NEW USMNT KITS & CREST

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Lucho305, Feb 6, 2016.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    To me its less Pollock and more early 1990’s Trapper Keeper cover art.

If they want an iconic American populist art tribute, Basquiat, Dondi White, or another seminal graffiti artist would make for an all-time great USA jersey that people all over the world would buy.

It’s pretty confusing as to why Nike hasn’t thought of this kind of thing before. Every US Soccer jersey should be a special homage, a special cultural reflection that honors as many American creations as possible.

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The new white shirt is okay.

Compared to the away and the two USMNT releases in 2022 though, it is amazing.

The Clientele repped this.
  3. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahaha! So good.

I’d 100% purchase a kit emblazoned with Walt Whitman, Henry Miller, Bukowski, Poe, Sherwood Anderson and Emerson!

NietzscheIsDead and Three and Three repped this.
  4. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Those in open marriages can have excerpts from Updike, those at least attempting to remain in a state of grace bits from O'Connor.

5. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    I'm not big on analyzing or ordering kits, but I would 100% buy a Grant Wood inspired piece.

6. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dig your interpretation and agree it's a bit of a stretch but with the amount of detail and nuance that goes into the marketing of these things...maybe it'll come out to be true, or at least co-opted as a design point by Nike. And once again -- we could still do this and hoops. Make hoops our image and you can de whatever you want to them. White shirt with Jackson Pollack splotches as the hoops, white shirt with Normal Rockwell Americana scenes as the hoops; white shirt with the friggin Declaration of Independence or Bill of Rights or Constitution or Elvis Presley lyrics as the hoops.

7. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Or even to the Olive York models they put out that a rando guy designed back in September. Their inability to produce literally anything that isn't either utter ----, or middling since like what, 2014 is beyond embarrassing and ridiculous and makes me suspicious that the seeming, right winger, anti-woke rumors that Nike is riven w/a bunch of gen z and millennial wussies that can't handle the idea of using the red, white and blue elements and our flag and traditional badges sensibly might actually be true. How else to respond to ---- jersey after ---- jersey w/stupid looking badges and as little connection as possible to our colors, flag and traditional national emblems.

I can deal with modern ideas, and or artistic expression, the splash jersey is "interesting" if featuring seemingly off colors to me, I don't mind it, but the weird red/blue away kit looks like 3D and Ted Turner coloration gone wrong. It's horrid and painful on the eyes and rather inexplicable.

It shouldn't be this hard. El Tri nearly always has good ones. I always like most of the CAF ones, Japan and South Korea usually roll out nice ones, but ours? ----. Again and Again and Again.

Some dude on twitter took off badges and asked people to id the national teams and it was interesting how some nations have either traditional jerseys with little changes, or such clear, consistent visual vibes, that you can't help but know "oh, that's "Portugal" oh, that's Netherlands, oh that's Argentina". But ours? No such luck. Just ugly, weird, or both, going back years and years.

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Only a trollish ne’erdowell could refrain from purchasing a Bob-Ross-paints-Betsy-Ross version of the hoops as happy little trees.

9. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's so much to work with regarding US kits. Three colors, stars, stripes, the bald eagle, etc. Yet we get weird tye dye kits and whatever the hell that blue World Cup kit was. Hell, they can even incorporate geography, like Slovenia did (still does?) with the mountains. We got mountains, baby! Oh me oh my.

NietzscheIsDead and Bajoro repped this.
  10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I'm concerned, if a kit has even a speck of red and/or blue, it's already a step up from these atrocities Nike pumped out 8 years ago, which stripped the color from even the crest. [​IMG]
    2015 taught me not to expect much from Nike. Pushing the brand comes first, patriotism a distant second.

11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think they'd want to push a brand full of innovative and interesting ideas but....

12. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a gut feeling that while both adidas and Nike care primarily about money, adidas cares a lot more about soccer than Nike does.

13. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An American Gothic jersey would be cool.

14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Having a classy soccer image is part of the prestige of the brand Adidas. Heck, they still produce the Copa Mundial.

Nike’s prestige left with Michael Jordan.

15. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I'm guessing that Nike is feeling pretty good about their soccer image, given that they've got both Haaland and Mbappe signed for the rest of the decade.

16. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    They have pitchmen, sure.

That doesn’t mean that there is artistic prestige in the brand, though.

Three and Three repped this.
  17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nike’s Mercurial line pretty much redefined the standard of how to make a soccer boot. Even though Adidas still makes the Copa it’s not a product they want their top pros in.

18. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The predator line did that, and the Nike that produced that line of cleat is long gone.

19. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bajoro and tomásbernal repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TKyle repped this.
  21. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh.

Monochrome zzzzzzzzzz.

Much moreso that those would look sooooo boring!

I get that it’s been a hot minute since our men have been in the olympics, but to commemorate the occasion with these? No. Just no.

In addition, [checks wikipedia], the US team that year won their first round game (vs Estonia) then lost their round of 16 match (vs Uruguay 3-0). Not exactly a stellar performance to commemorate.

RefIADad repped this.
  22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the same thing, until I realized that the crest was huge and front and center. According to the link from @rgli13, it looks like it would be a throwback to the 1924 US jersey. However, that 1924 jersey had a V neck. Go with the V neck!

23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the throwback idea, but make it a third kit. I also don’t like the huge centered crest. It’s a reason why I didn’t like the white World Cup kits.

One of these days, we’ll maybe see USSF and Nike finally get it right with kits. Predominately white with some sort of red accents. Not difficult to execute. Start with something similar to the Vancouver Whitecaps kit but with red where they have navy and go from there.

24. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont really care what we pair with our still new-ish blue lightning bolts, the current template is garbage. i just want to end up here for the world cup:

2026 wc.png

Semblance17 repped this.
  25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just from poking around a bit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]