyone doing the trip with me and Amtrak has a 50% off companion fares special for the Adirondak route that runs through the end of June for travel in September....perfect! But I obviously need another person to get the discount. I plan to take the train up on Thursday, and return to NY on Monday (It is cheaper to take the train back and fly home from NY than take an international flight...plus there is a concert I want to go to in NY on the following Tuesday anyway)

For anyone wondering I have estimated that I can do all the travel on this trip for $385, $364 with amtrak discount.

Round trip flight to Westchester: $239 (way cheaper than flying directly to NYC)
    Bus/Train round trip to NY from Westchester: $20
    Amtrak round trip NY to Montreal: $126 (and this would go down to $95 if I find someone to use the discount with)

So there ya go. If anyone is interested let me know. I'm also bugging some friends, but I am not sure how much luck I will have. I think this will be a hell of a lot of fun. NY is one of my favorite places, and I hear great things about Montreal (plus my cousin lives there!)

2. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've found it would be much easier to fly into Newark for this one. Just one train stop away from the Harrison/RBA stop, two stops from Penn Station and you can pick up a cheapie airport hotel and still be near Manhattan.

I'm thinking about it. With playoffs close and everything, I don't know. I'll have school and I also sort of can't afford it but when has that effected me? This is another trip of a lifetime, plus I've already got my passport.

3. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easier certainly but all the flights directly to NY or Newark that I have found were well over $100 more expensive than Westchester, even after adding in the bus/train fare. if you found a round trip ticket for under $260 let me know your secret!

4. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am planning on making this trip, along with one of my daughters and Bobby. Fly in to Newark on Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning, drive up to Montreal Saturday morning, back on Sunday.

5. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flights booked...let go Sporting!

6. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, our group is all booked for the trip...flights, hotels, car!

Anyone else making either of these games? Let me know if you want to meet up for either tailgate, or if you are looking to stay in the same hotels as us!

7. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have no idea where I am staying in New York, but will be with family in Montreal. I would perhaps be down for meeting come tailgate time at least. I've never traveled to a game before so I'll probably just be winging it unless something more formal gets organized hah.