New USSF shorts?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Nov 20, 2004.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else notice the new referee shorts in the MLS Cup? Kennedy and his crew wore shorts that had the OSI logo on one leg and the USSF crest on the other leg.

Now, I'm actually someone who, after initially thinking they were awful, took to the new OSI/USSF socks. So long as you don't have huge calves, I think they look good and that they add a touch of class and distinction for American referees.

I think the short thing is over-the-top, though. It's an obvious move to attempt to A) get the USSF logo on as much merchandise as possible and B) create new merchandise and increase OSI's sales. With that said, I think it sort of backfires. The logo is so small that people can't really discern what it reads from normal photos and videos, so it doesn't really accomplish the advertising goal. And, since it's not very different from the normal OSI shorts, I don't think too many people are going to go out and buy them--at least not initially. Overall, I just think it's a bit ridiculous that USSF feels the need to have their logo on referees six times.

2. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    Six times...

I hadn't counted, but that is a bit too many. The referee is supposed to not be noticed. With each new change it seems to make the referee more and more noticeable. A time will come where the sum of the changes will result in a loss of authority for looking too rediculous.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the USSF is way out of line to issue the edict stating that if you go with the all black sock you can only wear the ones with the USSF/OSI Logo. As far as I am aware OSi is the only sports apparel company producing them. It is lacking consistency given that it is proper attire to wear a non OSI uniform, but not the all black socks. :rolleyes: Bad move USSF.

4. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    That happened when we went to bright yellow shirts. Talk about noticed!!! It is scary how much OSI is in bed with the USSF.

5. MidwestRef

MidwestRef New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm sure that I'm wrong, but I thought that the ref shorts had the same MLS Cup 2004 logo that was on the shoulders of the players' jerseys. I know that many of the officials wear their NISOA shorts, which do have the NISOA/OSI logo on the front leg, and I thought that maybe Kennedy was wearing his NISOA shorts.

6. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that wearing his NISOA shorts in an MLS Cup would be a HUGE no-no within USSF. I wear my NISOA shorts frequently in HS games and occasionally in youth games, but never in "important" USSF games -- i.e., games that count toward my upgrades, cup games, National League or higher youth games, etc.

7. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    As long as the USSF logo doesn't go across the butt like lots of shorts for girls have taken to doing lately. :eek:

8. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    I always wonder about those shorts with the soccer ball on the butt. What, do you want to get kicked there?

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our refs need sponsorships. ^_^

10. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    "Fly Continental"?

Having said that, I'm so glad to be a lowly grade 7 where this will seldom matter. I think the USSF socks look like a very bad joke (I have long legs and huge calves), but the shorts are far, far beyond the call of duty. I can only wait until USSF mandates that the logo be only on the left leg instead of the right, then changes their decision two years later to "logo on the right leg instead of the left, with a flag on the pocket."

I'm going to go soak in the hot tub before my GU15 game now, and thank my lucky stars I am old (35) and have no ambition.

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang in there, my oldest just turned 36, and I've given up trying to get him into reffing. He hasn't played or done anything with organized soccer since his varsity high school days - except watch the world cup with me. :rolleyes: Me, I can with up with any girls/women's game in this state. :D

12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were definitely USSF shorts, as can be seen here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2004/2004_mls_cup_wj/mls_cup_115.jpg

and here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2004/1114_kc_dc_ajm/web_076_ajm.jpg

Incidentally, as usual, this website had some great shots of the game and the referees, including this one of the conference between Kennedy and Quinsenberry during the Kovalenko incident:

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2004/1114_kc_dc_sab/web_06_sab.jpg

13. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you're going to see MLS referees wearing NISOA shorts on TV.

This is obviously another shameless attempt to get the ref geeks to buy something else new. I'll pass. Besides, now that I'm going to get certified by NISOA, I've got to contribute to a much larger scam OSI has going. :)

14. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
  15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANKS, law5guy.

16. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    And my favorite part is about the BLACK BREIF LINER - (if unwanted liner can be cut out).

17. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are tempted to get these shorts on OSI, go to their HOLIDAY GIFTS 2004 page. They are $6 cheaper there. I needed some new shorts and got a couple of pair. CAme to me within a week. Fit nicely. The RUBBERIZED THREADING indeed does keep your shirt from moving too much while you run. Overall a pretty good value.

Scott

18. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Rather than new features or varieties of shorts, OSI should try adding some QUALITY to its shorts. For whatever reason, all the shorts I've bought the past few years have been OSI and they do not last very long.

As for the USSF logo socks, I have short legs and huge calves. I feel the socks are ugly on anyone, but they are far worse on folks with huge calves because the logo is stretched out so far you can't even tell what it is.

19. ralph shelley

ralph shelley New Member

Jun 1, 2003
    huntington
    Last year i owned four jerseys and shorts. Now with hs ball I'm up to 11 jerseys and four pairs of shorts. And now they have the various beehive
    stuff. I'm going the way of the peacock and may soon need a valet!

20. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just get the biggest bag they sell and you'll be fine. Then, make friends with a kid who caddies at the local golf course and have him carry your bag. You could also import a sherpa from Nepal. :D

21. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    I'm not sure I'd use "value" and "OSI" in the same post. It's not a TOS violation, but it sure stretches credability! OSI's prices are obscene, and I haven't seen anything in their products (other than the USSF logo on one sleeve) to warrant it. In short, I go out of my way NOT to buy their stuff.

While we're on the subject, is it an assessment-killer if you don't wear OSI gear? If so, at what level? I don't see myself advancing anyway (on ambition and age, rather than ability), but that would pretty much seal the deal for me...

22. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not wearing OSI is not an advancement killer nor will it harm you on an assessment. However, if you get to the point where you do the occaional USL game, you will need OSI uniforms and at the very least an OSI polo shirt.

23. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I just bought some really nice adidas referee shorts. Had to get them from England on eBay, but they were really cheap, about US$10/pair brand new still sealed in their original bag. Even with the shipping costs I feel like I came out way ahead. I noticed there is some fraying of the threads in the logo, so it's possible they are "seconds" (or knockoffs, but I don't imagine there's much of a market for knockoff referee shorts) but otherwise they look great and are extremely comfortable. Why no one in the US sells them I'll never understand.

24. Nashvillian

Nashvillian Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Isn't it obvious?
    Did you notice that, in that new Christmas OSI catalogue, there are only four colors of shirts? What happened to the green/teal/whatever it was? Did referees finally reach the limit of their patience?

25. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There hasn't been a green shirt approved yet. I think they toyed with green in the MISL, but it hasn't been introduced yet. I really don't think OSI would care if referee patience was met. If the referee committee approved another color, they would sell it.