New turf for Robertson?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Dynamo_Joe, May 2, 2007.

1. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Over on the UH board some guy posted phonecam pics of the turf being removed. There have been some talk (among the fans) that field turf would be put in but I doubt that. Although it is kind of strange that the entire field would be ripped out in order to re-sod the field.
    I sure hope that it is just sod and not field turf. That would suck and not the way the game is meant to be played. I am a UH alum and big fan but this would suck and I would hope the Dynamo get their own place soon.

I will keep you guys posted.

Link to thread: Is Robertson getting new turf?
    Here are some of his pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Can't check out forum cuz I ain't registered. But surely they mean turf as is grass, not as in...astro? Then Ching would never play at home!!111!!!1

3. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    The discussion a few weeks ago was in regards to moving to field turf. But hopefully it is just new sod. Which will still suck because it will take weeks for it to settle in and our guys will be slipping quite a bit.

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    An installation like Qwest Field or BMO Park would be fine. One like Rice Eccles or Giants Stadium would be brutal. There's a night and day difference between general use Fieldturf and an installation meant for soccer. Look at Saprissa as well. The Giants Stadium install was even shaved shorter after installation for the Gayants, basically ruining the pitch for soccer, although the monsoon match a couple weeks ago showed the advantage of even a poor Fieldturf install in certain situations.

5. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
  6. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that the turf was being replaced. Why not ,the next time the Dynamo will play on it will be the 19th of May. There are no other games scheduled. A new freshly sodded turf will hold up longer through the season than if it was not replaced. It's a smart move. And no it will not be artficial turf like in Toronto and New Jersey(York).

7. KJL473

KJL473 New Member

May 27, 2006
    Livingston
    Didn't they replace the field with some sort of summer grass around this time last year? I remember that the field went from looking great to having a bunch of brown patches on it last spring after they came back from a road trip. I vaguely remember the explanation being that they replaced the grass. I haven't found any old posts on it from last year yet though.

8. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    I'm a frequent reader of those boards and I would be shocked if we were installing field turf without me knowing...

With that said, the above post is right remember last season when they tried to "grow in" the new summer grass but it just left the field in shambles. I assume they are just flat out replacing the current turf with the summer grass. Sounds like a good idea to me, I bet if we have another long break before football season they will do the same.

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn mentioned something on his show this week about them installing new turf. I'm pretty sure he meant natural grass turf. He would've said something if they were installing a FieldTurf surface. He was there taping his TV show, so he probably got a good idea of what they're doing.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think this is the same as what they did last year but they are doing it earlier in the season this year.

Now is certainly the time to do it. We have one home game in a span of 34 days from May 30 to June 2. Following that we have 9 home games in 60 days from June 3 to August 1.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Probably right. The U of H home football season doesn't start until September 22. The Dynamo have a couple of home games early in September and then not again until October 7.

Hopefully they will do the sod changeover in that gap between our 2nd game in September and the first home football game on September 22.

12. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to break it to you guys, but this is the new turf. U of H hired the Puntarenas groundskeeper. :(

13. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Since the last I heard of astroturf was last year when people were talking about a Dynamo/HISD complex, I'm thinking grass. I have a feeling if they were "going astroturf" they'd let us know so that we would be prepared, ie, get the rage out of our system before the first game on the abomination (turf being even more evil than the uni swirl).

I also think the "ring" of grass that was left around the edges hints they'll just be putting grass in. I'd think you'd eliminate every last shred of living plant, even if just for kicks (because what kind of sick freak becomes complicit in such evil?), before you installed the astroturf on top of the dirt. Since they looked to be leaving some grass in the stadium I'm guessing that means grass is going back into the "donut".

14. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Aug 8, 2006
    He's clearly developed that little bald patch or sandbox he had in the one corner of their field into a more sweeping, bold statement, eh?

We giggle, but I understand from a friend some of the rec/youth fields over in France and other parts of the world are just a lined patch of dirt. You don't realize how swank Meyer Park or like setups are until you see how the other half lives.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I have an older, female co-worker originally from Greece. She was confused when I said something about the Dynamo trying to avoid playing on artificial turf and sticking to grass in a new stadium. She said, "Grass? Soccer is played on dirt, isn't it?".

16. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    You do realize a proper soccer specific Fieldturf install is better than many grass fields right? Astroturf is useful for wiping your feet on before going inside. Please educate yourself on the subject.

17. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There, I fixed your post!!:eek:

18. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds painfull. I'll stick to charmin!!!

19. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Aug 8, 2006
    Anything you have to "install" is not fit for soccer playing (and I don't care what they brand it, if it doesn't grow, it's astroturf to me). I've played several seasons on "field turf" (at a local indoor facility, Kicks, for the Houstonians among us) and a lifetime on grass and they don't compare, even lousy grass fields with bare patches, sorry. Among other things, a slide tackle on grass does not necessarily involve a raspberry and a potential staph infection.

20. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Why don't you go back to lurking, Troll. We all know what he meant by saying 'Astroturf'. Even NFL teams stopped putting in 'Astro turf' years ago.

Geez, you think he'd be happy his team won yesterday!

21. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    How's my post trolling? There's absolutely no similarity between Astroturf and Fieldturf. I also like Houston a lot as I lived in Spokane when Ching and Waibel played there. As to the ignorant assumption about Fieldturf just look at Luzhniki, Saprissa, Qwest, Gillette and BMO, plus many, many practice fields for teams from La Liga, EPL, Serie A etc.. In some instances it's better than grass could ever be due to climate or use. That said, I hope Houston stays with grass.

22. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

DELTA DELTA DELTA, can i help ya help ya help ya get the hell out. We invented astroturf here in houston, don't question anyone from houston when it comes to turn talk!!!!!

23. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Oliver Luck and AEG signed the contracts for the stadium lease, Oliver decided that natural grass is the best surface to play on and went with that.
    Nothing will make him or Dom think differently. Enough said. end of this atifical subject.

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*

I feel nervous anytime I see that atpag or the Prophet post in a thread...especially when we have a guest here....at least the Prophet has an excuse.....uhhh.....he's uhhhhh.....errrr....ummm......ahhhhh......he's the Prophet!

Atpag....is well....atpag :) :p

25. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

Even when I am sticking up for a fellow orange guy i mess it up somehow. I guess i need to quit posting and just read. Seriously, i just can't get anythign right with you guys.