New York Cosmos Games At MCU Park This Season

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by oneeyedfool, Jan 20, 2015.

1. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hearing that the Cosmos may play their May 2nd date at MCU Park in Coney Island instead of Hofstra, and that several other dates may move to Coney Island as well.

Here is the layout for the semi-pro football team that played at MCU. I'm sure the soccer config would be similar:

[​IMG]

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is drawn to scale, the soccer design would have to be much different I think, as the corners would go right into the stands.
    Has anyone ever been to this venue? Would it be better than Hofstra? What's the alcohol policy?

3. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never been there myself but some of the stats:

Capacity – 7,501 (Additional 2,500 available standing room)
    Field size Left Field – 315 feet (96 m)
    Center Field – 412 feet (126 m)
    Right Field – 325 feet (99 m)
    Surface Artificial Turf (2013–present)
    Grass (2001–2012)

Fan reviews and ratings on Yelp look fairly good:

Visiting MCU park was a bit of an odd experience. The park itself, gorgeous, but the cast of characters providing the entertainment, (the Brooklyn Cyclones), laughable at best.
    Grab yourself a cold beer for seven bucks, kick your feet up on the rail and watch error after error courtesy of the Brooklyn Cyclones while baking in the relentless sunshine. Seriously, there is little to no shade, so if you're attending a daytime game, you're screwed!
    The view over the centerfield wall is one of the most unique in all of baseball, professional or whatever this is - little league maybe? Anyhow, it's of some crazy roller coaster with loops, corkscrews, high climbs and big drops. If watching the Cyclones and drinking six Coors Lights doesn't make you sick, the distant roller coaster sure will.
    Oh yeah, we happened to go on Seinfeld day, which included an opening pitch by the Soup Nazi and a complementary Keith Hernandez magic loogie bobblehead... awesome!
    ----
    Perfect spot for a baseball stadium! Near the boardwalk, two blocks from the subway, one block from Nathan's Famous and the lights and action of the Coney Island amusement park in view over the outfield wall. How can you not smile walking in here?
    A little rain delay wasn't going to stop a decent crowd from watching the Brooklyn Cyclones take on the Staten Island Yankees, competitors in the New York-Penn League (short season A). I'm not sure if the game should be classified a typical pitcher's duel or if it was just lackluster offense. Regardless, the Cyclones pulled out an extra-inning, dramatic win with a sacrifice RBI play at the plate. Great ending!
    Tickets were only $10 for the evening game and the park has all the typical food and beer concessions you'd assume, including local favorites Nathan's hotdogs/fries and Brooklyn Brewery drafts. Basically, good time summer fun for the whole family.

Just stick to public transportation, if possible. It looks like parking could be a real pain around here with so many other local attractions.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mcu-park-brooklyn

[​IMG]

4. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true..sweet

5. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Any sources ?
    We have way too many Sunday night games next fall. This venue might help keep attendance from falling.

Sam U El repped this.
  6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes source is with the Cosmos but I can't say who. Not a high level guy.

7. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I know I saw MCU park mentioned here in these threads before. It is a good option, but still not a long term solution.

8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They hope to hear soon on Belmont, after the state of the state address but there are no guarantees. Their allies feel positive about their chances. We will see. They deserve a resolution one way or another.

9. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Agreed, being a tenant at Hofstra is taking away from the Cosmos, just look at the crapy home schedule we got for the fall season.( I know that's a different thread)

10. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't think it is a surprise that the Cosmo's are looking at other options than Hofstra. I don't think they were expecting to have this much delay in getting their own stadium built. MCU is one of three minor league ball parks in the NYC area. If the Mets were willing to get involved with a new football league having the Cosmos playing game in the fall here would not be so far fetched.
    Mentioned the Yankees own their team and stadium in SI and their is also an Independent Altantic League team and ballpark.
    All off college campus and are pro minor league parks so they can sell beer. All with open dates with minor league baseball done in the fall.
    How a soccer field will fit and what would a lease be would be all questions that would have to be taken into consideration.

11. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    This will work and fits perfectly with NYC's goal of making Coney Island 24/7, 365 destination. MCU park is always sell out. Coney Island is packed on wkends. Great F'ing news.

12. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  13. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The venue is being used mostly due to scheduling conflicts at Hofstra that weekend. Although not official yet, high probability the lacross team holds games that weekend in playoffs, so Hofstra would not commit to availability this far in advance.

That said, I don't really have high hopes on MCU being a reasonable alternative to Hofstra right now. First off, it is a baseball stadium and not suitable for soccer. Sure, maybe a one off, but as a consistent home venue it is actually much worse situation than Hofstra. I suppose if Cosmos bought the mark and rebuilt it as a soccer stadium then yeah it would be awesome...but that isn't going to happen:

The Mets affiliate Brooklyn Cyclones play there, so baseball will always be the chief priority. Not to mention, like Staten Island's minor league baseball stadium, both these parks were paid for with public money. There is absolutely no way they will tear it down to build a soccer park for the Cosmos or anyone.

Which brings us full circle, the advantage of being off the D,F,N and Q trains (at the very end of the lines) is obvious....however, what it presents as an advantage over Hofstra in location for NYC residents, it is a disadvantage for LI residents which make up the bulk of their existing fanbase. Also, playing on grass baseball field is not an improvement over field turf at a soccer friendly configured stadium. There would be worse scheduling conflicts at MCU than Hofstra. Finally, the economics don't make sense either as rent is rent. Sure they can probably do better fan things concerning alcohol sales, and other things being off campus...but at the end of the day that money doesn't end up in the Cosmos pockets.

That said, if the Cosmos can build adjacent to MCU Park...Currently i believe there is just empty lot east of the stadium along 15th street. There would be space to build a modest stadium 12-16K but they would have to secure the properties east of 15th street to Stillwell Ave which is behind Nathan's (a parking lot and what appears to be a go-cart track that boarders the boardwalk). Of course, this would require local pols and boards to approve...so could be uphill...then again it is also Coney Island so the roadblocks to adding entertainment options there might not be as difficult as in other neighborhoods.

14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cyclones are in the New York-Penn League which plays between mid/late June and the end of August. So the Cosmos could be main tenant for almost the whole spring season and the fall season after August. That's not bad.

jspech repped this.
  15. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Prosoccercdn and Sam U El repped this.
  16. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I saw a Cosmos add on the subway today for the first time. It was promoting the team in Brooklyn and featured Szetela, Ayoze, & Ochieng; it looked very good.

17. New_York_Cosmos

New_York_Cosmos Red Card

Nov 10, 2010
    Monza
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    are they really leasing nexxfield from OKC?

18. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was mentioned as a possibility last season when they mentioned considering other venues, but I have not heard any specific info. Maybe they are going to put it in place, which would make the field look more professional.
    Obviously, the guy who was stuck with the field last season in OKC probably has no use for it, it wouldn't surprise me if he is leasing it.
    Either, way, covering up the infield will be great, hopefully they have a solution considering it will be an entire season.

19. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Best thing about it is that a block from the stadium is Gargiulo's Italian Restaurant. Food is super, service is great it is my second favorite Italian Restaurant. Best in Brooklyn in my oppionion. Don't eat at the stadium take a short walk and your there.

I go to the baseball games and the doowop concerts there. I don't like baseball but I like taking my Grandchildren to the games. They really know how to entertain children there. I hope the Cosmos let the baseball people run their promotions. They know what they are doing a lot of fun.

Also you got the rides near the boardwalk, and you even have Nathan's. It a fun location. They have fireworks displays there as well.

Bklyn Royals Fan repped this.
  20. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To bad they don't have soccer at Jefferson park in East Harlem. I was born there it was called Italian Harlem back then. That is where I learned to play our football. It has the best Italian restraunt in NY Rao's. It has become Yuppie land now. I rent a place on third Ave. They still have the Giglio feast it in August. Ever have a chance to see it go it's a happening.

21. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, would be great if they had one of those replica jersey (oops its a kit) promotions, like the cyclones have on Thursday games.

22. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #22 nicklaino, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    maybe they will if they let the baseball people run it. You see when the kids run races against the hotdog :) Andrew Dice Clay gives concerts there. They even have the cyclone dancers. We tried to put a professional team at Verranzo sports complex could not work it out because the place is too windy near the water. It would make a nice home field advantage. I am going to be planted their when I die. I am not going to miss any games just because I'm dead. The wife gets upset she wants us to be buried together at the family plot. I told her just think of it as a separate vacation.

23. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    New promotion what pizza is better NY or Chicago. Everyone in the know knows the best L&B Spumoni Gardens pizzeria make a Sicilian that you would kill for. In fact their owner was murdered :) But they do make a crazy good Sicilian pie.

24. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    A draw tonight with Jacksonville is fair but disappointing. Cosmos created some chances in the first half including a beautiful box to box counterattack goal while Jax did little.

The second half was more even, especially after Jax brought on Eloundou & Gebbard whose speed, paired with Banks & Steinberger, caused problems. Banks goal on one those counterattacks was well taken.

Marquez was MOTM for the Cosmos for his goal but Restrepo caused the most danger. My one complaint is that we should have had Amauri on sooner; Starikov faded in the second half, as did the Cosmos in general after Jax played their speed players. Amauri is still a big, aggressive force in the box and he should have had more time to try to get on the end of the crosses that we were serving in. Alhassan likewise should have had more time on the pitch.

The fullbacks played well and I really like Jakovic in the back; he is a very solid player.

It stopped raining by game time but it was dreary and drizzling all day; 3600. The field, or turf, played slow and heavy.

Lastly, it was great to meet and chat with Rocco walking along concourse before the game.

25. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you forget your password for your other account?

As to your point, it's a minor league club with a tarnished brand.

Onionrings repped this.